Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adelejjeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Urbana, IL, USA
Hey all. I have a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I decided to change its magnetic HDD with an SSD, so I bought a new SSD and created a Mavericks install USB and installed OS X 10.9 on the new SSD (after formatting it as MacOSXExtended(Journaled)). The installation went fine, but now whenever I boot the mac, I get a circle slash symbol for a brief period of time before it switches to the regular apple logo and the mac boots. I read online that this symbol is usually associated with failed boot attempts, and that it might suggest a faulty hard drive. What does it mean in my situation? Could it be that the SSD I bought is faulty? What should I do, keep on using it, or should I replace my old HDD and return the SSD before something worse happens?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you put the old HDD back in and this goes away, then I would say you drew a badd SSD and should exchange it. That is definitely not normal.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If you put the old HDD back in and this goes away, then I would say you drew a badd SSD and should exchange it. That is definitely not normal.

It sounds like the Mac just doesn't have a default boot drive set. I don't think anything is wrong with the SSD.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like the Mac just doesn't have a default boot drive set. I don't think anything is wrong with the SSD.

I was thinking that too. But all that does is cause a slow boot while it searches for the boot drive. It should not cause that symbol to come up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.