Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
It fried my gpu. But my apple was nice. And is allowing me to bring them the disc drive put it back in. And send it out to get a new logic board.

Point is be careful. Or I just have incredibly bad luck. Has this happened to anyone els

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Wow you got pretty lucky.

You obviously messed up pretty bad to fry your gpu just replacing the disk drive.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
I didn't do anything wrong though. It was put in correctly.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Wow you got pretty lucky.

You obviously messed up pretty bad to fry your gpu just replacing the disk drive.

I think the OP put in the data doubler adapter then later his GPU died. Then when he brought it in to Apple, they put the original optical drive in before shipping it out for service which is uncustomary. OP was trying to give a warning not to go to a Genius Bar with the data doubler adapter in...

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I think the OP put in the data doubler adapter then later his GPU died. Then when he brought it in to Apple, they put the original optical drive in before shipping it out for service which is uncustomary. OP was trying to give a warning not to go to a Genius Bar with the data doubler adapter in...

You may be right but I have my doubts. He said "it fried my gpu".

Pretty sure it happened right after the install, or during and then found right after..

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You may be right but I have my doubts. He said "it fried my gpu".

Pretty sure it happened right after the install, or during and then found right after..

Then something is obviously screwed up either with his repair skills, the data doubler, the logic board, or some combination of the three. I have my doubts too... I want to hear what the OP says about this.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
data doubler problem.

Yeah I got a new logic board last June. And it lasted until this June. I didn't screw up anything. I feel like it mite been the metal enclosure that made it happen instead of the plastic owc one.

And yes don't go to apple with a data doubler in.

Last edited:

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
That data doubler would have 0 effect on the GPU. 0. From your sig it looks like you have a 2011 model (am I right?). Those are known to have failing GPU's and by the sound of it, you've already had it warranteed once before.

To me that screams GPU issues regardless of what mods you've done. Sort of akin to you saying your 16GB of RAM caused the GPU to fail...doesn't really make sense.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The Data Doubler did not cause your drive to fail. The "Genius" was looking for an excuse to blame you for Apple's design flaw with the 2011 MBP (assuming that's the model you have based on the specs in your signature).

Your GPU failing was merely a coincidence that happened after you put the Data Doubler in place.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
The Data Doubler did not cause your drive to fail. The "Genius" was looking for an excuse to blame you for Apple's design flaw with the 2011 MBP (assuming that's the model you have based on the specs in your signature).

Your GPU failing was merely a coincidence that happened after you put the Data Doubler in place.

Yes he was definitely trying to find a way to blame me for it. The question is do I put it back in. My warranty ends in 86 days. And this Mac has to last until the 2015 retina pro comes out. Or just get a 1 tab ssd and leave in super drive.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes he was definitely trying to find a way to blame me for it. The question is do I put it back in. My warranty ends in 86 days. And this Mac has to last until the 2015 retina pro comes out. Or just get a 1 tab ssd and leave in super drive.

I would just get a single SSD or hybrid drive if you need the space.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I would just get a single SSD or hybrid drive if you need the space.

Or a single large SSD if you can afford it.

If the hybrid drive is more appealing from a cost standpoint, do not get the Wester Digital Black2. It's a hybrid drive in the sense that it has a 120 GB SSD and 1 TB platter hard drive in one, but it's a bit different in that you're supposed to install the operating system on the SSD portion while having the HDD available for mass storage. This would be a perfect solution for a MacBook Pro, but it requires special software in order for the 1 TB platter drive to become visible to the operating system. Unfortunately, WD has not released a Mac version, and they've not announced plans to do so either.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Right. So I'm leaning towards a large ssd. 840 pro 512. 1 tb evo. Or 960 crucial. Which should I get.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
How much space do you need? There's a big difference in price between 512 GB and 960 GB-1 TB SSDs.

I wouldn't get the 840 Pro regardless, though. It's overpriced and has no built-in over-provisioning.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
data doubler problem.

Application and documents and a expanding music collection. The occasional seasons of tv shows to put on iPad or watch on Mac. At least 500 gb minium.

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO is the way I would go. It's $419.99 at Amazon and Newegg. Though with Newegg, if you buy it with their iPhone app and use Google Checkout (there's a bizarre pairing if I ever saw it), you can get an extra $15 off.

Actually, I'm going to be selling my 750 GB 840 EVO shortly. Had it about 3 months. Less than 1 TB written to it that I'd be willing to let go for less $/GB than you'd find from a brand new drive. PM me if you're interested.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Just got the seagate thunderbolt 2.5 dock. For the old non ssd. Going to see if I can live off a 256 gb ssd. And if not I'll get the evo after camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.