Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
Hey guys, I am kinda curious to see if folks here still have older iPod Touches, such as the 4th or 3rd gen. What iOS it is on? Does it lag for you? Do you have battery issues?

I am on 6.1.6 with a 4th gen and my battery is pretty weak, drains fast, especially when playing games/watching youtube. And it lags pretty bad, even without a jailbreak. I am thinking of downgrading to iOS 5.1.1

Share your experiences bellow!
Cheers! King.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If you want a faster more responsive Touch, upgrade your Touch 4 to a Touch 5. The Touch 4 will always have issues and the new pricing on the Touch 5 is pretty good.

Reactions: arefbe

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I did until I sold it last month in lieu of a new iPod classic.

iOS 6 is very laggy, yes. Doesn't have the RAM it needs. I had been running it on iOS 4.2.1 the majority of the time for speed reasons. Perfectly acceptable on iOS 4. It was mostly used for music and a number of games and social apps. Most of which were fine on iOS 4, combined with the download latest compatible version deal.

That being said, as an iPod. I've been far happier with the classic, and I'm converting a 5th gen iPod to have a 64GB CF card, same size my touch was, but more durable and faster.

I've also got a 2nd gen running iOS 3.1.3 like a champ. But it's been moved to permanent Pandora duty.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
If you want a faster more responsive Touch, upgrade your Touch 4 to a Touch 5. The Touch 4 will always have issues and the new pricing on the Touch 5 is pretty good.

I actually own an iPhone 5S,no need for a 5th gen iTouch :p

Just wanted to see if people on 4th gen devices running iOS 6 have the same problem

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Mine works well running 6.1.6. I use it way from home as Apple refuses to serve 6.1.6 for iPad. The mini stays at home. Thanks to Cook :(

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yep still use it. Mainly for music listening but occasionally for phone calls. Original iOS version. Zero problems.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I still use mine. It's mostly plugged in when I use it as the battery doesn't last long (did it ever?) anymore.

Mine was surprisingly pretty good as far as the battery went. Of course games or any apps and screen on time would kill it pretty quick, I did a battery test in May to compare to Apple's listed run time, and it got 37 hours of straight playback :cool:

My runtime note:
h4xU1eb.png

The battery was exactly 3 years, 4 months, and 15 days old. I got it as a Christmas gift in 2010. So that's not too shabby for it's age.

But that is only achieved if you don't touch it, turn off WiFi, use half volume, and resist the urge to change the song. Typically it would last around a week in my car, about the same as my new Classic. Or a couple days of actual use.

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I still use my iPod touch 4g on ios 6.1.6 with no issues at all. I find it is the perfect size for travelling and also has a excellent retina display that is much better than my iPhone 3gs and iPod classic. I haven't upgraded because of the price of the new iPod touch considering the hardware is from 2-3 years ago.

MarkieMark92

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
London, UK
I was using mine just the other day but don't like it anymore as I feel its out of date and mine is now running very slow. I use an iPad Mini Retina and a iPhone 5s both running iOS7 so when using my iPod Touch it makes it feel further outdated. I only use it for music and am still contemplating whether to update to the iPod Touch 5th Gen or to wait for the iPod Touch 6th Gen or to just keep using my iPhone 5S for music.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I've been using my 4th gen iPod touch since I got it in September 2010, so more than 3 and a half years now. It's running 6.1.6, and yes, it's laggy and it isn't perfect since it's a nearly 4 year old device, and my lock button broke after hitting the 3 year mark, but I'll continue to use it until the next generation of iPod touches come out, since I've been waiting to make a worthwhile upgrade for years now.

I use it for music, internet, iMessage, Twitter, casual things. I no longer play games on it though. The battery is still doing alright, though I'm sure the lock button being unusable causes a little extra battery drain, because I found out that the Assistive Touch caused it to lag like crazy needing restarts daily and crazy battery drain, so I just wait that minute to have it auto-lock. :p

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I still use my iPod Touch 4th Gen, even replaced the battery recently.

It's essentially my travel clock, calculator, weather update, etc. Just minor things as I don't have a cell phone (didn't want to spend $100/month).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yep, still use an iPod Touch 4th gen albeit kept at iOS 4. Mostly just use it for music playback though so speed isn't really an issue.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Always plugged in- don't know how the battery works except that it doesn't drain instantly. On iOS7 (accidentally upgraded) but only play music- works just fine.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Yeah, I still have my black 8GB one I got for my birthday in August of the launch year.

I use it for Spotify, but even with only that, the A4 is a slug.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
We are still using Gen 2, listening to audio books. still works great
Generation 2 didn't lag that bad on iOS 4.2.1, the highest firmware it ever got.
The 4th generation is a different story: The combination of only 256 mb ram + a retina display is not exactly a good one...

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
Still using my 4th Gen iPod on 6.1.6 OS. No real issues, but trying to decide to purchase a 5th Gen at the discounted price or wait and see if a 6th Gen comes out in Sept. Part of me thinks Apple has discounted the iPod 5 to clear their inventory for an iPod 6, but who knows. We really won't know anything until we hear an announcement from Apple.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I have 2 of them and still use them.

Aren't the batteries replaceable?

I have the iPod Video 30G and use that all the time. The battery got very weak so I replaced it myself from a kit on eBay for about $15. It's been working pretty well since then, but does lock up sometimes when using the remote.

One of the problems with buying Apple products (and others) is that they have planned obsolescence. Given that Apple charges so much for their brand name, I usually skip versions.

Notice how the iPT didn't get all the upgrades the iPhone did not long ago? It's almost a forgotten/after thought product, yet the price point isn't very competitive.

I passed on the 1st Mini, and was ready to get the Mini Retina, then passed on it as well because it never had good specials offered like the iPad Air did.

Now with a new product line due out, I've skipped 2 versions of the iPad Mini.

They expect us to buy new every time they come out with a new product, yet they come out about every year, pretty easy to skip a version if you ask me.

4th gen, still usable, look into getting a battery kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1B5iu3ILkY

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I have a fourth generation from 2010. It has iOS 6.1.6 (newest) and it has pretty bad battery (25 minutes maybe). It's still in great condition but due to it being only 8GB of storage, it's probably not worth much and it isn't really worth it to get a replacement at Apple because of the battery issues. I am actually typing on it right now because I'm using my iPhone for iHeart Radio and my iPad is dead:(

We have a total of 3 of the fourth generation iPod touches. The others were bought in early 2012 before the 5th generation iPod touch was released. They work well and still have good battery, enough to play games on for an hour, possibly more than an hour.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
My 4th gen always crashed a lot. My 5th gen I still have now is still goint strong although with a weaker battery because of heavy usage. Get the 5th gen.

I got twice the battery usage on my iPod Touch 5 after installing iOS 8 beta 2. Not that everyone should install a beta version, but that there is hope of extra battery usage coming soon for iPod Touch 5 owners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.