Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I am hoping to get the public beta invite but I had a couple questions.

1) Can you dual boot your current OS X and the new OS X beta using bootcamp or another method?

2) If dual booting is not an option, if you upgrade your current OS X do you have to reinstall completely when the final comes out?

I installed the Windows 8.1 public preview when it was released and ended up having to reinstall everything once it came out officially. Really don't want to have to do that again, I will be in the dog house for sure this time :)

Thanks.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I am hoping to get the public beta invite but I had a couple questions.

1) Can you dual boot your current OS X and the new OS X beta using bootcamp or another method?

2) If dual booting is not an option, if you upgrade your current OS X do you have to reinstall completely when the final comes out?

I installed the Windows 8.1 public preview when it was released and ended up having to reinstall everything once it came out officially. Really don't want to have to do that again, I will be in the dog house for sure this time :)

Thanks.

1). Yes you can. Create a new partition on the HDD/SSD and install Yosemite in the new partition. I use Startup Disk in System Preferences to change between 10.9.4 and 10.10

2). You can upgrade the beta to GM. Personally, I always perform a clean install and restore essential data from a time machine backup.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
1). Yes you can. Create a new partition on the HDD/SSD and install Yosemite in the new partition.

2). You can upgrade the beta to GM. Personally, I always perform a clean install and restore essential data from a time machine backup.

Thanks! I am glad it is an option at least. I've never used a time machine backup so I am always worried about how it works.. I have a backup going but never have had to restore... does it work as well as iCloud restore on iOS? Restores all users, settings, and apps?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks! I am glad it is an option at least. I've never used a time machine backup so I am always worried about how it works.. I have a backup going but never have had to restore... does it work as well as iCloud restore on iOS? Restores all users, settings, and apps?

Very easy to use and automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, email messages, music, photos, movies, and documents.

Have a look here.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Very easy to use and automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, email messages, music, photos, movies, and documents.

Have a look here.

I may have to play around with it sometime and try a restore to see what it does. Never used it so worried about losing things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.