Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-B-P

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Car guys and/or girls,

Can my damaged side skirt be repaired at an auto body shop?

Last week I drove over a curb entering a parking lot while in a hurry. My C350 Benz came down hard and the side skirt ended up cracking (see pictures). I’m not very knowledgable when it comes to cars and wanted to know if the side skirt can be repaired at a body shop, or will it have to be replaced with a new side skirt?

I can hold the piece that is falling off into place with my hand, but it will obviously not stay in place. And the crack would be visible. I was thinking it can be glued on, sanded, and repainted. But again, I don’t have much knowledge in this area.

If it can be fixed, about how much do you think it would cost at a shop? Just a rough estimate. A hundred, a few hundred, close to a thousand, etc.? If it has to be replaced with a new one, about how much will I be looking at then?

I wanted to ask here before taking it to a body shop so that I know what I will be working with. Any help will greatly appreciated.

Lastly, does anyone here know of any good body shops in the north/central Jersey area?

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3,011
  • DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,161
  • DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,278

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Car guys and/or girls,

Can my damaged side skirt be repaired at an auto body shop?

Last week I drove over a curb entering a parking lot while in a hurry. My C350 Benz came down hard and the side skirt ended up cracking (see pictures). I’m not very knowledgable when it comes to cars and wanted to know if the side skirt can be repaired at a body shop, or will it have to be replaced with a new side skirt?

I can hold the piece that is falling off into place with my hand, but it will obviously not stay in place. And the crack would be visible. I was thinking it can be glued on, sanded, and repainted. But again, I don’t have much knowledge in this area.

If it can be fixed, about how much do you think it would cost at a shop? Just a rough estimate. A hundred, a few hundred, close to a thousand, etc.? If it has to be replaced with a new one, about how much will I be looking at then?

I wanted to ask here before taking it to a body shop so that I know what I will be working with. Any help will greatly appreciated.

Lastly, does anyone here know of any good body shops in the north/central Jersey area?

Take it to the Mercedes service center. The only way you'll really get a deal at a regular auto body shop is if they order a non OEM part. If the fit is perfect, then a non OEM part would be just as good as it's only a side skirt. But you'll be taking a chance, cause you won't know until after it's done. So if you want to save yourself any possible additional headaches, just go to a Mercedes service center and have them replace for an OEM part. The OEM part will cost the same with them vs any Auto body shop. Labor might be a little more expensive, but not by much.

BTW ... forget about repairing it. Especially on your own.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
If you're handy, I wouldn't listen to the previous poster and just research how these are attached. You may be able to find a replacement for it online for much less and install it yourself. Stuff like this is usually held down by a bunch of screws so it shouldn't be all that difficult to replace on your own. I've done removal of side skirts on older cars and it's not that hard. New cars are slightly more complex but these are still removable by regular humans in most cases. Just have to be careful.

Start with car-part.com. You might even find the one in the right color which will save you painting costs. I've done that with my old Miata for both doors and found both right and left in the right color on different junkyards within driving distance.

Of course if you're rich, go to the dealer but prepare to pay out of the wazoo. That's why I avoid the dealer like the plague as much as possible.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Time to contact your local Pull A Part or junkyard. If you take it off yourself it shouldn't be too expensive.

Maybe his area is better, but I know there is no Mercedes at a junkyard around my area.

I agree that it probably shouldn't be repaired. Just replace.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think it’s all been covered but to reiterate your options:

Get an OEM part from a Merc dealer, these generally come pre-painted.

Get used part, of course, subject to availability (plus requiring a match for paint, year(s), model)

Get an aftermarket part, will probably need additional prep, could have fitment issues, will likely need paint work.

For any of the above, you _could_ do the work yourself - I’d be surprised if that rocker wasn’t simply held on with 8-10 fasteners. The dealer would probably just suggest doing it themselves (option 1 above).

Depending on the material (is that poly-U? fiber-composite?), a body shop could probably pull it, repair, and paint. If that’s not a special paint color/code, it should be easy to match (white), and that’s a good spot for a repair (low and less noticeable) and not a huge flat surface area (won’t show paint issues as easily).

Again, option 1 (topmost) including letting the dealer do the part swap is by far the easiest option, also very likely the most expensive. Personally, I’d do a quick internet search and review of some local body shops and at the very least drive by a couple and get a quick estimate, or at least confirm that’s even an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.