Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stu9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Compared to what I'm used to (HTC one)....I do like it though, just a mini ipad4, but for me the screen's a killer even my reading glasses....does anyone find this

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Compared to what I'm used to (HTC one)....I do like it though, just a mini ipad4, but for me the screen's a killer even my reading glasses....does anyone find this

Totally agree. It's weird since I had a 4 for so long. But now I have a Galaxy s4 and the 5s screen is so tiny the text is too small to read without zooming.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Hehe. It's like a mini iPad Air to me. :D

Hope you're enjoying your new toy. For the interim.

Last edited:

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Yeah the game changes when Apple gets the 6 out, but I switched to a Galaxy 4S because of two things: free upgrade, and more importantly, 5" screen. I like Android and iOS both, not really preferring either for any special reason, but a larger iPhone will draw me back when it's time to upgrade because iPhones just feel like quality devices in the hand more so than those of other makes for similar cost.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Oh man, you are going to be so happy with the iPhone 6.
So happy.
Couldn't you mention this either in the title, or in the first post? Otherwise, you know, this thread makes no sense at all. Everybody knows how big an iPhone screen is.

Stu9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Not just me then, I've got it for 14 days but I honestly think it'll be going back, if the 6 comes out I'll try it. Like I say, I do them apple stuff as I use the ipad 4 a lot and seriously thinking about a mac....but this 5s screen's a killer for me

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not just me then, I've got it for 14 days but I honestly think it'll be going back, if the 6 comes out I'll try it. Like I say, I do them apple stuff as I use the ipad 4 a lot and seriously thinking about a mac....but this 5s screen's a killer for me

You'd eventually get used too it. Its really not that "bad".

And with an Apple eco system like your iPad and a Mac you are considering you'd like it that much more. Not for what it doesn't have or can't do but for all the things it does have and can do.

If all you can do is focus on screen size I'd return it while you still can and maybe consider the iPhone 6 when it comes out. If not just stick with what you like.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
You think it's small now, play games on an ipad, then go back to your phone, it's ridiculous.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
11 months of using the i5 has made my eyes fatigued, which is strange because they were fine with the iPhone 4. Perhaps it's a compound effect, or something to do with the brightness of iOS7, but this screen feels WELL past its sell by date now. Way too small.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I have absolutely horrible vision and I don't have any issues using the 5S; no vision strain, no fatigue. The biggest issue is certain mobile websites don't display correctly. When I need an on the big screen the ol' ipad comes out.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Yes... every one that picks it up after using an HTC one probably notices that the screen is smaller. Any other questions? (that actually make sense?)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have absolutely horrible vision and I don't have any issues using the 5S; no vision strain, no fatigue. The biggest issue is certain mobile websites don't display correctly. When I need an on the big screen the ol' ipad comes out.

Do you use it intensively, for hours on end?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Quite a few Bawbag

Then ask! But asking a population if they notice that the screen on phone X is smaller than the screen on phone Y and then explaining that it's easy to see text on phone Y (when it obviously would be because the screen is bigger) doesn't make sense.

Attachments

• captaindest.jpg
    captaindest.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 107

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Do you use it intensively, for hours on end?

During the work day, I'm on an off all day long.

At night, I may watch videos and spend an hour or two going through the news and websites I frequent.

To answer your question, I'm not on for hours and hours, but I would think after two hours if I would think some eye fatigue or vision strain would show up if I was prone to that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have a Galaxy s4 and the 5s screen is so tiny the text is too small to read without zooming.

Ok, this is a serious question: is the text actually bigger on the S4? I thought there was just more screen space with text approximately the same size? I just compared my iP5 to a retina mini, and the text looked to be the same size - you just just fit more of it on the mini.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I find you get used to it but yea I wish the screen was bigger. Coming from HTC one as well

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Ok, this is a serious question: is the text actually bigger on the S4? I thought there was just more screen space with text approximately the same size? I just compared my iP5 to a retina mini, and the text looked to be the same size - you just just fit more of it on the mini.

Serious answer:

I had eye surgery last August and I happened to have a second phone which was an HTC One. The 4.7" screen was handy while I was healing. One feature the browser had that I wish someone could incorporate into an iPhone browser is text reformatting. You zoom in and the browser text automatically word wraps. Really nice, especially after eye surgery.

Puffin browser has enlarged text, but it's not the same implementation at all.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
There is an option for large text under - General -> Accessibility

Serious answer:

I had eye surgery last August and I happened to have a second phone which was an HTC One. The 4.7" screen was handy while I was healing. One feature the browser had that I wish someone could incorporate into an iPhone browser is text reformatting. You zoom in and the browser text automatically word wraps. Really nice, especially after eye surgery.

Puffin browser has enlarged text, but it's not the same implementation at all.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Screen of course will feel small if you switch back and forth between the two. But, use the iPhone for a few days exclusively and you'll get used to it. It's all a matter of adaptation.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
yea definitely bigger text. The problem is the key boards on android suck

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012

I kind of wish they kept a size similar to the 4S.

4" is still a bit too big for me, I like to be able to completely interact with the phone with one hand. It's a bit difficult to touch the full length of the screen with 1 hand, and I have pretty long fingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.