Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Hi guys!
I just wanted to let you know that I modded the latest nVidia web driver for 10.9.3 so it can install on any computers (You need to have 10.9.3 installed or it will create a javascript error).
Previously the package was looking for Mac Pro 2008, 2009 & 2010. Now it will install on any computers with an nVidia GPU.
I had the chance to test it on my Retina MacBook Pro 2013 (GT 650m 1Gb), my 2010 13" MacBook Pro (320m 256Mb) and my Mac Pro 12 cores 2010. I obtained some performance gains in Cinebench and the latest Hitman game available on the app store, it is now softer and gives me less stutter.
You can also access new options in the system preferences that will allow you to select between nVidia's driver (334.01.01f01) or Apple's driver (310.10.35f08) with a mouse click and select to enable ECC memory for supported GPUs!
I hosted the modded driver on Mega. The link is the following https://mega.co.nz/#!s4EQgaTC!dVP4dXsCsUwpvC176Gqk1SfStVNRxnE5DjvOJfxz-QY
Let me know if you have questions or problems!
Have a nice day!

Edit:
Here is the driver for 10.9.4

Hosted on mega again.
https://mega.co.nz/#!YtMRUDZY!HoB_3Cd21mqWB_FR8GJBKWMK-a2lRYPFSwqYPgUftKM

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
While I do not have a laptop that would take advantage of this(I'm waiting for someone to bring me updated iris drivers for my 13" MBP) It's great you've done this!

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
While I do not have a laptop that would take advantage of this(I'm waiting for someone to bring me updated iris drivers for my 13" MBP) It's great you've done this!

Thanks, if your 13" MBP is a 2009 or 2010 it has a nVidia GPU that is compatible with this driver :)

Sorry I just noticed its a retina 13" with intel Iris in it...

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks, if your 13" MBP is a 2009 or 2010 it has a nVidia GPU that is compatible with this driver :)

Sorry I just noticed its a retina 13" with intel Iris in it...

Yeah. Seesm like I'm stuck waiting for someone to make an OSX friendly driver ugh.

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
would this work for yosemite DP2?

No it won't. The installer will report an error as the driver is only for Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.3, don't work on 10.9.2 or Yosemite, its the original nVidia driver with the system check removed to install on MacBook Pros, iMacs and hackintoshes with nVidia GPUs

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Hi guys!
I just wanted to let you know that I modded the latest nVidia web driver for 10.9.3 so it can install on any computers (You need to have 10.9.3 installed or it will create a javascript error).

Can you explain how you modded it so we can continue with newer drives from Nvidia? Apple's drivers are always so far behind. I have been looking for some way to update the driver more frequently than what Apple does.

Thanks!

-P

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Can you explain how you modded it so we can continue with newer drives from Nvidia? Apple's drivers are always so far behind. I have been looking for some way to update the driver more frequently than what Apple does.

Thanks!

-P

You need to use pkgutil --expand to open the .pkg files, then there will be a distribution file inside, open it with textwrangler.
Inside you will find a bunch of conditions, one of them is about matching system id, just set to 1 (True) then repack the .plg with pkgutil --flatten (you can use /help to get the command lines more precisely since I am in a café and don't have my workstation in front of me. Just let me know if you need more details, I'll be able to help you tomorrow.

----------

Will this cause issues when 10.9.4 update comes out? thanks for the mod!

Yes it will and will need to be modded again the same way to always return true for the systemid match if nVidia release 10.9.4 drivers.

----------

Will this also have benefits on the Late 2013/750M model MBPr? :confused:

Yes more than on my Early 2013/650m.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
You need to use pkgutil --expand to open the .pkg files, then there will be a distribution file inside, open it with textwrangler.
Inside you will find a bunch of conditions, one of them is about matching system id, just set to 1 (True) then repack the .plg with pkgutil --flatten (you can use /help to get the command lines more precisely since I am in a café and don't have my workstation in front of me. Just let me know if you need more details, I'll be able to help you tomorrow.

EM,

Thanks for the info! Your instructions got me on my way!

A couple of questions:

To save time can I delete this line:

<installation-check script="InstallationCheck();"/>

and <script> to </script> or does this setup variables later on in the installation? It didn't look like it but this is the first time I've looked at this. :)

Have you noticed any system stability issues when installing this?

How hard is it to undo this if I decide I need to go back to Apple's driver?

I really appreciate this information. For such a graphical computer, their drivers just are awful. Being able to update the video driver on Windows is something I've wished for OS X.

Again, thanks for the help!
Mark

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada

EM,

Thanks for the info! Your instructions got me on my way!

A couple of questions:

To save time can I delete this line:

<installation-check script="InstallationCheck();"/>

and <script> to </script> or does this setup variables later on in the installation? It didn't look like it but this is the first time I've looked at this. :)

Have you noticed any system stability issues when installing this?

How hard is it to undo this if I decide I need to go back to Apple's driver?

I really appreciate this information. For such a graphical computer, their drivers just are awful. Being able to update the video driver on Windows is something I've wished for OS X.

Again, thanks for the help!
Mark

I'll get back to you today about that...

Updated driver for nVidia Cards on OS X 10.9.4
Enjoy!
https://mega.co.nz/#!YtMRUDZY!HoB_3Cd21mqWB_FR8GJBKWMK-a2lRYPFSwqYPgUftKM

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Getting this error. Will we wait for a cuda driver update?

Updated to 10.9.4
installed ModdedWebDriver-334.01.02f02

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 7.13.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 7.13.10 PM.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 1,233

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Cuda is updated, Check here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

(Uninstalled, reinstalled the modded driver)
Still getting update error upon installing the latest CUDA driver for mac.

Most of us as well I think... Its an old release that was not updated at the same time that the driver was.
I have the error message on 2 MacBook Pro, my Mac Pro and my hackintosh...

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Cuda is a separate package on nvidia website, there are 2 installers.
1. The Geforce driver I patched and posted here.
2. The cuda installer that is on the nvidia website here http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html it was updated today to match the current driver.

I ask you about this because CUDA+Mavericks never was compatible with 320m, 9400m, 330m and pre-2010 GPUs. Recently, nVidia updated their drivers to support old Mac Pro GPUs, but not the laptop ones I cited above. Would you say your patched driver plus a cuda installer would allow these old gpus to work on Mavericks?

Thank you.

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I ask you about this because CUDA+Mavericks never was compatible with 320m, 9400m, 330m and pre-2010 GPUs. Recently, nVidia updated their drivers to support old Mac Pro GPUs, but not the laptop ones I cited above. Would you say your patched driver plus a cuda installer would allow these old gpus to work on Mavericks?

Thank you.

It seem to work on 320m with 10.9.4 on my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro.
I installed Cuda as well and J can run CUDA-Z and have the GPU perform CUDA calculation so I would say yes it can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.