Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

podcasts.png
Apple's Podcasts app appears to be malfunctioning for many users, crashing directly after being launched on both devices running iOS 7.1.1 and devices running iOS 8 beta 2. Multiple reports of the crashes have surfaced on Twitter, and MacRumors' own testing also revealed the same crashing-after-launch issue.

While the app will temporarily open after being tapped, it closes automatically just seconds later. The Podcasts app was last updated to version 2.1.2 with minor bug fixes on May 29, so it is unclear what is causing the app to crash.

Podcasts is one of Apple's most poorly rated apps and has been widely criticized for performance issues, with users complaining about syncing problems, podcasts being deleted, and more. Apple attempted to resolve some of these issues with Podcasts version 2.1, which introduced improved episode browsing, Siri integration, and syncing fixes, but the app continues to have a two star rating in the App Store.

As of iOS 8 beta 2, Podcasts is a default iOS app that comes pre-installed on iOS devices, meaning it can no longer be deleted. This change is expected to make its way into the public release of iOS 8, coming later this year.

The crashing issue appears to have begun this morning and it is unknown when a fix might be available.

Update 2:30 PM PT: Some users have had success turning on Airplane Mode and then opening the Podcasts app. This prevents it from crashing, and the app appears to stay open for some users after Airplane Mode is turned off, allowing it to function normally.

Update 10:00 PM PT: Users are now reporting that the Podcasts app is functioning normally once again.

Update 7/1 11:00 AM PT: The Podcasts app appears to be experiencing crashing issues once more, but the Airplane Mode fix continues to work for some users.

Article Link: Apple's 'Podcasts' App Crashing on Launch

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Podcasts crashed the first two times I tried to open it today but stayed open after that.

Generally, I don't know why it's so poorly rated. It's simple but does everything I want in a podcast app.

Last edited by a moderator:

taheca

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Oh thank gosh.. seriously I thought I was going crazy earlier. Thanks for having this on the frontpage MacRumors.

ignusfast

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
What a piece of ****. Amazing that Apple took a perfectly good podcasting application and thoroughly broke it just to add all the sync garbage.

Podcasting still works perfectly... On my several-year-old Nano.

So sad.

nhowitz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
Glad to see you guys finally talking about the suckiness of the Podcasts app. I got so frustrated with it that I actually emailed Tim Cook about it. I ended up getting a reply from the iTunes product manager. I emailed with him a few times over about 6 months telling him what was wrong with the app and how it seemed like it was made by people that don't actually use podcasts. The latest changes they made seemed to address most of my issues, but stability has always been a huge problem with this app.

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
It's happening to me. After I restart a few times, it starts working again for a while.

It's always been a little buggy to me, but it's been getting better with updates, both interface, syncing, etc. But today it's being extremely ornery.

I thought I was the only one having the problem, I'm a little glad it's a mass issue so it gets attention faster.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
This literally happened to me an hour ago. :eek:

I thought it was being caused by the podcast I was listening to. I was able to stop the crashes by choosing another podcast quickly. But the crashing started happening again.

I was getting a prompt to enter my iTunes account password whenever I opened the Podcast app, and then the crashing started.

remcoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
seems to be issue with sync server

The crash occurs a couple seconds after the app is launched, just as it starts to sync.

I doesn't crash if the phone is in Airplane mode..

frikova

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
MX
I'm on iOS 7.1.1, iPhone 5s and latest Podcast app and it is working without problems.

Also, I don't know why people keeps hating this app, it has been getting better and now it is quite good.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I was experiencing the same thing on beta 2 just an hour ago. Rebooting the phone fixed it.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I read a lot of criticism of Apple's Podcasts app. It more than meets my needs. Then again, they won me over with the 15 second skip. I guess I'm an easy date.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
This has been going on for quite some time now. I am running the newest version of iOS.

Wonder what it could be?

I haven't noticed until today and I use the Podcasts app nearly every day.

What a piece of ****. Amazing that Apple took a perfectly good podcasting application and thoroughly broke it just to add all the sync garbage.

I kind of enjoy being able to play a podcast on my computer and pick it up later on my iphone, or the reverse.

Only crashing on wifi here

I can confirm this behavior. Also I noticed if I turned off wifi, searched for new podcasts (cell data off), then turned wifi back on it was ok.

When I close and reopen app it will crash as before with wifi on. If I open app with wifi off it doesn't crash. I can then turn wifi back on and it doesn't crash.

Last edited:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Not this again..

I was so excited after Forstall got the boot because it looked like Apple was finally focusing on improving their quality again. I noticed marked improvements in software quality, even on the podcast app. However recently it looks like they have gone back to their old buggy ways. 10.9.3 freezes on me, podcast is crashing etc. Apple needs to realize that if users want a buggy frustrating experience they can get that with Android or Windows for much less than the cost of the equivalent apple product. I'm willing to pay more to have a frustration free experience, but if you are going to produce crap software AND charge me more, then I feel like you are just ripping me off

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Seems to crash right when it would be beginning to download new episodes on my iPad. Maybe those that aren't crashing are either up to date or don't have auto downloads turned on?

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Podcast App

On balance I love this app. I use it every day. It's amazing how many interesting podcasts there are to listen to.

However, it does have its issues. Syncing is a challenge and it's not very obvious to me what's being download to my MacBook, iPhone and iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.