Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callawayno1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Can you upgrade the memory your self on it or is it not changeable , and can you switch the hard drive your self , its on a 27" imac latest 2014 modell?

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
If you're asking about the low cost iMac introduced a couple if days back, then no, its memory is soldered in... There was no other iMac introduced in 2014 so far. I remember an article about it, but dont have the link with me right now.

Edit: just read your original question again... Looks like you are asking about the 27 inch iMac, but the latest was introduced late 2013, not 2014. As others have mentioned, the memory in the latest 27 iMacs are user upgradable.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
The memory is VERY easy to upgrade. Push a button in on the back near the power plug and a little access panel opens. There are 4 slots behind the panel (2 filled with the stock Apple memory and 2 empty). You put the paired memory in slots 1&3 and 2&4... so if your original memory is in 1&3, put the new memory in 2&4. I always get memory from Crucial and have NEVER had any problems. Much lower cost then getting the memory from Apple.

I agree with the responses that the hard drive is not easily replaceable. Do a web search for iMac 2013 27" hard drive replacement and look for a guide from iFixit. I have replaced the hard drive and optical drive in a 2009 iMac with SSD drives but those were pretty easy. The glass comes off those very easily as it is held on by magnets. On the newer iMacs, the glass/display uses an adhesive to hold it in place. You have to carefully break this adhesive bond and gently pry up the display. Not something I would want to try. The glass is also thinner and could break during this process.

Bottom line... get the stock memory and easily upgrade it yourself. Get the largest hard drive you think you will need from Apple. I just got a new high end 27" iMac last week and got the 3TB Fusion drive. Oh, and get Apple Care. I never did in the past but just had a 14-month old iMac fail (logic board and hard drive). It would have cost over $1,000 to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.