Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Florida dad killed by neighbor’s stray bullet

Another responsible gun owner who just wants you to know that guns don't kill people.

Quote:
A musician, teacher and new father is dead after a stray bullet pierced the wall of his Florida home on Tuesday and struck him in the back of the head. The Panama City News Herald reported that 33-year-old Justin Ayers and his wife were welcoming their 3-day-old baby home from the hospital with relatives when Justin was killed.

The bullet came from the house next door, where 62-year-old Charles Edward Shisler picked up a .9 mm pistol by the trigger, causing it to discharge. When sheriff’s deputies arrived, they found Shisler standing on his porch, although he initially was “belligerent” and uncooperative.

“The damn gun doesn’t usually shoot,” said Shisler, according to his arrest report. “You have to squeeze the hell out of the trigger to shoot it.”

A blood test taken more than four hours after the shooting found that Shisler had a blood alcohol level of .079. The legal limit for driving in Florida is .08.

Shisler told deputies he had tried to pick up the gun by its trigger. After the gunshot, he said, he hastily tried to hide the weapon under his mattress.

Deputies arrested Shisler and charged him with manslaughter and for being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun. He had a previous felony weapons conviction from 2006, according to the Herald News.

Ayers was a guitar teacher at D&H Music in Panama City and toured throughout the panhandle with his band the Ayers. As of Wednesday, the medical examiner announced that an autopsy will be conducted on Ayers’ body to determine the cause of the death and that forensic examiners are treating the two houses as a crime scene.
iBlazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Old drunk kills someone by being stupid...that sounds familiar

http://www.wwltv.com/news/northshore...243574031.html

Just another responsible driver killing people...

ban cars.

But but...he was a felon and shouldn't even own a gun...why didn't he obey the law? Why do criminals think the law doesn't apply to them?
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:53 PM   #3
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Where do you get off calling this guy a responsible gun owner? Even in the article you quoted it stated he was a convicted felon and as such was not legally allowed to own a firearm.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

ban cars.

But but...he was a felon and shouldn't even own a gun...why didn't he obey the law? Why do criminals think the law doesn't apply to them?

WOW!

A totally original analogy.

Never expected that in a "gun thread".

Don't folks ever get tired of the same tired arguments over and over and over again.

I'm amazed at the persistence of presenting the same arguments (which never convinces anybody or changes any minds)...either admirable persistence...or repetition compulsion.

You decide...
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
Where do you get off calling this guy a responsible gun owner? Even in the article you quoted it stated he was a convicted felon and as such was not legally allowed to own a firearm.
Then whoever gave or sold him that gun should be charged as an accessory.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:02 PM   #6
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Do we seriously need ANOTHER gun thread?

Also he was not a responsible gun owner as he shouldn't of even had a gun to begin with. Although being a convicted felon would not prohibit him from handling a gun properly and clearly he did not do that so your snide comment about him being a responsible gun owner is out of line.

So what would you like to talk about in this awesome you started?
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:05 PM   #7
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
How do you know someone gave him this firearm or if was even purchased?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:13 PM   #8
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
So what would you like to talk about in this awesome you started?
The loose attitude this country has regarding guns and their danger. I don't believe that no one knew that this old nut owned a gun. They just chose to let him keep his gun because they probably figured he wouldn't harm anyone.
iBlazed is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:16 PM   #9
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
You highlight one of my issues with gun advocacy groups, and that is their support of straw purchases.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:18 PM   #10
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Also he was not a responsible gun owner as he shouldn't of even had a gun to begin with. Although being a convicted felon would not prohibit him from handling a gun properly and clearly he did not do that so your snide comment about him being a responsible gun owner is out of line.
Being a criminal has little to do with how responsible you are with a gun. This could have been literally anyone. Whether or not he was supposed to have it is kind of moot.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Vanilla Ice
macrumors 6502

I blame the alcohol.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:21 PM   #12
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Someone needs to fact check.

".9 mm pistol"? What was the gun shooting, needles?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:25 PM   #13
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
The loose attitude this country has regarding guns and their danger. I don't believe that no one knew that this old nut owned a gun. They just chose to let him keep his gun because they probably figured he wouldn't harm anyone.
Who are "they"? I guarantee you if the authorities knew he was a convected felon he would of had that gun taken away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Being a criminal has little to do with how responsible you are with a gun. This could have been literally anyone. Whether or not he was supposed to have it is kind of moot.
I guess you did not read my full comment. I said exactly what you said.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:31 PM   #14
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Who are "they"? I guarantee you if the authorities knew he was a convected felon he would of had that gun taken away.

I guess you did not read my full comment. I said exactly what you said.
Yep, except I think that even one of the revered "responsible gun owners" could have been this guy. So I don't think the oP was "out of line".
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:34 PM   #15
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
How do you know someone gave him this firearm or if was even purchased?
So he stole the weapon in question and it wasn't reported? Is that your final answer?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
I blame the alcohol.
I blame the penis state.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:39 PM   #16
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
So he stole the weapon in question and it wasn't reported? Is that your final answer?
How do you know it wasn't reported?
If it was stolen and reported as such are you saying it would have somehow stopped this from happening?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:43 PM   #17
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
How do you know it wasn't reported?
If it was stolen and reported as such are you saying it would have somehow stopped this from happening?
If it was stolen from a gun store then yes it could have been. I would hope security cameras would have seen it happen. If it was stolen from a neighbor I would also think they would have an idea who the felons in the neighborhood are.

Either way Florida ****ed it up. But what else does Florida do.

Now do you know if it was stolen as that is what you implied.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:50 PM   #18
jkcerda
In Time-Out

Impossible, criminals can't have guns
jkcerda is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:52 PM   #19
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Yep, except I think that even one of the revered "responsible gun owners" could have been this guy. So I don't think the oP was "out of line".
I actually think he is trolling according to the forum rules. The OP has not provided any comments for a constructive discussion other then "Another responsible gun owner who just wants you to know that guns don't kill people". That looks like trolling to me.

Rules:
  1. Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.
  2. Repetition. If you repeat the same claims without adding new information, we might remove your posts. Again, if you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.
  3. Trolling. Posts that appear to be designed to cause argument or irritate rather than contribute to a constructive discussion are considered trolling and will be treated as such.
  4. Duplicate discussions. If a new thread repeats a topic that has been previously discussed or debated, without basis for a separate discussion, the thread may be closed, removed, or merged into an earlier thread on the same topic. A news report on a previously discussed issue doesn't automatically deserve a new thread.
edk99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:55 PM   #20
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
If it was stolen from a gun store then yes it could have been. I would hope security cameras would have seen it happen. If it was stolen from a neighbor I would also think they would have an idea who the felons in the neighborhood are.
?? What cameras? Neighbor?

Quote:
Now do you know if it was stolen as that is what you implied.
I wasn't implying anything. I was replying to a Sydde's comment that someone gave or sold him the firearm and my reply was how did he know it was sold or given to him.
I don't know if it was stolen but we also don't know it was given to him or if he purchased it. This is all hearsay the article doesn't say anything about how the firearm came into his possession.

Last edited by lostngone; Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM.
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:09 PM   #21
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I actually think he is trolling according to the forum rules. The OP has not provided any comments for a constructive discussion other then "Another responsible gun owner who just wants you to know that guns don't kill people". That looks like trolling to me.

Rules:
  1. Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.
  2. Repetition. If you repeat the same claims without adding new information, we might remove your posts. Again, if you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.
  3. Trolling. Posts that appear to be designed to cause argument or irritate rather than contribute to a constructive discussion are considered trolling and will be treated as such.
  4. Duplicate discussions. If a new thread repeats a topic that has been previously discussed or debated, without basis for a separate discussion, the thread may be closed, removed, or merged into an earlier thread on the same topic. A news report on a previously discussed issue doesn't automatically deserve a new thread.
It looks like trolling to you only because you disagree with it. I'm just trying to point out another innocent person who was needlessly killed because of our country's sick obsession with guns. I know you would prefer that the liberals not bring stories of gun deaths into the public eye for discussion.
iBlazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:15 PM   #22
jkcerda
In Time-Out

Quote:
It looks like trolling to you only because you disagree with it. I'm just trying to point out another innocent person who was needlessly killed because of our country's sick obsession with guns. I know you would prefer that the liberals not bring stories of gun deaths into the public eye for discussion.
Does your article say the man was a responsible gun owner? Of does it mention he was a criminal?
jkcerda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:24 PM   #23
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I think we have some far bigger fish to fry around here if we want to get into the topic of trolling.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:35 PM   #24
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
Does your article say the man was a responsible gun owner? Of does it mention he was a criminal?
The responsible gun owner remark was obviously sarcastic. Yes, he was a criminal. Perhaps if the average joe weren't able to walk into a walmart in Florida and purchase a gun, they wouldn't trickle down into the hands of criminals so easily.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

ban cars.

Yeah I mean it's not like cars were built for a purpose other than ending life. If only they had some sort of national identification system for car owners where each and every car has an identification number registered to the person who purchased it...
iBlazed is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:36 PM   #25
jkcerda
In Time-Out

Quote:
The responsible gun owner remark was obviously sarcastic. Yes, he was a criminal. Perhaps if the average joe weren't able to walk into a walmart in Florida and purchase a gun, they wouldn't trickle down into the hands of criminals so easily.

----------

Yeah I mean it's not like cars were built for a purpose other than ending life. If only they had some sort of national identification system for car owners where each and every car has an identification number registered to the person who purchased it...
Do you own guns?
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues