Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hey yall, I've been toying with the idea of getting a Macbook ever since I sold my 2011 Pro a while ago and regretted it. I found a user on craigslist near me selling a Mid 2012 13" Macbook Air. It's the 1.8GHz, 128GB, 4GB RAM model. The user says it's like new with original accessories, and has a hardcase. The pictures support this. I offered the seller my 16GB iPad Air in like new condition plus $300 Cash, and they accepted. Is this a good deal?

I figure Apple sells the Mid 2012 13" MBA for $779 refurb, and the iPad Air for $419 refurb, So $300 cash difference is actually a bit in my favor.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Best Buy has the current model MBAs discounted $100, plus $150 edu coupon (which you can find on ebay if you don't have an edu email), plus 10% mover coupon from the post office. Which means you could get a 2014 13" for cheaper than the 2012 refurb from Apple. Plus you'd get the full warranty, which is a huge plus, in my opinion.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I certainly think so! IMHO, the iPad is a toy, the MBA is a real computer. To me your offer was very fair if the MBA is as described.

Lou

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
As another user posted, this is not that good a deal. You may as well sell your iPad on ebay for 400$, take the money, and buy a 2014 baseline MBA at BestBuy for just about 700$. It has nearly double the battery life, better graphics, and better processing power.

Matt

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
As others have mentioned IF you have the funds to pick up one of the Best Buy deals, then sell your ipad on Craigslist or eBay, you will get a much better system for around the same money. Not sure how long BB's sale is running on the new models. That's why if you have the funds, go ahead and get one on the deal, then sell your iPad to recoup that money.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Best Buy deal is much better if you don't mind selling the iPad on your own. Believe it runs through this week for the $100 off, and the $150 student discount seems to reoccur indefinitely if you have access to that. Plus you can get another 10% off with the movers coupon from USPS moving packets. Supposedly that isn't supposed to stack but there are people who claim to have used it with the other two.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Best Buy deal is much better if you don't mind selling the iPad on your own. Believe it runs through this week for the $100 off, and the $150 student discount seems to reoccur indefinitely if you have access to that. Plus you can get another 10% off with the movers coupon from USPS moving packets. Supposedly that isn't supposed to stack but there are people who claim to have used it with the other two.
Here's how the numbers would play out:

Code:
  $799 : Macbook Air 11.6" 128GB (new)
- $150 : .edu discount
- $241 : Best Buy trade-in allowance for iPad Air 16GB
---------
  $409 (before taxes)
Is that the absolute best? No, you can sell the iPad Air on CL or ebay for more money, but for no-hassle, no-fuss... that's a great deal IMO.

I think spending an extra $109 to get a brand new MBA is worth it.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for the help, but I see some potential problems.

I have the student coupon, but it says the $150 is taken off the regular price (so $999 not $899). And it says it doesn't stack with other coupons (movers).

I do have a bestbuy card and could get 12mo financing

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Thanks for the help, but I see some potential problems.

I have the student coupon, but it says the $150 is taken off the regular price (so $999 not $899). And it says it doesn't stack with other coupons (movers).

I do have a bestbuy card and could get 12mo financing

The student discount stacks with the $100 discount this week (I bought one online using both no issue). I know the movers is not supposed to stack but there are people who have had success with it, worth trying. But the $150 and $100 discounts definitely stack.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Good deal. Just got my movers coupon as well so I'll try that out. I assume the 13 is a better buy than the 11 due to battery life? And any clue as to how long the bestbuy deal lasts?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Good deal. Just got my movers coupon as well so I'll try that out. I assume the 13 is a better buy than the 11 due to battery life? And any clue as to how long the bestbuy deal lasts?
Percentage-wise, the best deal is the 11.6" 128GB MBA.

If this is going to be your main system, then I'd suggest going with the 13" MBA. Battery life on all the MBAs are great IMO. But the larger screen AND the SD card slot are things to consider. My daughter bought a 128GB 13" MBA 2 days ago and I ordered a microSD card adapter specifically designed for the MBA so that when inserted it is flush with the body. 64GB microSD card is about $35, the adapter is $15.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Percentage-wise, the best deal is the 11.6" 128GB MBA.

If this is going to be your main system, then I'd suggest going with the 13" MBA. Battery life on all the MBAs are great IMO. But the larger screen AND the SD card slot are things to consider. My daughter bought a 128GB 13" MBA 2 days ago and I ordered a microSD card adapter specifically designed for the MBA so that when inserted it is flush with the body. 64GB microSD card is about $35, the adapter is $15.

This isn't my main machine, as if have a windows gaming PC I built. Anymore, I rarely use it, typically for the few games I play on there. I generally use my PS4. I'm hoping to use this MBA for school, writing papers, web browsing, and a few very, very light games. I think I'd rather have the 13". It's so light weight shouldn't matter.

Does anyone know how "popular" this deal is now? Wondering if I should go tomorrow to pick one up in case they run out Saturday when the deal ends I assume

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This isn't my main machine, as if have a windows gaming PC I built. Anymore, I rarely use it, typically for the few games I play on there. I generally use my PS4. I'm hoping to use this MBA for school, writing papers, web browsing, and a few very, very light games. I think I'd rather have the 13". It's so light weight shouldn't matter.
If you're going to use it for school, then the 13" is the right choice, IMO.

Does anyone know how "popular" this deal is now? Wondering if I should go tomorrow to pick one up in case they run out Saturday when the deal ends I assume
It is very popular here in Arizona. If you want to see for yourself, go to the Best Buy website, bring up the MBA 13" product page and then click on "check availability". You'll see which Best buy stores in your area have them in stock.

Will you be trading in your iPad Air or selling that privately?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Fair Trade? iPad Air for MBA

My girl took advantage of this deal; she walked out with a 11" base model for $695.

Question: is 4 gb enough to run Maverick smoothly?

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
We'll guys it worked. Luckily it was so busy at my bestbuy that the clerk didn't have time to even think about the coupon. 13" MBA for $675 pre tax. As much as I wanted a MBPr, considering this was half the price I won't complain ;)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
We'll guys it worked. Luckily it was so busy at my bestbuy that the clerk didn't have time to even think about the coupon. 13" MBA for $675 pre tax. As much as I wanted a MBPr, considering this was half the price I won't complain ;)
Congrats! What did you end up doing with your 16GB iPad Air? Did you trade it in or are you going to sell it?

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Congrats! What did you end up doing with your 16GB iPad Air? Did you trade it in or are you going to sell it?

I'm going to sell it. I have a Best Buy card, and they had an 18mo no interest financing option so I took that route. I think I'm going to pick up a refurb Mini Retina later down the road. Almost picked one up now since they're $300 with the edu discount

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
As much as I wanted a MBPr, considering this was half the price I won't complain ;)

I felt the same way. That's why I ended up returning my rMBP for the 675 13 inch air. To me the Air is better in every aspect except the screen. As nice as retina may be, it's not worth 5 to 600 more.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Happy with my air so far, except I have one question. does the air have a mic on the screen bezel or is this a chip? i think its a chip, came out of the box this way. its pretty small, not sure if ill exchange

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 116

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Happy with my air so far, except I have one question. does the air have a mic on the screen bezel or is this a chip? i think its a chip, came out of the box this way. its pretty small, not sure if ill exchange

It's a chip. If it bothers you, you could exchange it. I would say if you have a good screen, keyboard, and everything else is good, you may just hold on to it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Yes, look like a chip to me. But it's so small. If everything else is OK, I'd live with it.

Lou

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Yes, look like a chip to me. But it's so small. If everything else is OK, I'd live with it.

Lou

Everything else seems good so far, except the bottom of the screen has almost a gray fade out effect, book binding I think it's called. Is this typical, or a "defect"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.