Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I am not really clear about this.

1. Say I am using their ipad and their account right now. I purchase an app through their account.

If I am planning to get another ipad, can I transfer the app from their account to my new future account?

2. Is it safe to buy an app in the Applestore. Not sure if I trust CC info on there.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
If I am planning to get another ipad, can I transfer the app from their account to my new future account?

No, you can't transfer purchased apps as far as I know.

2. Is it safe to buy an app in the Applestore. Not sure if I trust CC info on there.

You can definitely trust them, but if you're still reserved about using your Credit Card you could always purchase vouchers at a retailer to use on the store.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
No, you can't transfer purchased apps as far as I know.

You can definitely trust them, but if you're still reserved about using your Credit Card you could always purchase vouchers at a retailer to use on the store.

Well fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

So I have to make another account to purchase apps?

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Well fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

So I have to make another account to purchase apps?

Well you could always install the apps onto your iPad using their account. Apple allows you to use the content you purchase on up to 10 devices as far as I know ( up to 5 computers, and the rest can be iOS devices). So just use their apple ID to install the apps

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Well you could always install the apps onto your iPad using their account. Apple allows you to use the content you purchase on up to 10 devices as far as I know ( up to 5 computers, and the rest can be iOS devices). So just use their apple ID to install the apps

Oh alright! I am a bit slow.

So if I gotten a new ipad, I would just use my parent's account to install that app into the Ipad.

Would the APp work if I log off and use a new account?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm confused.

So as I see it you 'purchased' an app using your parents credit card on their iPad. Now you want to know if they can 'transfer' it to you permanently. Apple does not allow/have in place the ability to 'will' apps to others at this time.

BUT!
iOS8 allows family sharing of apps, so you are good. Or you can do as already suggested. When you get your iPad, have your parents sign in and then you can download ( called layered accounts ) 'your' app. Then sign out of the their account and back into yours. The app will stay.

When the app is updated you will need to have your parents put in their password for the update to download and install.

Does that help?

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
I'm confused.

So as I see it you 'purchased' an app using your parents credit card on their iPad. Now you want to know if they can 'transfer' it to you permanently. Apple does not allow/have in place the ability to 'will' apps to others at this time.

BUT!
iOS8 allows family sharing of apps, so you are good. Or you can do as already suggested. When you get your iPad, have your parents sign in and then you can download ( called layered accounts ) 'your' app. Then sign out of the their account and back into yours. The app will stay.

When the app is updated you will need to have your parents put in their password for the update to download and install.

Does that help?

You will need their password every time you want to update, but with family sharing in iOS 8 i'm sure you won't. I'm not entirely sure how this feature works yet, as I haven't spent much time testing it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.