Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
You usually read on these forums about problems with different Apple models, whether it be iPad or MBA and it usually the base model. Does buying a higher-end model in any way guard against problems or are there simply fewer mentions of such models and problems because fewer people buy those?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Your chances of a failure should be roughly the same. They're built in the same place, by the same machines and people, and use mostly the same components sourced from the same vendors. There's no way to predict failure. In the past, some of the higher end models have had more problems, such as the Radeon failures in the more expensive 15 and 17 inch 2011 MBPs.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Considering the systems have the same fans and heat sinks, any of the expected lifespan would be completely independent of Apple manufacturing, as all the Apple parts are the same.

The processor and SSD are independently made, and the SSDs are essentially the same, so they will be as reliable. Technically, we could argue that larger SSDs will have longer lifespans due to the number of actual die on the drive, allowing for more space to be corrupted before the drive is useless (I don't know too much about hard drives, so don't take my word for that). The i7 processor runs hotter than the i5, so there is the potential that it could go bad more quickly, and potentially damage surrounding components. RAM produces some heat, so the more RAM you have, the more likely your computer will be damaged.

Overall, the there is probably no benefit of having a maxed out system, in terms of lifespan at least. The parts of the baseline systems are sourced from the same manufacturers, and in many ways, they are the same machines externally. If anything, they will produce more heat, and the people using high-end machines are typically pushing the machine to its limits, reducing lifespan.

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.