Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Just got my Test Drive confirmation today. Went to the T-Mobile site to start the process. It turns out that T-Mobile is placing a $699 hold on participants debit/credit cards in order to do the Test Drive. Wow! I don't need to play with an iPhone 5S on the T-Mobile network that bad.

Here's the language from the site:

T-Mobile Test Drive is free with no obligation to buy, but if the iPhone 5s comes back with a cracked screen, damaged screen display, water damage, active Find My iPhone feature, or can't be powered on we have to charge a $100 damage fee. If you don't return the device, we have to charge $699.99 plus applicable taxes.

A hold for $699.99 + taxes will be placed on your credit or debit card. The timing of releasing that hold will vary by credit card company. We won't charge your card unless you fail to return the device.

Got it? Good. Now go give our network a workout.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
i really don't see the problem with this.

I'm not saying it's a problem. I have an iPhone 5S on ATT and just don't want to tie up $700 for a mostly unspecified period - because, as you know, debits/charges happen instantly, but credit back to cards can sometimes take 10 or more days.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
It's a hold, they aren't taking the money out.

Not having the money available either via credit or debit is essentially the same effect - less access to your money. I only posted this as an FYI. Obviously individuals will decide on their own if they want to participate based on the conditions.

----------

Why don't credits come back like debits do?

This should have been fixed by now

Banks and credit granting businesses make interest on your money - the longer they hold it, the more interest they make. Thank you U.S. Congress for this consumer unfriendly policy.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Holds can take 1 day to release. They aren't a refund that can take 3-7 days. I see no issues with this either. They have to cover themselves.

Reactions: rjohnstone

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Holds can take 1 day to release. They aren't a refund that can take 3-7 days. I see no issues with this either. They have to cover themselves.

I'm sorry, but this simply is not universally true. I've seen hotel, rental car, and other business holds take up to 10 days. AGAIN, I didn't say it was an issue - just an FYI for people who want to participate.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'm sorry, but this simply is not universally true. I've seen hotel, rental car, and other business holds take up to 10 days. AGAIN, I didn't say it was an issue - just an FYI for people who want to participate.

Are you sure it was a hold? I use a credit card to put a hold on a room and pay with my bank card then. That money that was on hold, it got back the second I checked in and paid with another one.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
I feel like if a person can't spare the loss of access to $700 of credit for a week (or even two, if the hold really does take that long to release, which is doubtful), he/she shouldn't be considering purchasing such an expensive device...

And yep, the hold is absolutely (and obviously) necessary to prevent people from just keeping the phone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Holds don't really cost you anything, if you do them on a credit card.

- You don't have to pay interest on the money.
- It doesn't affect what you owe at the end of the month unless they actually charge your card.
- When it goes away it's like if nothing was there.

Now, holds on debit cards can be a problem because that's *actual* money you can't use. But on a credit card, it's just "imaginary money" from your credit line, that doesn't actually affect your assets.

This is why you should never use a debit card to check into a hotel. :)

Reactions: rjohnstone

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I feel like if a person can't spare the loss of access to $700 of credit for a week (or even two, if the hold really does take that long to release, which is doubtful), he/she shouldn't be considering purchasing such an expensive device...

And yep, the hold is absolutely (and obviously) necessary to prevent people from just keeping the phone.

I agree. People were also moaning about this on the news story. :rolleyes:

I'm certain some document you signed in the T-Mobile store stated that they were going to put a hold on your credit card. :p

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I know with my bank a hold stays on for 3 days then falls off. I'm not sure if tmobile reauthorizes every 3 days or if there is a way to place a longer hold?

On this subject, I wish Verizon had something like this. Several members of my family get no service at there new home with AT&T, so we are thinking of switching, but I don't think we want tmobile. How does this differ than the 14 day(or whatever it is) that you have to return a phone if the service does t work at Verizon?

fresh801

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Indiana
I know with my bank a hold stays on for 3 days then falls off. I'm not sure if tmobile reauthorizes every 3 days or if there is a way to place a longer hold?

On this subject, I wish Verizon had something like this. Several members of my family get no service at there new home with AT&T, so we are thinking of switching, but I don't think we want tmobile. How does this differ than the 14 day(or whatever it is) that you have to return a phone if the service does t work at Verizon?

Verizon does.Go into a Verizon store and let them know you would like
to check their coverage in your area.And they will give you a loaner phone to test.Side note it will not be a iPhone

joplinG5

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
Are you sure it was a hold? I use a credit card to put a hold on a room and pay with my bank card then. That money that was on hold, it got back the second I checked in and paid with another one.

Most hotels don't initiate an actual credit hold like the one TMO is doing. They just request the card number so they have a backup payment source if you don't show.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Verizon does.Go into a Verizon store and let them know you would like
to check their coverage in your area.And they will give you a loaner phone to test.Side note it will not be a iPhone

Great, that's a I need, I don't care what kind of phone it is. Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Just got my Test Drive confirmation today. Went to the T-Mobile site to start the process. It turns out that T-Mobile is placing a $699 hold on participants debit/credit cards in order to do the Test Drive. Wow! I don't need to play with an iPhone 5S on the T-Mobile network that bad.

Here's the language from the site:

T-Mobile Test Drive is free with no obligation to buy, but if the iPhone 5s comes back with a cracked screen, damaged screen display, water damage, active Find My iPhone feature, or can't be powered on we have to charge a $100 damage fee. If you don't return the device, we have to charge $699.99 plus applicable taxes.

A hold for $699.99 + taxes will be placed on your credit or debit card. The timing of releasing that hold will vary by credit card company. We won't charge your card unless you fail to return the device.

Got it? Good. Now go give our network a workout.

And you are surprised because?
What you think they wont cover themselves if someone decides to walk away and never bring the phone back?
No, they will start handing out brand new iphones left and right and hope everyone will bring them back a week later.

Exactly.
They're going to put a hold on my credit card and I won't even notice it since its not really a charge and its not like I'm near my credit limit that I need to use all available credit or I'm going to go over my limit.
Credit issues.....

joplinG5

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014

You'll pay a restocking fee and pay for your cell usage during the return period. Restocking fee is $50 for smartphones and $75 for tablets. TMO is VERY adamant about collecting restocking fees regardless of return reason.

If your credit card can sustain a $700 hold for a week to 10 days... then taking the test drive is the best way to go.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
This was made clear when they announced the program a few days back. If one can't afford a $700 hold on their CC for a week, they shouldn't be considering an iPhone. I think this is a great opportunity and signed up a few hours ago to test out tmobile. I won't be switching after 7 days unless they pay my etf, but it will inform my decision when I upgrade to the 6S.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Not having the money available either via credit or debit is essentially the same effect - less access to your money. I only posted this as an FYI. Obviously individuals will decide on their own if they want to participate based on the conditions.

Not an opinion on the T-Mobile situation, but your statement applies only to debit cards. On a credit card, you are technically using the banks' money and you are required to pay them back. It is never "your" money. I just want to make sure that distinction is more clear to people, especially those living close to the edge.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
The number of people who don't use credit cards and only debit cards would surprise you.

For many different reasons a lot of people only use debit cards.

I would bet that 75% of the people on this site couldn't afford a $750 hold on their debit card.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2014
The number of people who don't use credit cards and only debit cards would surprise you.

I would bet that 75% of the people on this site couldn't afford a $750 hold on their debit card.

im an debit card only holder lol, i dont like owing ppl anything, if i cant afford it aint for me ,but you have to keep 1 for emergency purposes

Imaginator

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
The Cosmos

This thread is silly. Of course they're going to put a hold on your card for the amount of the device they are letting you take out of their store to try for a week. If you think you're going to walk out of a T-Mobile dealer with a free iPhone, you are clearly mistaken. Not to mention, if you can't afford to have a $700 hold on your account for a phone that costs $700, you shouldn't be buying a $700 phone in the first place.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.