Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
selling iTouch 5th gen with outdated specs for almost 2 years and no update and same price for the 32gb ?

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Nobody knows for sure. There haven't been any rumors regarding a new iPod touch. Apple may update it, continue selling the fifth generation, or discontinue it. We'll just have to wait and see.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Nobody knows for sure. There haven't been any rumors regarding a new iPod touch. Apple may update it, continue selling the fifth generation, or discontinue it. We'll just have to wait and see.

ridiculous I'm expecting an updated iTouch

there is no way they can't do it, the processor is outdated and they need to make the device optimized for iOS8.

something thats fine in my iPhone, crashes on the iTouch. its a necessity for POS and order taking systems.

No one is going to look forward to buy an off contract iPhone and a linea pro sleeve , which for a single unit would cost 1,200 in total.

compared to $800 for the touch and linea pro sleeve

Delgado2003

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
iPod touch Gen 6

The iPod Classic with the wheel has a special place for music fans with large libraries who choose to retain those libraries locally. It limits them to a cable output for sound system connection. No bluetooth, no Airplay.

For many others, their phone acts as the iPod especially if they use cloud music streaming/web radio etc. But many people's iPhones are business/job related devices so some might get a separate personal device for music/video/photo. And if they do they'd like it to be smaller than the iPad mini.

For me, the next iPod should be in touch format with just the new large iPhone screen size - for video & gaming. Faster than current processor plus the larger format would allow bigger Gb storage. 128/256gb storage plus A7 processors are current real technologies and may combine with that screen format.

That would be a big step forward in a gaming/personal media device.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
The iPod Classic with the wheel has a special place for music fans with large libraries who choose to retain those libraries locally. It limits them to a cable output for sound system connection. No bluetooth, no Airplay.

There are other reasons as well, for example, I like the relative simplicity of the non-touch ipc and physical controls on the device itself (even when I use an in-line remote).

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I have a iPod 4g and it is very fast on ios 6.1.6 even though it is running the A4 chip and 256mb of ram. Apple will most likely release a iPod 6g alongside the iPhone 6 but it probably will still have a last gen processor (A5X or A6) or they could do something different and combine all the iPods :eek:.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
If Apple does release a new touch; I would think it would have an A7 SoC and 1GB RAM. It will be needed for new iOS8 and to future proof it for several years after that too!

Probably an increase screen size maybe 4.7" or bigger since it is used for view stuff and games as well as music. I like to see a 5" size myself.

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
If Apple does release a new touch; I would think it would have an A7 SoC and 1GB RAM. It will be needed for new iOS8 and to future proof it for several years after that too!

Probably an increase screen size maybe 4.7" or bigger since it is used for view stuff and games as well as music. I like to see a 5" size myself.

That would be awesome!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
A5 chip.
800MHz Dual Core 32bit with 512MB... no go for me in 2014.

Outdated means it can't keep up with current software or function.

What software doesn't the iPod Touch run?
... they could do something different and combine all the iPods :eek:.

They could continue the current iPod line up.

I think it would make more sense to flip the Touch into the iPad category and call it an iPad Nano by rebranding it, jamming up the processors, and maybe enlarging it to the 4.7-5.5" coming paradigm.

That would help it sell, detach it from the iPod line which is crumbling, and give marketing honesty to what it is.

The iPod Touch is a sought device for kids, people with strict budgets, as a control surface, as service devices. It is doubtful that Apple would cut that product out entirely. This year or the next update beyond it might bring re-designation of the Touch.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have a iPod 4g and it is very fast on ios 6.1.6 even though it is running the A4 chip and 256mb of ram. Apple will most likely release a iPod 6g alongside the iPhone 6 but it probably will still have a last gen processor (A5X or A6) or they could do something different and combine all the iPods :eek:.

I doubt it would ever get the A6. IOS9 will need an A7 or better and they will not release a new design that's obsolete next year. I also doubt the Touch 6 will be released this fall alongside the iPhone 6 since Apple is releasing so many products this fall that they will not have time for the Touch (iWatch, iPads, iPhone, Macs, etc.). If they do update the Touch, expect it spring 2015.

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I doubt it would ever get the A6. IOS9 will need an A7 or better and they will not release a new design that's obsolete next year. I also doubt the Touch 6 will be released this fall alongside the iPhone 6 since Apple is releasing so many products this fall that they will not have time for the Touch (iWatch, iPads, iPhone, Macs, etc.). If they do update the Touch, expect it spring 2015.
Hopefully they will lower the price of the current ipod touch in the mean time

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Are you serious ?
You know very well that the A5 chip doesn't support all features of iOS 8.

Are you using iOS8?

Again--OUTDATED?

Are you serious? Is there even a beta of iOS 8 in the hands of anyone outside of Apple at this time? Let's be current: A5 is not outdated. It will be, as are all processors in time, but it isn't outdated now.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Are you using iOS8?

Again--OUTDATED?

Are you serious? Is there even a beta of iOS 8 in the hands of anyone outside of Apple at this time? Let's be current: A5 is not outdated. It will be, as are all processors in time, but it isn't outdated now.
First of all, yes, iOS 8 is in public developer preview beta, in the hands of many developers and testers outside Apple.

While current 5th generation iPod touch may work fine for folks like you, the truth of the matter is that (1) Apple is moving to 64-bit architecture (Metal API only supports A7 or better) and (2) it has 3-year old iPhone 4S spec, which is ancient by mobile standard.

Let's face it. As much as I like iPod touch, it is the Mac mini of iOS device, rarely receiving updates and when it does, receiving last year's components. Which is a shame since I prefer to use iPod touch as a "scratch device" for development.

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
With the discounted prices on the iPod 5, I wonder if Apple is just trying to clear their inventory for an iPod 6. Or it could be that Apple is planning to discontinue the iPod altogether. If that is the case, I wonder why they started discounting the 5 in July?

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
With the discounted prices on the iPod 5, I wonder if Apple is just trying to clear their inventory for an iPod 6. Or it could be that Apple is planning to discontinue the iPod altogether. If that is the case, I wonder why they started discounting the 5 in July?

I don't see them discontinuing their "gateway drug" to the iOS world. It may not have a lot of growth, but remove it and you're going to see a drop in growth for the other iOS devices - I'd estimate enough to justify keeping the touch around long-term.

You also have to factor in how many parents buy an iPod Touch over a DS or PS Vita for their kids. This is substantial, as it gives Apple a foothold in a market that they didn't even design a device for. A parent buying a device sees that with iOS that games are far cheaper (Free or a dollar sounds a hell of a lot better than $40+, even if the console is a bit cheaper), and that the device will do far more.

I think we'll see an iPod touch 6G, but I'm questioning if we'll see it this year or not. If it does indeed come, I can guarantee that it'll have an A7 and bigger screen, and that it'll be touted as a gaming device just as much as media device.

The current 5G is very capable, despite the internals not being the latest and greatest. In real-world usage, it's not all that different from an iPhone until you're getting into the majorly graphics-intense games. It's also still selling - now even more so with the major price cut. Because of that, Apple doesn't *need* to update it this year. They still might, but I won't be surprised if we see an iPod event in spring of 2015 to introduce new Nanos, Touches, and perhaps a major iTunes update.

Time will tell, but I think we'll definitely see a 6G touch. It's just a matter of when.

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
I don't see them discontinuing their "gateway drug" to the iOS world. It may not have a lot of growth, but remove it and you're going to see a drop in growth for the other iOS devices - I'd estimate enough to justify keeping the touch around long-term.

You also have to factor in how many parents buy an iPod Touch over a DS or PS Vita for their kids. This is substantial, as it gives Apple a foothold in a market that they didn't even design a device for. A parent buying a device sees that with iOS that games are far cheaper (Free or a dollar sounds a hell of a lot better than $40+, even if the console is a bit cheaper), and that the device will do far more.

I think we'll see an iPod touch 6G, but I'm questioning if we'll see it this year or not. If it does indeed come, I can guarantee that it'll have an A7 and bigger screen, and that it'll be touted as a gaming device just as much as media device.

The current 5G is very capable, despite the internals not being the latest and greatest. In real-world usage, it's not all that different from an iPhone until you're getting into the majorly graphics-intense games. It's also still selling - now even more so with the major price cut. Because of that, Apple doesn't *need* to update it this year. They still might, but I won't be surprised if we see an iPod event in spring of 2015 to introduce new Nanos, Touches, and perhaps a major iTunes update.

Time will tell, but I think we'll definitely see a 6G touch. It's just a matter of when.
Thanks for your thoughtful analysis. Since the iPods are usually a generation behind the iPhones, I too wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a iPod 6 until a year after the introduction of the iPhone 6. Since I have an Android phone and like to have 64 GB of storage for my music and apps, I am still a fan of the iPod.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
I don't really see the appeal of iPods even for the kids. Many parents are giving away their old devices to their kids (with SIM if they are old enough and without SIM if they aren't.) instead of buying them a new device.

Kids straight up ask for iPhones, not iPods because nowadays almost everything, almost always requires internet connection. Just imagine using your iPhone without internet. Yeah, there are offline games but kids like to get on YouTube or play some online social games and IM each other. Sure, iPods can get on the wifi but they are at school most of the time which won't offer wifi for the most part.

I loved my iPod Classic but I feel that without consistent internet connection, iPods don't have a place in the market like they used to and will continue to loose its place more and more. Perhaps few years ago it was valid. I feel that parents' hand-me-downs iPhones are the real "gateway drug" to iOS, really.

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014

This is a very good point. Many of the forty dollar lego games for the ds or other systems can be found in a condensed version for the ipod for free. The games for the ipod also do not have to be stored on a shelf and you will not lose them like you can with the tiny ds games. There are also so many more games like Angry Birds that kids love.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't really see the appeal of iPods even for the kids. Many parents are giving away their old devices to their kids (with SIM if they are old enough and without SIM if they aren't.) instead of buying them a new device.

Kids straight up ask for iPhones, not iPods because nowadays almost everything, almost always requires internet connection. Just imagine using your iPhone without internet. Yeah, there are offline games but kids like to get on YouTube or play some online social games and IM each other. Sure, iPods can get on the wifi but they are at school most of the time which won't offer wifi for the most part.

I loved my iPod Classic but I feel that without consistent internet connection, iPods don't have a place in the market like they used to and will continue to loose its place more and more. Perhaps few years ago it was valid. I feel that parents' hand-me-downs iPhones are the real "gateway drug" to iOS, really.
I agree, and declining sales figures for iPod Touches over the past 3 years appear to support that belief. I think that if Apple was actively looking to the iPod Touch to be the gateway to iOS then they would dramatically drop the price to increase sales for younger people. I don't think a reduced iPod Touch price would cut into iPhone sales.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I agree, and declining sales figures for iPod Touches over the past 3 years appear to support that belief. I think that if Apple was actively looking to the iPod Touch to be the gateway to iOS then they would dramatically drop the price to increase sales for younger people. I don't think a reduced iPod Touch price would cut into iPhone sales.

Decreased? There may not be growth, but figures I've seen have simply shown that they're steady - not declining.

If you've got a source that says otherwise I'd love to see it.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Nobody needs an A6 processor in iPod Touch. It isn't designed for that purpose where raw performance is critical to the usefulness of the device. If this is important to you, you must buy an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.