Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kernelssuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
Hi Guys
So Kermel_task is eating up alot of memory and is causing my Macbookpro to randomly crash all the time.

Attached are screenshots.

If anyone can help please do!

Thankyou
Amy

Attachments

• kernel-tasking.jpg
    kernel-tasking.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hi Guys
So Kermel_task is eating up alot of memory and is causing my Macbookpro to randomly crash all the time.

Attached are screenshots.

If anyone can help please do!

Thankyou
Amy

It is my understanding that kernel_task using 1GB is not a big deal. I'm a light user, and right now I have 2 apps open (Safari and Mail) and it's using 1.11GB...with no problems.

BTW: no screenshots attached.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My kernel task is currently using 788MB and all I'm doing is using Safari.

I'd say that the 1gb usage of the kernel is not the cause of your instability - or at least there's no direct correlation between the ram usage and you're computer crashing.

Take a look at the console logs to see what errors are being thrown.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The uptime on my MBP is 2 days and I have several apps open and am using just under a GB.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 6.30.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 6.30.40 AM.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 252

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi Guys

Like others mentioned, kernel task is not your problem.

Open Finder then click the Go menu then click Go to Folder... and paste in the path below and hit return. That will bring up a folder with crash reports by date.

Copy the text of the crash report from the last system crash and post it here so we can take a look.

Code:
~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

romesk90

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
It is probably something else.

I notice mds_stores in your processes. You also have sophos. Sophos is an anti virus, correct? Could you have an index loop or time machine loop going on?

Check out your diag logs, also...post your processes % usage (your ram seems fine).

wkoutre

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
Fixed my issue

Sophos was the culprit for me. Didn't look extensively into any logs, but after uninstalling and a restart, my machine is back to zipping along as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.