Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Hello,

I tried removing my iPad Air from the apple smart case and had a hard time - as I was trying to remove it, I noticed a rippling effect on the display (I was applying pressure to the back of the ipad to pop it out of the case). I was able to get the case off, and the device seems to be fine now, but is it possible my screen is going to be damaged now? How durable is the glass covering ?

I also find it strange how much force is required to actually free the device from the case.

Thanks!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Was it on while you were removing the case? It is not unusual for LCD displays to show various kinds of fringing when pressure is applied. If you didn't crack anything then it is probably OK.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Thanks for your reply

Yes, it was on.

Didn't hear any cracks but I thought it broke when I saw those colors!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The trick to removing the smart case is to pop the corners. Don't try to apply pressure along the edges. Just grab one of the "free" corners, the ones on the other side from the hinge with the lid, and pull it away from the iPad.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Hello,

I tried removing my iPad Air from the apple smart case and had a hard time - as I was trying to remove it, I noticed a rippling effect on the display (I was applying pressure to the back of the ipad to pop it out of the case). I was able to get the case off, and the device seems to be fine now, but is it possible my screen is going to be damaged now? How durable is the glass covering ?

I also find it strange how much force is required to actually free the device from the case.

Thanks!

You shouldn't remove the Apple smartcase without Apple Genius first remove it for you. :apple:

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
I think the smart case is stuck to the iPad. After applying a reasonable amount of force I am unable to get the corners freed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.