Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Hi guys,
I would like to get some information about this monitor before I buy it.
As 10.9.3 comes out, does this monitor support 60 Hz? What about the retina scale?

Thank you for your information

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Hi guys,
As 10.9.3 comes out, does this monitor support 60 Hz? What about the retina scale?

60Hz via Thunderbolt and Displayport. 50Hz via HDMI.

No idea on scaling, but it probably does. Although who knows why you'd bother.

Also if you do buy one, let others know where you found stock. These things are extremely rare, and some places are on back order until August as LG can't make them fast enough.

Shrapnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
I got this monitor in May from Newegg and just got my nMP with D700's on Friday. Using DisplayPort and the separate USB3 uplink cable works fine at 3440x1440@60hz. I just got a Thunderbolt cable yesterday and it has not worked so well thus far.

The display will blank out like its a loose connection or something. Thinking it's either the TB ports on my monitor, the TB cable, or hopefully something with 10.9.3. I know 10.9.3 has some bad graphics challenges at the moment. It made it so that one of my two GTX 780's stopped working on my 3 monitor Hackintosh. Had to revert to 10.9.2 to fix that.

For "Retina" display, you can enable it with a terminal command. The general rule of thumb then is your effective resolution is 1/4 of native. So 1720x720.

-Shrapnel

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hi guys,

Have had this LG 34UM95 34" IPS Panorama UltraWide QHD Monitor 21:9 3440x1440 HDMI DP Thunderbolt connected to my MP6,1 12core/1TB SSD/64GB RAM/Dual D700s since Mar 18th, 2014. It's connected via TB cable and has given me no issues. It runs at 60GHz. It's very nice. I'm running 10.9.3.

It was ordered via Amazon/seller MNW GLOBAL. Cost was $1499.

pstrudl

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Austria
34UM95 and MacPro

Got this beautiful monitor last week using it in a dual screen configuration with an Eizo CG241W hardware calibrated monitor aside. Connecting via Thunderbolt seems the only reliable connection so far. Using a DisplayPort cable has issues when waking the MacPro from sleep (10.9.3) and the screen stays black most of the time.
HDMI is only 50Hz and occasionally the monitor blinks for a moment and a cracking sound is heard through the monitors speakers. This is maybe because I use a very long (7m) cable and my MacPro is sitting on a board aside from my desk. I had to order a 10m Thunderbolt cable from OWC because of this - still waiting.

dpavid

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
Mililani, Hawaii
I just ordered 2 from B&H. Says it'll ship June 30 but I don't expect it to arrive within a month. Keeping optimistic that'll run in a dual monitor setup nicely via thunderbolt. That's one of the main reasons I bought it.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I just ordered 2 from B&H. Says it'll ship June 30 but I don't expect it to arrive within a month. Keeping optimistic that'll run in a dual monitor setup nicely via thunderbolt. That's one of the main reasons I bought it.

That will be an amazing setup. I have one setup on a Ergotron LX mount. I would love to get another and set it up portrait! :eek:

ticotoo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
LG34UM95 B&H ship date

I wouldn't count on getting your LG34UM95 's by that date. Mine has been on order from B&H since May 13th & was suppose to be shipped June 6. Now they say the back orders will be in on June 30th. IF you are lucky they may have enough to fill the back orders & the new orders.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I wouldn't count on getting your LG34UM95 's by that date. Mine has been on order from B&H since May 13th & was suppose to be shipped June 6. Now they say the back orders will be in on June 30th. IF you are lucky they may have enough to fill the back orders & the new orders.

Did they charge you for the product at order, or are they going to do this when it ships?

pstrudl

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Austria
Do the colors seem accurate next to your Eizo monitor?

Better than expected. In a quick side by side comparison of print PDFs there is nearly no difference after calibration with i1Display Pro. Also in Lightroom photos are very close on both monitors. Maybe there are colors that are harder to display, so I will check this later.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I ordered one from Newegg yesterday. Think I got the last one, will be here tomorrow, or I guess today since it's after midnight now. Can't wait to get it!

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I've been eyeing this monitor since it was announced. Seeing the first couple of YouTube impressions and reviews made me want it even more. But something is going on. Either LG completely understated the demand for it and can't fulfill orders quick enough, or they are having supplier issues, or something is going on regarding manufacturing problems.

It's a shame. Having more horizontal space like that would be a godsend in professional applications for music and video, but I was always hesitant in buying into the smaller 1080p versions of the ultra widescreen format. 4K @60Hz is not quite ready for mass adoption just yet, so this would be a perfect middle-of-the-road approach for a lot of people, especially at the $899 price point.

Will just have to wait and see. Hopefully ASUS, Samsung, and Dell are noting the demand for these and will come out with comparable units that you can actually buy.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I've been eyeing this monitor since it was announced. Seeing the first couple of YouTube impressions and reviews made me want it even more. But something is going on. Either LG completely understated the demand for it and can't fulfill orders quick enough, or they are having supplier issues, or something is going on regarding manufacturing problems.

It's a shame. Having more horizontal space like that would be a godsend in professional applications for music and video, but I was always hesitant in buying into the smaller 1080p versions of the ultra widescreen format. 4K @60Hz is not quite ready for mass adoption just yet, so this would be a perfect middle-of-the-road approach for a lot of people, especially at the $899 price point.

Will just have to wait and see. Hopefully ASUS, Samsung, and Dell are noting the demand for these and will come out with comparable units that you can actually buy.

Lots of display issues regarding backlight bleed it seems. A suppler/seller in the Netherlands stated this recently.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040916793&postcount=1810

AOC and Dell are planning units, although AOC are dropping the hardware LUT and Thunderbolt to get a lower price. No word on the Dell one sadly.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Ugh, that sucks. I was about to pull the trigger.

Hmm maybe I'll give it a bit of time to see if LG gets the issue resolved. My Dell experiences have been mixed. I'm on a Dell display now that has a broken USB hub and a slightly flickering backlight.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Ugh, that sucks. I was about to pull the trigger.

Hmm maybe I'll give it a bit of time to see if LG gets the issue resolved. My Dell experiences have been mixed. I'm on a Dell display now that has a broken USB hub and a slightly flickering backlight.

At the moment LG's monitors have disappeared really, so it's best to wait and see what they do. Most likely getting a new revision out.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
At the moment LG's monitors have disappeared really, so it's best to wait and see what they do. Most likely getting a new revision out.

:(

However, I do have one of the first ones on a Windows PC, and I guess I got lucky because there is no backlight bleed and its a great monitor! I am really wanting to get some for my nMP...

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Mine is out for delivery right now. I'm gonna daisy chain it off of my Thunderbolt display and do a side by side comparison. I'll post pics later tonight after I play around with it.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Mine is out for delivery right now. I'm gonna daisy chain it off of my Thunderbolt display and do a side by side comparison. I'll post pics later tonight after I play around with it.

Remember the LG has a hardware LUT, so it can look stunning when calibrated.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009

Looking forward to this! I bet it will really shine against the Thunderbolt...

I have seen one calibrated LG in person and it was amazing!

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Remember the LG has a hardware LUT, so it can look stunning when calibrated.

Yes one of the reasons I got it. I was tired of waiting for an update to the Thunderbolt display. I do photography so I'm really looking forward to the added real estate when working in Lightroom and PS. The Matte screen should also help a lot. Only thing I'm going to miss is being able to charge my rMBP off the TB cable and the ability to use the keyboard buttons to adjust volume and brightness of the LG. I can live with those things though.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
She's here!!! I had to move it into the kitchen to do a side by side with the TB display. It was just too big for my office desk. Here's a quick size comparison photo. I set both to Adobe RGB (1998) and these are the default settings on the LG. Unfortunately I have to take off to run an errand right now, but when I get back I'll play with it some more.

This is running off my late 2013 15" rMBP and daisy chained off the TB display for now. I'll also have to make a new wider wallpaper for it.

You can see how the Matte screen helped with the reflections in the room. The TB display looks horrible next to it.

p592105885-6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.