Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since news of Apple's iWatch development first surfaced in 2012, supply chain rumors and analyst speculation have all pegged its display size at a modest 1.3 to 1.7 inches. Earlier today, Reuters released a report suggesting the display will be much larger than anyone expected, coming in at 2.5-inches diagonally.

MacRumors forum member Lewis Dorigo has previously speculated that the iWatch would have a 2.45-inch display with a 480x640 display, and has even created a crude mockup depicting what an iWatch of that size would look like on a wrist.

iwatchmockupimage.jpg
The status bar shows the current connectivity of the device that the watch is connected to. If it's connected to an iPhone, it shows the iPhone's cellular and wifi signal strengths. If it's not connected to a device, it just says "iWatch", much like iPods (and iPads without cellular) do.
On his blog, Dorigo goes deeper into his predictions for the iWatch, explaining that a 2.45-inch iWatch with a Retina display of 480x640 would have same pixel density (326 ppi) as the iPhone 5s, the iPhone 5c, and the Retina iPad mini. He's speculates on what a 2.45-inch iWatch's UI might look like, with the creation of several mockups with an iOS 7-style design.

While several rumors have suggested the iWatch will indeed run iOS, it is still possible that Apple could go in an entirely different direction with the device, creating a standalone interface or an iOS-based interface that deviates from the iPhone's interface.

Dorigo suggests that 80 pixels of the screen might be reserved for a CarPlay-style digital home button, leaving a 240 pixel space for apps, but that's pure speculation -- Apple could also choose to place a physical home button on the side of the device.

Along with a home button built into the screen, Dorigo imagines a largely touch-based interface, where Siri is activated via a press on the screen and individual apps have large, easy-to-press buttons. He also speculates on what the interface might look like when connected to an iPhone, as the iWatch is rumored to be heavily integrated with existing iOS devices.

iwatchmockup.jpg
Crude mockup showing size
While Dorigo's speculation gives a look at what a larger iWatch might look like, the device's screen resolution and prospective user interface remain a mystery at this time.

According to rumors, the iWatch is expected to include a range of health sensors, such as a pulse monitor, along with wireless charging capabilities. The iWatch is expected to make its debut in the fall, possibly at an October event.

More of Dorigo's predictions on Apple's iWatch can be found on his blog.

Article Link: iOS Interface Depicted on a Hypothetical 2.5-Inch iWatch Screen

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I just laughed out loud in the tram when I saw the first mockup. Now everyone is looking at me. Thanks for that

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
These mock ups get worse and worse but Macrumours still publish them..

What next, a mock up drawn in sand?

All very well having a bigger touch screen, but battery capacity is still limited…

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
oh dear, seriously ???

my cat took a dump in the shape of a round watch... must be a mockup of the iwatch quick post to front page.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012

The quality of mock ups is really going down... I mean I know it's 'crude', but duck tape and paper? :rolleyes:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
These are not even rumours anymore. It is just speculation by an amateur that is not in any way connected to Apple at all. I could draw an interface on a pink elefant's ass and it would be equally relevant.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Haha, WHAT?! MacRumors, seriously? You SERIOUSLY just reported this? I'm beginning to question the eligibility of MacRumors as a news source.

iMatamoros

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Apple is sure experimenting with new materials, lol, whats next a mock up of the next gen MBP made out of duct tape?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It would be good if one of the moderators here would for once take a stand and explain what is going on here. The level of reporting is going down and from the reactions shown here it is quite a common and broad view that this is the case.

At least go and discuss it with the editors because this is getting ridiculous.

Switchfoot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
I thought for sure you guys were doing a "we know all the mockups/pictures are funny" prank post. Kept reading till I realized nope, it really is a post about a man putting packing tape around his arm and calling it news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.