Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmfcryan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2014
Hi there,

I recently had a dead hard drive, and replaced it with an old windows hard drive, which has all the data erased from it. I have tried booting into my original restore disk, but it doesn't pick it up. I've resettled the VRAM etc, and I've tried majority of the key commands. I reset the PRAM, and select the T keyboard option to target one of the disks, this came up....

http://i59.tinypic.com/o5nwit.jpg

Help?

Thanks

----------

MacBook early 2008 13"

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Most likely the super drive isn't reading DVD's. It happens quite often as the drive ages. Easiest way to see is by holding option on boot up, if it doesn't show the DVD, it's probably the drive.

Also pressing T will put it into Firewire target disk mode, that is what the logo on the screen was.

If you have access to one, I'd try getting an external USB DVD drive and trying that way. Otherwise if you have access to another Mac, you can make a USB drive with DiskMaker X. I do this often with Snow Leopard through Mavericks USB drives.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Just to be clear, you can't boot from the optical disc right? At first reading, I mistook it that you couldn't boot to the replacement hard drive. Those would be two separate issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.