Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Please help, I am spazzing out!! This has happened to me once before, so I reacted better to the situation. I spilled some water on the computer, but not a lot. I'd say 70% went to the keyboard, and 30% towards the screen, where I think it could have gone inside of the computer... BUT, I reacted VERY quickly and instantly. Literally not one second from when I knocked over the glass with water and it spilled, I grabbed the laptop and turned it over. then I (holding the laptop upside down) held the power button till it shut off - i shut it off, it did not shut off by itself. then i grabbed a towel and wiped away all the water (though there was not much). then I left it upside down for a few minutes, and i grabbed some tissues, and (holding it upside down) wiped every little corner I could reach. I could not open the screws, because I had nothing to open them with. I kept it upside down at all times, then I put it in a plastic box, without the lid. i put rice on the spots where the screen bends, on both sides... The computer stayed upside down (in the box), with that part covered in rice. then I used the see-through foil to make it air tight, and carefully covered that box with wide tape to make sure it was air tight. Before putting it in the box, I did try to turn it on 2 times, just by pressing the power button, and nothing seemed to happen. now it's gonna stay like that in that box for the night. What to do now? please tell me how to save this laptop... my parents will kill me. Put the box in the sun? under a light? take the laptop to service or let it stay like this for a few days? what should I do?? Thanks in advance :p :(

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Please help, I am spazzing out!! This has happened to me once before, so I reacted better to the situation. I spilled some water on the computer, but not a lot. I'd say 70% went to the keyboard, and 30% towards the screen, where I think it could have gone inside of the computer... BUT, I reacted VERY quickly and instantly. Literally not one second from when I knocked over the glass with water and it spilled, I grabbed the laptop and turned it over. then I (holding the laptop upside down) held the power button till it shut off - i shut it off, it did not shut off by itself. then i grabbed a towel and wiped away all the water (though there was not much). then I left it upside down for a few minutes, and i grabbed some tissues, and (holding it upside down) wiped every little corner I could reach. I could not open the screws, because I had nothing to open them with. I kept it upside down at all times, then I put it in a plastic box, without the lid. i put rice on the spots where the screen bends, on both sides... The computer stayed upside down (in the box), with that part covered in rice. then I used the see-through foil to make it air tight, and carefully covered that box with wide tape to make sure it was air tight. Before putting it in the box, I did try to turn it on 2 times, just by pressing the power button, and nothing seemed to happen. now it's gonna stay like that in that box for the night. What to do now? please tell me how to save this laptop... my parents will kill me. Put the box in the sun? under a light? take the laptop to service or let it stay like this for a few days? what should I do?? Thanks in advance :p :(

Leave it in rice for a day or two and hope for the best. But it sounds like its fried. Im sorry :(

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Agreed with above poster about rice (and that it sounds fried). Unfortunately your parents won't be happy, but it's better to come clean than try and scrub evidence of liquid damage. It is what it is, so prepare the puppy-dog eyes!

Try look at the positives:

-home insurance can cover accidental damage, if your parents have the right policy
-repair cost might not be too high (take it into Apple for assessment)
-leaving it in a bag of rice often does wonders

Best of luck OP, hope all is okay.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Not much you can do at this point, you can't remove the battery so there is always some kind of power going to the logic board. I can't believe the number of threads I see on here where people spill something on their MacBooks. And to think you've done it once before is even scarier. I keep liquids a good distance from my laptop for a reason. Good luck with the fix.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
My black Lab knocked a beer from ~4 feet away on to a brand new Macbook Air December/2012. It was still under accident warranty coverage, but I had to take a loss on it.

I got my medical card, but I had been documenting a medical grow on my Air before it was legal. Shrug, move on and buy another one.

Such is life.

Tom

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My black Lab knocked a beer from ~4 feet away on to a brand new Macbook Air December/2012. It was still under accident warranty coverage, but I had to take a loss on it.

I got my medical card, but I had been documenting a medical grow on my Air before it was legal. Shrug, move on and buy another one.

Such is life.

Tom

What are you talking about, Tom?

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Side note: You should not have tried to turn it back on.
Main note: Rice is pretty passive and may take more than 2 days to get at pockets of internal water. My advice is based on what I did after knocking a beer downy the back of my air. Open it and lay it on it's side. Prop a hairdryer on low heat something like 12-24" away to blow air across the screen down into the machine. DO NOT put the hairdryer too close so as to over heat the screen!!! Leave this thing on for as much as 2 hours but be warned this could be a fire hazard so do not leave it unattended. Go get a pentalobe screw driver and open up the back to confirm water is gone. Use ifixit for tips/tools. If it still won't turn on you are indeed up sh_t creek.
Final note: Ignore people who lecture you about drinking near your computer.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
What are you talking about, Tom?

Quite simple.

As a patient who qualified for medical MJ I applied for an ATP (Authorization To Possess). I started growing before I received it; and documented my first grow in vides, pictures and a diary (on my MB Air). Beer accident, and that's it.

Absolutely would not take the Air to get fixed and take the chance that evidence of this would be found. I would have faced mandatory jail time.

Simple.

It was a $1200 kick in the crotch, but losing my freedom would hav hurt more.

Tom

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Quite simple.

As a patient who qualified for medical MJ I applied for an ATP (Authorization To Possess). I started growing before I received it; and documented my first grow in vides, pictures and a diary (on my MB Air). Beer accident, and that's it.

Absolutely would not take the Air to get fixed and take the chance that evidence of this would be found. I would have faced mandatory jail time.

Simple.

Tom

Well that makes sense. But you could have taken out the SSD and securely erased it and reinstalled OSX using an external USB drive like those made by OWC or Transcend. Put it back in there and shipped it off for your insurance claim.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Apparently a mod deleted posts on this thread.

The OP brought it in for repair. Why was that post deleted?

Those of us reading this thread would like to know the outcome.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Well that makes sense. But you could have taken out the SSD and securely erased it and reinstalled OSX using an external USB drive like those made by OWC or Transcend. Put it back in there and shipped it off for your insurance claim.

With my health (and hands) I am no longer capable of doing that :( When it comes down to the crunch I had to chalk it up as a loss. That I could afford to buy another MB Air was a blessing.

Tom

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Quite simple.

Simple.

Tom

Just an idea, then don't post on the Internet about it. Just saying.

That being said liquid damaged electronics are a pain. While I never lost one of my Macs to it, my iPhone 4 was peed upon by my dog.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Apparently a mod deleted posts on this thread.

The OP brought it in for repair. Why was that post deleted?

Those of us reading this thread would like to know the outcome.

Uhhh, no they didn't. The OP posted the same thread twice, with only a few characters difference in the title. You're now looking at the thread that they have apparently abandoned in favor of their other one.

There is no mod conspiracy. ;)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Uhhh, no they didn't. The OP posted the same thread twice, with only a few characters difference in the title. You're now looking at the thread that they have apparently abandoned in favor of their other one.

There is no mod conspiracy. ;)

I see. I thought I was losing it. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.