Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1981d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Sometimes I think its fun to hear other people's experiences with consumer products. And most everyone on this forum is articulate and a good storyteller, so I figured I would ask this question and see if anyone else was interested in sharing their experience.

Mine started when I finally left T-Mobile in 2010. Up to that time I had always had a simple basic or flip phone. I had heard about the iPhone since it came out, but I was just out of school in 2007 and $599 for a phone seemed like insanity to me( since I was used to paying $0-20 for basic phones). And since I didn't have that kind of money at the time anyway, I was easily persuaded that all those people lining up for days in advance to pay 600 bucks for a CELL PHONE were just crazy. So when I was in the market in 2010, I had pretty much written the iPhone off as overpriced, way overhyped, and probably just a gimmick.

My first choice after T-Mobile was Cricket, because of their alleged low prices, and not knowing any better, I assumed that they had phones with similar capabilities as the iPhone claimed. I went in and told the rep that I was ready to ditch flip phones, and wanted a smartphone capable of surfing the web, doing email, and all the other stuff people do with smartphones. The salesman pointed me to their top of the line model, the Motorola Evoke, which was a touch screen phone with a slide out number pad for calls and a 2.8 in screen, all for about $200. This was hands down the worst piece of cr.... I mean tech I think I ever owned. The screen was very unresponsive, the data service was atrocious (the web browser rarely worked, and was slower than dial up when it did), and it locked up all the time. Because of the poor data service, none of the widgets like news, email, or weather ever worked, and it the phone and screen automatically came on when you plugged it in for charging, which you had to do constantly. I had to turn it upside down at night to keep it from lighting up my entire room while I slept. On top of all of that, cricket's coverage wasn't a fraction of what their maps showed, and I had to pay $15 a month extra for their useless data.

After about three months, AT&T ran a promotion selling the iPhone 3GS for $49, which made me cringe to think I had just paid $200 for Motorola's smartphone parody. My time with Cricket and Motorola had disabused me of all my previous prejudices against apple. I now understood why people would spend that kind of time and $$ to get a smartphone that simply did what it claimed it could do. I went to AT&T the next day and got my 3GS, and haven't looked back since. Over time, pretty much all of my family & friends have switched to the iPhone after similar experiences with competitors phones that simply don't work.

Anyhoo, I like to hear people's experiences, so if you feel so inclined please post :)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Mine was actually an impulse buy.

A friend of mine was after an MP3 player and a new phone, so I suggested he get an iPhone.

This was right at the end of the original iPhone's life, when (in the UK at least) they were clearing out the last remaining iPhones from 02 stores (£159 instead of £259).

We went to the local 02 store and he got his and while he was paying the store assistant said to me "Are you sure you don't want the last one we've got?", and I buckled right there and then! :D

We were both on 02 already, but I recall we got them back, jailbroke them, activated them and unlocked them!

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I got bored of windows phone and did not want an android. I had an N9 and Jolla hadn't released their phone yet, so there was nothing else on the market than the iPhone 5.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Until AT&T lost the exclusivity for the iPhone they had no other phones worth buying IMO.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
In 2008, after the iPhone 3G came out, O2 offered to upgrade customers' original iPhone and give them a new iPhone 3G - all whilst unlocking and giving them back the original phone to boot.

I received an original iPhone then from a family member as a gift in late 2008 and haven't looked back - then I bought the 3GS, 4, 5 and hopefully now the 6 this Summer.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I was carrying an iPod Mini and a flip-phone and wanted one device that could do both. And the iPhone 4 was released that year and I loved the design.

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
I've been using an iPhone since the very first iPhone came out. I bought it on a whim and remember hating the fact that the first iPhone couldn't do Picture Messaging cause at the time that was big with my friends. But I stuck with it and have never looked back since then.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I was looking to make the leap to a SmartPhone. Didn't really want to buy into Apple ecosystem...

Android was notorious already for giving control over to the old establishment of cell phone manufactures, with no post purchase support in OS upgrades. So I had mentally written it off as not an option, worthless.

I watched the WinMo7 ,NoDo update, that was promised to have direct MS to handset OS updates, bypassing slow carriers.

Well... Microsoft didn't live up to their word, first NoDo update, they floundered, by months. So I said **** it, and got an iPhone, have ultimately enjoyed the ecosystem and haven't looked back.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Sometimes I think its fun to hear other people's experiences with consumer products. And most everyone on this forum is articulate and a good storyteller, so I figured I would ask this question and see if anyone else was interested in sharing their experience.

Mine started when I finally left T-Mobile in 2010. Up to that time I had always had a simple basic or flip phone. I had heard about the iPhone since it came out, but I was just out of school in 2007 and $599 for a phone seemed like insanity to me( since I was used to paying $0-20 for basic phones). And since I didn't have that kind of money at the time anyway, I was easily persuaded that all those people lining up for days in advance to pay 600 bucks for a CELL PHONE were just crazy. So when I was in the market in 2010, I had pretty much written the iPhone off as overpriced, way overhyped, and probably just a gimmick.

My first choice after T-Mobile was Cricket, because of their alleged low prices, and not knowing any better, I assumed that they had phones with similar capabilities as the iPhone claimed. I went in and told the rep that I was ready to ditch flip phones, and wanted a smartphone capable of surfing the web, doing email, and all the other stuff people do with smartphones. The salesman pointed me to their top of the line model, the Motorola Evoke, which was a touch screen phone with a slide out number pad for calls and a 2.8 in screen, all for about $200. This was hands down the worst piece of cr.... I mean tech I think I ever owned. The screen was very unresponsive, the data service was atrocious (the web browser rarely worked, and was slower than dial up when it did), and it locked up all the time. Because of the poor data service, none of the widgets like news, email, or weather ever worked, and it the phone and screen automatically came on when you plugged it in for charging, which you had to do constantly. I had to turn it upside down at night to keep it from lighting up my entire room while I slept. On top of all of that, cricket's coverage wasn't a fraction of what their maps showed, and I had to pay $15 a month extra for their useless data.

After about three months, AT&T ran a promotion selling the iPhone 3GS for $49, which made me cringe to think I had just paid $200 for Motorola's smartphone parody. My time with Cricket and Motorola had disabused me of all my previous prejudices against apple. I now understood why people would spend that kind of time and $$ to get a smartphone that simply did what it claimed it could do. I went to AT&T the next day and got my 3GS, and haven't looked back since. Over time, pretty much all of my family & friends have switched to the iPhone after similar experiences with competitors phones that simply don't work.

Anyhoo, I like to hear people's experiences, so if you feel so inclined please post :)

If you purchased the iPhone 3GS in 2010, especially after June 2010, than you already purchased outdated technology since the iPhone 4 was released in June 2010. ATT/Apple reduced the subsidized price from $99 to $49 with promos.

But the MSRP price of the iphone 3GS was around $499 after June 2010. It was MSRP $599 before June 2010. So you are really comparing a much more expensive iPhone to the $200 off contract junk you purchased.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Around late 2007 or early 2008, I misplaced my cellphone which was a Sony Ericsson flip. Battery was dead so my calls were going straight to voicemail. I tried looking for it when I got home but my search proved fruitless.

I spent the next working day (*shh* :p) looking at phones on AT&T's website. Pricing was pretty much on par looking at the high-end phones ($400-600). Palm and Blackberry were still in their heyday and the iPhone is often disparaged as being a not so smart phone with a decent web browsing experience. To me, that was fine. Decent web browsing was what I was after (for reading fanfiction) so it was pretty easy to decide on the iPhone. I had a harder time making up my mind between the $399 8GB model or $499 16GB. That took, oh, about 6 hours of deliberation (from when I decided to get the iPhone to when I parked at the AT&T store). :p Given I was already spending $400, I figured what's an extra $100 and ended up splurging for the 16GB model. :D

Sometime in 2008, Stanza (epub reader) was released for iOS. My primary usage for the iPhone was reading, thus my lock-in to iOS began. I upgraded to the 3GS, 4 and 4S. The 4S had worse battery life compared to my 4 so I did end up selling that one on ebay (for more than full MSRP :p). In fairness to Apple though, pre-ICS/JB Android was pretty bad so even if Stanza had not been the primary motivating factor, I still would have likely ended up getting the iPhone based on its own merits. :)

Around after maybe a year and a half of owning the iPhone 4, I eventually found my old Sony Ericsson flip phone in one of my jacket pockets. Surprisingly the phone still charged and powered up but no way in hell am I going back to a flip. :rolleyes:

Since then, I've bought a bunch of Android devices and a bunch more Apple devices. Gave my parents Android smartphones (on pay as you go prepaid just for trial purposes) a couple years back but they promptly returned it to me and went back to their flip phones. Gave each an iPhone 5 and those, I think they'll probably keep until the phones die. We're not an Apple family and my mom refuses to go near Macs (or anything that's not Windows on the desktops/laptops for that matter). That said, we're all pretty content with our iPhones and iPads. ;)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I was using a BlackBerry at the time the first iPhone was released. I continued to use my BB until the prices were lowered for the iPhone. I have not used another phone since the 2G iPhone.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I had been using Windows Mobile phones for a while, and bought the Tilt when it came out. The iPhone had just recently been released but I was hesitant to shell out the money for it because the first iPhone had no subsidies. The battery life on the Tilt was abysmal, and a friend of mine who's always been a big Apple fan went out and bought an iPhone and showed me how it worked and I was convinced that it was the superior experience. I returned my Tilt and bought the iPhone, and have owned every version since.

I've also had a couple Android phones: the EVO 4G; Samsung Skyrocket; Samsung S4; and the Nexus S, 4, and 5. Android is fine, but I always come back to iPhone.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
2009. The iPhone was almost 2 years old at the time. When it was announced in 2007, I didn't care for it, I was a hater. I thought it was dumb to use a touch screen on a cell phone. But people kept raving about it, a guy at a previous job loved it and the IT guy at my current job got one, so I figured I'd look into it some more.

Late spring, I got the iPhone 3G and I never looked back. It was a place for all my music, opened me up to apps, and eventually got me to try Mac. I've tried Android before, I didn't hate it (not trying to start a flame war) but I just preferred the iPhone.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I'm going to go the long way round of telling this.

In 2008 I needed a contract phone because back then Pay an Go in the UK was too expensive for phone calls. I fell in love with the design of the HTC Diamond and I didn't want to follow the iPhone hype so decided to get the HTC Diamond which was dubbed 'The iPhone killer'.

Anyway it turned out to be the worst phone in the world, later in 2008, and 2009 I saw family members of mine and their friends with an iPhone and what they could do with it where as my phone though it was a smart phone was basically limited to calls and texts and a very very short battery life. I decided then that my next phone would be the iPhone and never listened to all the 'iPhone killer' remarks that were being said about Android.

So 3 months after the iPhone 4 came out when my contract ran out I went and got one.

I've used other people's Android phones and though it has came on well and some of them do things better than the iPhone (keyboard and screen brightness), to me they just are not the 'iPhone killer' phones that they have said to have been.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Couldn't afford one to begin with, so opted for an LG Viewty on contract which was the next best thing at the time.

That broke in my pocket(!) so decided to bite the bullet and bought a 3G sim free as it wasn't available on any network apart from 02 at the time. The last update rendered the phone so slow I got annoyed and moved to android.

Then to Palm. Then back to android. Then back to my current iphone 5S.

Fantastic phone.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
After two iterations of Sony Ericsson cyber shot handsets I moved into what I thought was the smartphone world with a Nokia 5800...I regretting the entire 6 months of having that device on a 2 yr contract! I last ed the 6 months before I caved and sold it. I then did what I should have done before signing a contract and researched (this is now a must!) and took a punt on an android device, a ZTE Blade. Absolutely loved it for the year or so I had it until I drowned it in coke.. So after an insurance claim was given an htc wildfire (it was the most smart phone like out if the choices.. That lasted 3 months til upgrade time and during which I researched the entire time for my upgrade and went for the Samsung galaxy S2. Don't get me wrong at the time it was the best phone I'd ever had until lack of updates were so ridiculous and even after an update causing an sd card media scanner glitch whereby it goes nuts and drains your battery by the minute! That luckily came in last 6 months of my contract. A friend had an old ip4 sat in her drawer gathering dust so she offered to sell it to me. I couldn't refuse to finally get he chance to own and use an iPhone. Old colleagues had them and although I was intregued I wasn't prepared to pay at the time hence opting for android.. The ip4 was a tester, a chance to see if I really could adopt the entire Eco system minus the mac tho. I loved it, really liked the stream of improvements and update apple were willing to roll out to their customers and all at once too. Not like the fragmented updates that go out to androids users!! So the ip4 experience brought me to November if last year- the charging port started switching the phone into silent vibration mode as if it was docked, I thought rather than spend out on that I'd use the money toward an upgrade. Contract was up in the sept. I had originally hoped to hold out to jan/ February of this year but couldn't. So I went for what I have now, a blue 5C and I love it.

The upgrade experience was fantastic the customer service was so good. They made sure I left the store happy with all my data on the new device. I only wish I'd been able to afford an iPhone earlier on but hey there we go. Safe to say I'll keep this device as have no issues and certainly not bored yet! Come next November who knows but apple have certainly win me over with their devices build quality and service!

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'd used Android for a while with the HTC Hero, EVO and likely others. I bought an iPad 2 when they came out and loved it. I got tired of paying for the same app on two different platforms. I like iOS better so I bought an iPhone. I bought for the OS and not really the phone features and that continues to this day. Though features are getting more important to me, namely screen size.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
... the customer service was so good. They made sure I left the store happy with all my data on the new device. I only wish I'd been able to afford an iPhone earlier on but hey there we go. Safe to say I'll keep this device as have no issues and certainly not bored yet! Come next November who knows but apple have certainly win me over with their devices build quality and service!

This is one Apple feature that's almost impossible for any of the other OEMs to replicate. I've never had a better customer service experience with any other company, period.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I saw the keynote. :D

I had a Pocket PC before that, so when it was time for me to get a phone, I knew that I wanted more than just a silly texting phone. I was using an iPod Video at the time, so it would be everything in one device too. So I went half and half with my dad, and that was my Christmas present for 2007.

Used it until 2010.

Aqua31401

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
I was sucked in by the commercials from the first model lol. I was intrigued by the design and layout. Once I finally purchased one, I never went to any other phone. :apple:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Honestly, I was one of those people who didn't like Apple. I had really only owned Android, BlackBerry, WebOS, Symbian, etc. I refused to buy Apple products as I considered them to be a novelty cult brand.

Then suddenly my store got a batch of 5c's. I didn't even realize Apple made those (I made it a point to not keep up on products)! I saw the blue one and stared at it for three full days.

Fourth day, after feeling immense guilt and odd shame, I bought it. The comical reaction from coworkers and family members, it really amused me.

While I'll never give up Android, BlackBerry, or any other OS'S I might stumble upon, I'm perfectly happy adding Apple in the mix.

My 5c brings a smile to my face. So much so that for the first time, I bought the same phone twice! I'm a proud owner of two blue 5c's (My first one is locked to Boost Mobile, I keep it for sentimental value and to try betas). I have no regrets! ^_^

Just glad I got a 32GB the second go. The jailbreak released two days after I bought it and I'm filling it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.