Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I came across a 13" early 2011 Macbook Pro from a former coworker. He had gotten it from somebody for free because it wouldn't turn on. He didn't do anything with it, so he gave it to me. I opened it up to find water damage on the logic board. There wasn't any visible damage such as burn marks on the logic board, just the water spots. I cleaned everything up with alcohol yesterday and am now letting it dry for a few days.

Do you think I have any hope of saving this thing? It's not worth it to buy a new logic board for $500 for the thing. I don't really need it, but if I could get it working it would be great to have.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
A friend of mine had an iPhone 4 which was completely submerged in water. As you would expect it failed to function afterwards so he bought a new one. Fast forward a few years and he needed some information from the phone (legal issue). He surmised maybe he could connect it to his computer and retrieve the data off of it. To our surprise the phone powered on and functioned perfectly (good thing too as the information was invaluable for him for the legal issue).

I can't say if this will happen with your MacBook Pro and, if it does, how well it will work and how long it will take. But this example shows it can happen. You may want to find a plastic bag, add some dry rice, and stick it in the bag. I'm told the rice will absorb moisture...sort of like silica gel (which would be ideal if you have it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.