Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may add an atmospheric pressure sensor to the iPhone 6, according to a report by 9to5Mac. This follows on a rumor from March that suggested the iPhone 6 could include humidity, temperature and pressure sensors when it comes out this fall.

A barometer is used to measure atmospheric pressure, giving indications on current and future weather trends as well as altitude data. The report says new APIs in iOS 8 reference altitude data, including one called "isRelativeAltitudeAvailable" that tells apps if a device "supports reporting relative altitude changes". For an iPhone 5s, the API returns "no".

altitude.png
According to sources at Apple, the Cupertino-company has been working on an updated version of the Compass application that includes altitude tracking, so perhaps that application, which was originally added in 2009 alongside the iPhone 3GS, is what customers will utilize to track their altitude.
iOS 8 is expected to be launched this fall alongside new, larger iPhones. The altitude and pressure sensors could make an appearance in the phone as well as new iPads that are expected later this fall.

Article Link: Evidence of iPhone 6 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Found in iOS 8

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Android phones have had these for years. I hope the Apple one is a little more accurate than the typical android sensor though as it would be more useful

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
(I'm copying this from my comment on 9to5mac because I don't want to re-type it all)

This is exciting news! The Galaxy phones already have barometers, and having another popular phone like the iPhone tracking this information is extremely useful. Some people can make apps that specifically give forecasts for your current spot based on rising and falling pressure. A lot of people are miles or hundreds of miles away from the next closest official weather station where they need to get their weather forecast. This pressure sensor will also help track in real-time where weather systems are if the government agencies don’t have a station in a particular area that a user is in. It can also be used in cases where Hurricanes are passing over cities so you can tell when the Hurricane has left or is arriving.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Don't see what I could do with a barometer or altimeter. Correct me if I'm wrong but most people don't go on adventure hiking for leisure. A thermometer, however, wouldn't be bad at all.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Just what I always wanted.

But seriously, who wants this?

Who cares, it probably comes prepackaged as part of the new silicon they bought. Why are people such self entitled children?

Apple can use all the barometric data and sell it to weather companies for extra money.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

I do. But want blinky notification LED first.

----------

Don't see what I could do with a barometer or altimeter. Correct me if I'm wrong but most people don't go on adventure hiking for leisure. A thermometer, however, wouldn't be bad at all.

Where I live most people do actually. It's one of the reasons I chose to live here.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Who cares, it probably comes prepackaged as part of the new silicon they bought. Why are people such self entitled children?

Apple can use all the barometric data and sell it to weather companies for extra money.

I can tell you the atmospheric pressure almost anywhere in the world right now.

1 atmosphere. Sorry you're bad at science.

Edit: Denver: .9 atmospheres. It's just not a big deal unless it adds weight, at which point I don't want it.

jcbkrmr

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
This could be a great addition to healthkit, along with the M7 you could get a more accurate estimation of calories burned via a exact temps and humidity; and even a three dimensional map of the route you ran.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
This is a feature that should be on the upcoming iwatch, just like the barometer in my Suunto Core watch. This opens up all sorts of cool features such as weather trend arrow and storm alarm which are part of my Suunto Core feature set.

ZarZou

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
iPhone 1 gen

Android phones have had these for years. I hope the Apple one is a little more accurate than the typical android sensor though as it would be more useful

I discover this: (iPhone 1 gen)
Sensors
Compass/ Magnetometer Yes
Proximity sensor Yes
Accelerometer Yes
Ambient light sensor Yes
Gyroscope Yes
Barometer Yes
Temperature sensor No

So ... Is this true ? If yes, why they took it out of newer models ?

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
I can tell you the atmospheric pressure almost anywhere in the world right now.

1 atmosphere. Sorry you're bad at science.

Edit: Denver: .9 atmospheres. It's just not a big deal unless it adds weight, at which point I don't want it.

Not sure if joke or just stupid.

TomUT

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
You can get Altitude from GPS which iPhones already have. There are many apps already on the iPhone that give you the altitude. The fact that Apple is finally including the altitude in the compass app really has nothing to do with including a barometer in the iPhone.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I'm all for an atmospheric pressure sensor for independent (ie: no network req'd) altitude and barometer measurement, but would be concerned that it might prevent the new iPhone from being waterproof.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
You can get Altitude from GPS which iPhones already have. There are many apps already on the iPhone that give you the altitude. The fact that Apple is finally including the altitude in the compass app really has nothing to do with including a barometer in the iPhone.

Not very accurately.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Among obvious weather and density altitude uses...

Indoor locating software wants it, something that Apple is very interested in.

Not sure what you mean.

The barometric sensors used in smartphones (e.g. Android) can tell if you changed floors by either walking up a flight of stairs, or taking an elevator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.