Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:38 PM   #1
G51989
Banned

Turns out, open carry seems to freak people out.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-off-tourists/

Quote:
Turns out, people don’t find it particularly relaxing to be surrounded by strangers carrying guns.

The Lake Ozark, Missouri Board of Alderman voted last week to ban gun owners from openly carrying firearms, even if they have a concealed carry permit, because they were afraid that armed individuals would chase away tourists. “We’ve had a tough time over the years promoting Lake Ozark as a family area,” Alderman Larry Buschjost explained. “We want you on the Strip with families, everywhere in Lake Ozark with families. We want you to bring your kids down here and let them loose. For the life of me, I don’t understand why I would have to carry any type of gun, concealed or otherwise.”

The ban was initiated by the local police chief, in part due to concerns raised by business owners.

These business owners’ concerns are hardly unique to one community in Missouri. After a group of pro-gun activists in Texas started showing up at businesses with assault rifles and other long guns, the restaurant chain Chipotle released a statement asking their patrons to leave their firearms at home because “the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers.” Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz made a similar statement, explaining that “customers in many stores have been jarred and fairly uncomfortable to see guns in our stores.” Other companies, ranging from Whole Foods to Toys R Us to Ikea, also ban guns.

Lake Ozark’s efforts to keep people with guns from scaring tourists and other patrons away from local businesses, however, may be short-lived. The Missouri state legislature recently passed a bill that will allow concealed carry permit holders to openly display their guns, regardless of local ordinances. The bill is currently awaiting Gov. Jay Nixon’s (D) signature or veto.

Hmm, turns out people don't like open carry of rifles. To the point where a city in the heart of gun country banned it.

People get nervous around open carry of rifles?

G51989 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post

Hmm, turns out people don't like open carry of rifles. To the point where a city in the heart of gun country banned it.

Another interesting article on Think Progress, people that lie on form 4473.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...t-your-reason/
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

I'm glad that Georgia issues GCL and allows the individual to decide if he/she will carry openly or concealed. There are some states where if you have a concealed weapon, you have to make sure that it stays completely concealed or you have committed a crime. Fortunately, my state realizes that responsible gun owners who carry a handgun visibly aren't the ones that you really have to be worried about. It's the guy who has it tucked into his waistband that is the issue.
Southern Dad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Responses soon to be posted...

"It's our 2nd Amendment right...who cares what the tourists think"

"The store owners don't support our rights"

"The Capitalist entrepreneur store owners are right, for once"

"If we don't carry openly, those armed tourists will have an edge"

"Too bad if people are freaked out...they'll get used to it"

Old Jun 18, 2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
"If we don't carry openly, those armed tourists will have an edge"
Tourists: they're out there, and it's not just photos they're shooting. Protect you and your loved ones from the scourge of tourism with a Franchi SPAS-12 Military Action Semi-Automatic Tactical Assault Shotgun.

...because if you don't get them, they WILL get you.
Renzatic is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

See...I told you so!

Prescience is a gift!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:01 PM   #7
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Gun ownership ought to be a requirement for citizenship.

Forget healthcare or education, if everyone had a gun, problem(s) solved.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:03 PM   #8
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

A society where it's considered normal for an average joe to have a firearm strapped to his belt in open view is not a society I want to live in. It's creepy and I wouldn't want it around my kids. I don't get why some gun owners have a difficult time understanding this.
iBlazed is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Tourists: they're out there, and it's not just photos they're shooting. Protect you and your loved ones from the scourge of tourism with a Franchi SPAS-12 Military Action Semi-Automatic Tactical Assault Shotgun.

...because if you don't get them, they WILL get you.
The SPAS 12 has been banned from importation into the USA for nearly 30 years...The importation ban restriction act was an executive order by the president under national security ruling 18 U.S.C. 925 (d)(3) on sporting restrictions.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
A society where it's considered normal for an average joe to have a firearm strapped to his belt in open view is not a society I want to live in. It's creepy and I wouldn't want it around my kids. I don't get why some gun owners have a difficult time understanding this.
Yeah. Besides, Xanthos X5 (don't google that at work) will solve the need for most guys urges to open carry a Desert Eagle. It worked for me.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:27 PM   #11
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
The SPAS-12 isn't that good of a shotgun. Sure it looks awesome and scares the liberals but it is heavy and in semi-auto mode it can be really picky on the type of ammo you use.
I would recommend Benelli M3 it isn't as cool to look at but it has the same features(pump/semi) and I find them to be more reliable and a lot lighter to carry.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post

I really don't understand. It is already illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits, it is already illegal to point at someone, it is already illegal to shoot someone.

Do these people think passing one more law is going to make them any safer?

Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:29 PM   #12
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yes, better to teach our children to be sheep who can't defend and care for themselves.

Big brother government (who has no responsibility to protect you) will protect you!
Menel is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:33 PM   #13
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Yes, better to teach our children to be sheep who can't defend and care for themselves.

Big brother government (who has no responsibility to protect you) will protect you!
You're right, let's just arm little Johnny so he can shoot mommy and daddy when he decides "he hates them" for punishing him for a bad grade. And you really should lay off the use of words like "sheep", because some people would use that term to describe people like you as well. Constantly living in fear and needing a firearm by your side at all times to make yourself feel secure. Beside the fact if someone really wants you dead they can have it done before you even have time to defend yourself. Just ask the cops that were killed by the Cliven Bundy gun nuts in Vegas.
iBlazed is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:39 PM   #14
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post

Come close, and let me tell you about the culture of fear that's permeated American minds since that dark September day, 13 years ago.

It's not concealed carry that bothers me. Even open carry people don't bother me all that much, even though I think they're goofy and overcompensating for something. It's the fear that has driven people to go out and arm themselves that I take issue with. I'd say we live in an era even more paranoid than the Red Scare. Except now we're not afraid of a bunch of commies half a world away, we're afraid of each other.

It's sad. It's pathetic. It's wrong.
Renzatic is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:33 PM   #15
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Open carry would definitely be a reason for me to declare the state a "no go zone" for myself, I never had the desire to go on vacation to places like Afghanistan, Dominican Republic or Colombia or others with a high weapon presence and where people feel the need to arm themselves so WTF would I go visit a place where there is a raised chance of some crime happening (or why exactly would someone carry a gun with him then?).

I like the open carry as it's enforcing the gap between the US and other western civilizations that are just shaking their heads (or laughing) at the US "gun 'culture'", but I can imagine that you think different if you've been growing up with 2nd amendments and guns and stuff, it's what it is.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Chundles
macrumors G4

If I saw someone who wasn't a cop carrying a gun I'd freak out and run away.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:49 PM   #17
G51989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
The SPAS-12 isn't that good of a shotgun. Sure it looks awesome and scares the liberals but it is heavy and in semi-auto mode it can be really picky on the type of ammo you use.
I would recommend Benelli M3 it isn't as cool to look at but it has the same features(pump/semi) and I find them to be more reliable and a lot lighter to carry.

----------

I really don't understand. It is already illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits, it is already illegal to point at someone, it is already illegal to shoot someone.

Do these people think passing one more law is going to make them any safer?

Clearly the residents and business's and city decided they didn't want ot scare away money coming in, so they banned it.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:55 PM   #18
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

I don't really see guns. But when I went to Washington D.C. I seen everyone who is a some one has a gun. I see the mall cops had guns. I was like "the mall cops have guns? Man I am in one hell of a safe place." But of course everyone with a gun was some sort of law enforcement so I was not freaked out at all. But if I seen so average dude with a gun I would be fine with it as long as they weren't angry or reaching for it or something.
The Doctor11 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:55 PM   #19
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
They're completely preoccupied with their phallic inadequacy(ies), to the point of abject failure at grasping reason, reality, and what it means to be a functional adult human being.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to wrap my house in visqueen and duct tape my windows and doors.

Last edited by FreemanW; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
FreemanW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:14 AM   #20
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
But you're not from 'Murica, so it's a natural reaction.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 05:30 AM   #21
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
How do you know if they are law enforcement or not? Not all law enforcement where uniforms.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:38 AM   #22
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with it being a state issue to decide, but I don't like open/conceal carry except in some extraordinary and jealously guarded conditions.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 07:34 AM   #23
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
But you're not from 'Murica, so it's a natural reaction.
Not really, there are places over my side of the world where you are allowed weapons. Iceland, Czech Republic, etc.

Its just we live in the knowledge that their society's not unhinged enough to walk into an educational establishment and shoot everyone in site.

Ok well apart from Brevik, but they don't do it weekly more to the point.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:22 AM   #24
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
How do you know if they are law enforcement or not? Not all law enforcement where uniforms.
If they're not wearing uniforms then there should be a badge on their belt right next to their gun holster.
iBlazed is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:28 AM   #25
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

You watch too much TV.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues