Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I want my ipad to ring (while I wear headphones) when I get a call on my iphone.

Ive been thinking about this scenario:
iPhone ----bluetooth---> iPad ---headphones----> notification of ringing

Is there any way to make this happen.

This is very important and I would be grateful!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Wait for iOS 8. This function wil be included then.

Until then -- how about setting the phone to flash when a call comes in? It's pretty bright, hard to miss if you keep the phone in your line of sight.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Wait for iOS 8. This function wil be included then.
Until then -- how about setting the phone to flash when a call comes in? It's pretty bright, hard to miss if you keep the phone in your line of sight.
thanks for the input, but line of sight is not an option.

----------

Nice thing here is with iOS 8, you'll be able to answer cellphone calls on the iPad itself so no need to search for where you put down the iPhone either.
iOS8 will not solve this problem.
"Integration between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite allows a Mac or an iPad to make or receive phone calls as long as it is on the same Wi-Fi network as an iPhone running iOS 8. "
I am usually not on wifi networks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
thanks for the input, but line of sight is not an option.

Well, where is the phone, exactly? Why can't you keep it on you?

Oh, another possibility is to use a Bluetooth headphone. Some of those can be paired to two devices at once. So you'll pair it to your iPad and iPhone, and you'll be using it to listen to your iPad, and when the phone rings, it'll make a sound on your Bluetooth headphone, and you tap a button to switch to the phone.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have no real idea here but what about using a Google Voice number?

can you do something like that and have it notify you on the iPad too?

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
What is the purpose of this? Maybe we can offer better suggestions.
the purpose is to hear the phone ring.

----------

Well, where is the phone, exactly? Why can't you keep it on you?
Oh, another possibility is to use a Bluetooth headphone. Some of those can be paired to two devices at once. So you'll pair it to your iPad and iPhone, and you'll be using it to listen to your iPad, and when the phone rings, it'll make a sound on your Bluetooth headphone, and you tap a button to switch to the phone.
the phone is in my pocket, but i am looking and listening to my ipad.
I usually dont hear or feel it when it rings and i miss important calls.
I am usually traveling and wifi is only sometimes available.
I really dont understand why :apple: doesnt enable bluetooth options in iOS8.

The double paired bluetooth headphone does sound amazing.
Are you sure this works?

----------

I have no real idea here but what about using a Google Voice number?
can you do something like that and have it notify you on the iPad too?
Thank you i will look into this!

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
the purpose is to hear the phone ring.

----------

I am usually traveling and wifi is only sometimes available.
I really dont understand why :apple: doesnt enable bluetooth options in iOS8.

Are you sure this works?

----------

Thank you i will look into this!

I jus tried this on my SOL Republic Tracks Air bluetooth headphones and they work great.

While listening to music on the iPad a call came through on my iPhone and the music paused and the phone rang. I hit the call button on the headphones and answered the call (via incorporated headphone mic) when I hung up, the music returned.

The double paired is not the default setting on the headphones but need to be changed via the headphone menu. These are by far the best Bluetooth Headphones I have ever owned and I have owned just about all varieties.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Are you sure this works?

Have you tried setting the phone to vibrate when it rings?

As for the double-paired Bluetooth, can't say I've actually used it, but I've heard that some of them have this function. I can't find the reference right now, but I'll look for it later and get back to you -- am swamped at work at the moment! :p

EDIT: Found one.
http://worldwide.bose.com/library/assets/pdf/guides/headphones/ae2w_headphones/en/owg_en_ae2w.pdf

This is the device manual. Read pages 7&8. The above headset is a bit pricy, but it's the first one I could remember that had this function. I think there are cheaper headsets with this function if you look.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I jus tried this on my SOL Republic Tracks Air bluetooth headphones and they work great.

While listening to music on the iPad a call came through on my iPhone and the music paused and the phone rang. I hit the call button on the headphones and answered the call (via incorporated headphone mic) when I hung up, the music returned.

The double paired is not the default setting on the headphones but need to be changed via the headphone menu. These are by far the best Bluetooth Headphones I have ever owned and I have owned just about all varieties.
Thank you! That sounds very, very good. Those headphones are pricey, but I will definitly look into them!

----------

Have you tried setting the phone to vibrate when it rings?
As for the double-paired Bluetooth, can't say I've actually used it, but I've heard that some of them have this function. I can't find the reference right now, but I'll look for it later and get back to you -- am swamped at work at the moment! :p
I dont feel the vibrate. Thank you for checking it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.