Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
The student discount coupon from Best Buy states that it cannot be used for open box items, but has anyone been able to do it for a macbook pro retina? If so can you please tell me how you went about doing it? Also, I have a USPS mover's coupon. I read that most people were able to use this + the student coupon in store, but I'm wondering if stacking these coupons is possible online. If I were to get an open box item, online is the only option :(

Last edited:

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
The student discount coupon from Best Buy states that it cannot be used for open box items, but has anyone been able to do it for a macbook pro retina? If so can you please tell me how you went about doing it? Also, I have a USPS mover's coupon. I read that most people were able to use this + the student coupon in store, but I'm wondering if stacking these coupons is possible online. If I were to get an open box item, online is the only option :(

The 10% movers coupon can only be used in store. I don't know about open box items, i didn't try. I bought a New 11" MBA and was able to stack the student discount with the movers coupon. I paid $585 plus tax.

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
The 10% movers coupon can only be used in store. I don't know about open box items, i didn't try. I bought a New 11" MBA and was able to stack the student discount with the movers coupon. I paid $585 plus tax.

The coupon states in the back that it can be used online. Maybe they updated the coupons? I'm not sure. Can I ask when you purchased your MBA?

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
The coupon states in the back that it can be used online. Maybe they updated the coupons? I'm not sure. Can I ask when you purchased your MBA?

You can use the mover's coupon online but you can't stack both of the coupons online. Just used both coupons yesterday and tax exempt for the top 15" and it came out to be 2087.99 :D

Not sure if it works on open box but I highly doubt it. Guess it just depends on your sales rep. I've heard stories of success from slickdeals though

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
You can use the mover's coupon online but you can't stack both of the coupons online. Just used both coupons yesterday and tax exempt for the top 15" and it came out to be 2087.99 :D

Not sure if it works on open box but I highly doubt it. Guess it just depends on your sales rep. I've heard stories of success from slickdeals though

Awesome, thank you for letting me know!

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I tried stacking the coupons online but it only took one of them.

I was able to use both on an open box 13" rMBP (2.4/8/256) for my son, so it wound up being about $1075 or so plus tax - a fabulous deal for a machine that had 1 charge cycle and all the packaging - the little foam screen cover and the plastic wrap on the computer.

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
I tried stacking the coupons online but it only took one of them.

I was able to use both on an open box 13" rMBP (2.4/8/256) for my son, so it wound up being about $1075 or so plus tax - a fabulous deal for a machine that had 1 charge cycle and all the packaging - the little foam screen cover and the plastic wrap on the computer.

I'm going to best buy sometime this week to finally buy one. Hopefully they accept both coupons! :)

idelgado782

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
I'm going to best buy sometime this week to finally buy one. Hopefully they accept both coupons! :)

Word of advice, don't ask if they can be used. Just act cool and give them coupons casually. I purchased mines a couple of weeks back. Purchased an open box, MBA along with stacking the 10% movers coupon. I didn't ask any questions, just asked for the open box mac that I wanted and handed everything over. Got my MBA 13.3 256gb for $725 plus 3.5% tax

Good luck!

LogLady

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Mass
Just bought open box, they did let me use the 100$ coupon but wouldn't stack the mover's coupon. When I did pick it up from the Geek lab or whatever they're called I did make a point of asking if iLife was already installed. Guy told me it wasn't and then proceeded to get the manager to give me an additional 50$ for my trouble.

Also sold me wrong open box so ended up with 11" 4gb 256 for the grand total of 670$. Once I get my employee reimbursement back I'll have paid a sum total of 420$ for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.