Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idscrux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
I have an iPhone 5C that is about 8 months old. Its updated to the latest IOS software and a few days ago it started randomly turning off and turning back on. Then about a day later it turned off and stayed off until i turned it back on. Then another day later it turns itself off and stays off. Sometimes i can get it turned on and its just a black screen. Sometimes i can get it to turn on and it shows the apple logo for a few seconds and then turns back off and wont turn back on for hours regardless of what i do.

I was able to finally restore my iphone by plugging it into iTunes while holding down the home screen and letting it install the software half way before letting go of the home button.

But after a few hours it turns itself off again and wont turn back on. I have restored it about 15 times thus far(4 times today). I have used a backup made shortly before the problem started and it didnt fix it. I have used a backup that was made back in december and after a couple hours the same thing happens. I then set it up as a new phone and again...within an hour the problem occured again.

I have restored on 2 different computers, 1 running windows xp and the other running windows 7. I am using the most recent version of iTunes as well. The phone isn't jailbroken nor has it ever been jailbroken. The phone hasn't been dropped on the ground or the water. The problem just started randomly one day without warning. The battery is fully charged...as i can see whenever i am finally able to restore my phone. I have even reset all settings after restoring a backup.

I am completely clueless on what the problem could be. But any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post...i just wanted to make sure i got as much information about the problem as i could.

Also I do not know much about the Apple Genius Bar, But i have made an appointment there for 2 days from now. If there is no way to fix this problem and i have to take it there. Does anyone know how much it will cost me to go to the Genius Bar and have them look at it/fix it. One final question: Since the phone was purchased less then a year ago does my phone fall under the Apple limited warranty found here: http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

Again, thanks everyone so much for ANY help you can provide me with. :D

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Your phone should still be covered under warranty. Just take it in and explain the problem to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.