Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
For me at least.

It's nice for the store so I don't have to sign in every time I make a purchase but with that enabled I have to do a passcode every time I unlock the phone. If it were up to me I would have no lock screen period (like I do on my current phone)

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
You can use Touch ID for both the iTunes Store and for unlocking the phone. When you unlock the phone with Touch ID you don't even have to swipe.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
For me at least.

It's nice for the store so I don't have to sign in every time I make a purchase but with that enabled I have to do a passcode every time I unlock the phone. If it were up to me I would have no lock screen period (like I do on my current phone)

I think you are missing the current biggest feature of touchID which is unlocking the phone.

with touchID enabled, lock the phone then click the home button once and leave your finger lightly resting on the home button, but not holding the button down. The phone should very quickly unlock without any swiping or passcode.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For me at least.

You can do anything you want. Your phone, your emails and contacts etc.

If Touch ID doesn't work the way you want to work disable it.

Personally I find that to be able to pull the phone out of my pocket and unlock it at the same time is a time saver.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
If you use your phone for work, it is a godsend. My employer makes us install policies through MobileIron that require a password before accessing the corporate network.

So instead of password unlocking my phone 50 times a day, I just touch it.

Definitely a big deal.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
Not to mention Touch ID is going to grow 10 fold once ios 8 comes out. Apps such as Paypal, Ebay, Amazon, and hundreds of others will have the ability to use Touch Id in their apps.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'd prefer no lock screen at all. But touch id isn't very quick for unlocking.

It's way quicker for unlocking. I didn't have a passcode before touchID. Now I do. It gets unlocked by the time I take it out of my pocket (by grasping the upside down iPhone with my thumb on the sensor) and even before I can see the lock screen.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
If it worked for me I'd be more impressed. Touch ID never works for iTunes even though I've disabled and re-enabled it several times.

I even restored the phone and set up as new since my recent unlock. No difference.

And really, you can't use Touch ID because of a recent reboot? That's the dumbest thing ever. So, because I turn off my phone at night, I have to enter the password?

Pointless.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
And really, you can't use Touch ID because of a recent reboot? That's the dumbest thing ever. So, because I turn off my phone at night, I have to enter the password?

Pointless.

Umm, so.. just DON'T turn off the phone at night? Put it in airplane mode, or use Do Not Disturb.

Don't blame a problem you're having on the phone when you're not using it as it's meant to be used.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
If you use your phone for work, it is a godsend. My employer makes us install policies through MobileIron that require a password before accessing the corporate network.

So instead of password unlocking my phone 50 times a day, I just touch it.

Definitely a big deal.

Agree with this 100%. Touch ID is essential for me for work.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OP's phone but my Touch ID is almost instantaneous. Works flawlessly for me.

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
It's way quicker for unlocking. I didn't have a passcode before touchID. Now I do. It gets unlocked by the time I take it out of my pocket (by grasping the upside down iPhone with my thumb on the sensor) and even before I can see the lock screen.

That's exactly what I do and it's unlocked before my eyes see the screen.

----------

You can use Touch ID for both the iTunes Store and for unlocking the phone. When you unlock the phone with Touch ID you don't even have to swipe.

Yeah it is very useful for purchases, would be nice for it to come to the iPad/Mini.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Umm, so.. just DON'T turn off the phone at night? Put it in airplane mode, or use Do Not Disturb.

Don't blame a problem you're having on the phone when you're not using it as it's meant to be used.

The way it's meant to be used? Get a clue. It has a power button for a reason.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'd prefer no lock screen at all. But touch id isn't very quick for unlocking.

What? Set no passcode, and be happy with it. Don't expect others to do the same, especially when using Touch ID to unlock the phone is way faster than typing in any passcode.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007

Pointless.

Wait, you turn off your phone at night.
2 questions:
Why?
and

How do you make sure you wake up on time in the morning?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Wait, you turn off your phone at night.

2 questions:

Why?

and

How do you make sure you wake up on time in the morning?

I had to laugh at this. The ONLY possible answer is he's late for work/school everyday! Lol :)

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Why do you let your phone die so much? I probably need to type my passcode once a month.

I have gotten so use to the touch id, I really like it. As I suspected I would.

As soon as I grab my phone my finger has unlocked it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The way it's meant to be used? Get a clue. It has a power button for a reason.

It's not a "power" button, it's the Sleep/Wake button. It's not designed to be turned off every night but you can use it that way if you want to, it's just not fair to complain about it.

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
For me at least.

Man ! Are you serious ?! :(
You can use touch id for UNLOCKING IPHONE & ITUNES STORE

BTW : How do you got your phone ? Is it a gift ?
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.