Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahamut91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
Hello everyone!
I'm an Italian guy and I'm going to spend 4 days in New York. I'd like to buy a macbook pro retina 13'' (1799$ version), but I want it with the Italian keyboard layout.
I'm afraid that it may be not available in the store, so I thought to buy it online and choose the "pick up" option...but ~150$ are added as taxes. If i buy it directly in the store there would be taxes as well? I'm sorry but I don't know how your tax system works! What is the best solution?

Thank you!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hello everyone!
I'm an Italian guy and I'm going to spend 4 days in New York. I'd like to buy a macbook pro retina 13'' (1799$ version), but I want it with the Italian keyboard layout.
I'm afraid that it may be not available in the store, so I thought to buy it online and choose the "pick up" option...but ~150$ are added as taxes. If i buy it directly in the store there would be taxes as well? I'm sorry but I don't know how your tax system works! What is the best solution?

Thank you!

Sales tax in the U.S. is charged based on the location where the customer takes possession. If you're picking up in New York City you will be charged New York State and New York City sales taxes, whether you buy directly in the store, or have an order delivered to the store.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
New York City has one of the highest sales tax rates in the US, anything purchased there will be taxed at 8.875%

If you go across the river to New Jersey, you could do it for 7%. Or go down to Delaware where they don't have any sales tax. You could order a computer from a vendor that doesn't have a physical presence in New York and avoid taxes if it were shipped to you, but not directly from Apple since they have stores there.

You should do some research though, you might be able to get a refund if you're "exporting" the computer. You also need to check to see if there are any import duties in your own country when you bring a computer back home.

Bahamut91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
Sales tax in the U.S. is charged based on the location where the customer takes possession. If you're picking up in New York City you will be charged New York State and New York City sales taxes, whether you buy directly in the store, or have an order delivered to the store.

Ok, thank you! The doubt occurred to me because if I select "shipping option" it seems like no taxes are added (even if I choose to send it in New York), while if I select "pick up option" taxes are added. Is that normal?

I doubt you will find a non-US keyboard in an Apple store in the us

The option for the Italian keyboard is available in the online store...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
New York City has one of the highest sales tax rates in the US, anything purchased there will be taxed at 8.875%

If you go across the river to New Jersey, you could do it for 7%. Or go down to Delaware where they don't have any sales tax. You could order a computer from a vendor that doesn't have a physical presence in New York and avoid taxes if it were shipped to you, but not directly from Apple since they have stores there.

You should do some research though, you might be able to get a refund if you're "exporting" the computer. You also need to check to see if there are any import duties in your own country when you bring a computer back home.

Um, LA is like 9.75% if I remember. Some city in Alabama is 10%. That's absurd.

I miss the days NJ was 6%. If the state wasn't so greedy, it would've been more than enough.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Um, LA is like 9.75%

I did say "one of the highest tax rates". ;)

At least I live near Vineland, NJ where they have a couple nice shopping centers in an enterprise zone. Sales tax there is 3.5%.

I recently got a new Mac Mini. The way it worked out, I was able to get a new one from B&H Photo in New York for only $5.00 more than a refurb from Apple, since B&H doesn't have a physical presence in NJ and their prices are below list. And when you factored in the cost of some peripherals and free shipping, the whole order was less than buying the refurb from Apple.

None of this really helps the OP though….

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
if I select "shipping option" it seems like no taxes are added (even if I choose to send it in New York), while if I select "pick up option" taxes are added. Is that normal?
You likely didn't go far enough to see the taxes listed for the shipping option. They'll be charged in any state where Apple has a retail store, but the rate will depend on the exact address since different counties and cities may have slightly different rates.

The option for the Italian keyboard is available in the online store...
old-wiz was talking about finding one on the shelf inside a physical store.

Also make sure you know what you may face regarding customs on your way home.

Bahamut91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
I miss the days NJ was 6%. If the state wasn't so greedy, it would've been more than enough.

Well VAT here in Italy is 22%! That's why for me it is a lot cheaper buying a Mac in the us.

Last edited by a moderator:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I did say "one of the highest tax rates". ;)

At least I live near Vineland, NJ where they have a couple nice shopping centers in an enterprise zone. Sales tax there is 3.5%.

I recently got a new Mac Mini. The way it worked out, I was able to get a new one from B&H Photo in New York for only $5.00 more than a refurb from Apple, since B&H doesn't have a physical presence in NJ and their prices are below list. And when you factored in the cost of some peripherals and free shipping, the whole order was less than buying the refurb from Apple.

None of this really helps the OP though….

I used to do the same when I lived in NJ. Traveling to DE was too far. The cost of gas and tolls would offset any savings.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Store pickup implies that you will be given one from their in-store stock. I doubt the NYC stores stock Italian layout keyboard computers.

Though it is entirely possible that if you order something that is not sold in the store that they will special order it for you from the warehouse and then ship it to the store where you will pick it up. That will probably take some time, though. But I am thinking you will also have to buy some sort of adapter to charge it in Italy, we don't have the same types of power outlets. Apple sells a world travel charger kit for 40 USD, but you could probably buy the individual adapter you need (continental Europe) for a lot less.

You will want to check on import and export duties, also. If Italy requires you to pay if you bring the item into the country from abroad, or the US requires you to pay to take it out of the country, the cost savings may not be worth it. Plus, you are going to have to pay some sort of currency transaction fee when you purchase the item, I am guessing. Though the Euro to US Dollar exchange rate looks favorable for you.

You could probably avoid paying any duties by just putting the computer in your luggage without the box, like if you had brought it with you from Italy to use on your trip. Which would not be an uncommon thing.

There is also the issue of warranty coverage and Applecare. It may be difficult to obtain coverage or to get repairs covered if you buy it in one country and try to get it repaired somewhere else, where the laws are different. You would want to check on that.. Even one out of warranty repair could negate any money you saved by buying it abroad.

The cost savings is roughly 500 USD, which is pretty significant. The price in the Italian Apple Store is 1829 EUR with VAT, which is 2493 USD. Your price with tax in NYC will be just under 2000 USD.

You are going to have to pay the sales tax if you buy it from an Apple Store, or even an online retailer who does significant business in NY state, but has no physical presence there (like MacMall).

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
You could probably avoid paying any duties by just putting the computer in your luggage without the box, like if you had brought it with you from Italy to use on your trip.

Me thinks this is one reason to specify an Italian keyboard ;)

OP: may want to bring your power adapter with you; best wishes on your purchase!

Pirate515

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
There are still some spots in NJ that belong to Urban Enterprise Zones (UEZ) that still have 3.5% sales tax. To my luck, MicroCenter in Paterson is in that zone and it's about 20 minutes drive from my work. They also have a nice selection of Apple products, although not as wide as Apple itself. Whenever I shop for high-priced electronics or computer equipment, I tend to go there.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Well at least our gas tax rate is one of the lowest in the US: 14.5 cents/gallon. In PA it's 32.3 cents and a 50.6 cents in NY. :eek:

haha, very true.

----------

There are still some spots in NJ that belong to Urban Enterprise Zones (UEZ) that still have 3.5% sales tax. To my luck, MicroCenter in Paterson is in that zone and it's about 20 minutes drive from my work. They also have a nice selection of Apple products, although not as wide as Apple itself. Whenever I shop for high-priced electronics or computer equipment, I tend to go there.

I'm aware. I was 10 minutes from a UEZ when I lived out there for 30 years.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Store pickup implies that you will be given one from their in-store stock.
Store Pickup includes ship-to-store as well as reserving a unit from existing in-store stock.

If the item is in stock, the ordering system will show same-day pickup availability. Otherwise it will provide a conservative estimate of when it'll make it to the store and be ready for pick up. See my post above regarding ordering refurbs (an Air and a Mini) a few weeks ago; in each case Apple estimated they'd be ready for pick up in seven business days but were actually available in three business days.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007

You can get out of sales tax if you say you're using the computer for programming.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/st121_3_fill_in.pdf

You pay sales tax and email that form to apple and they send you a check back.

Reactions: slippyd

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Well VAT here in Italy is 22%! That's why for me it is a lot cheaper buying a Mac in the us.
You need to differentiate the marketed prices in your head. Italy is probably forced to include VAT in prices, USA is forced to not include sales tax in prices. Always assume it is part of the cost, add it up appropriately.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
You can get out of sales tax if you say you're using the computer for programming.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/st121_3_fill_in.pdf

You pay sales tax and email that form to apple and they send you a check back.

That's really nice of NYS to do. Though I am not sure if it is for NYS residents or for everyone, or if it would apply in the OP's case. But it is good to know for those here who are NYS residents and are going to be buying a computer in the future.

----------

I was wondering where the OP could go if he wanted to go to a UEZ to get a computer with lower sales tax than in NYC. I was thinking Elizabeth. Didn't even think about Paterson (and I lived in Passaic for three years... shame on me). It would be worth the trip for him to save another $100 or so, but I would advise OP to go with someone that knows the area.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
This is exactly my plan! However I've just read (http://store.apple.com/us/help/payments) that the Apple Online Store only accepts american credit card, is that right? :(

as your link says....that's Apple's policy. I suspect Apple doesn't want the hassle of dealing with what turn out to be stolen credit cards for purchases from outside the country

I read somewhere, you'll have to research it yourself to verify that this would work, about somebody who said he was able to use his non-USA credit card to buy a USA Visa gift card online (not an apple gift card because apple won't sell you one of those online without a USA associated credit either) and then used the gift card to shop online at the apple store.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.