Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abbeyroad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Hi everyone -

I was wondering if I could get some advice about some mp3s I have. The files were transferred from a tape recording, and the sound is a bit muted and there's quite a bit of hiss in it. Is there any inexpensive software anyone could recommend which can help clean up the files a bit, and possibly improve the quality? And realistically, how much cleaner can I hope to get it?

I've uploaded a sample file to YSI in case anyone wants to hear the state that it's in right now. If anyone can offer advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3A1PUK04M8ZPM3A38JE09KNMKJ

abbeyroad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I only know it was transferred from a tape, but I don't have the tapes myself, and I don't think they were kept. So unfortunately the files are the only things I've got to work with...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
hmmmm.... that's gonna make it tough. there was some tape warble in there, so either the tape had stretched or the deck playing it was in need of repair. either way, you've got a problematic digital file.

i don't know about any standalone products, but if you've got access to pro tools, there is a DINR (Digidesign Intelligent Noise Reduction) plug-in which could help clean up some of the noise. but you'd be still be left w/ a small-sounding song, recorded at too low a level, that's barely stereo.

only hope would be some EQ'ing, some kind of expander plug and maybe some compression. i think it'll be difficult to get what you want, though.

good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.