Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markisss88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Hi all!

I wanted to see if anyone had some advice on purchasing an external monitor for a early 2013 15" Macbook Pro fully loaded. I do alot of picture editing along with basic movies & music. Any suggestions would help and sorry if im being vague.

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
Monitor recommendation.

I'm getting a PLANAR PXL2790MW. Tom's hardware has a review. It uses a LG AH-IPS panel that is layer bonded.

Mine is on the way, so I can't comment on actual use yet.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The Planars are very nice indeed.

You might also want to check into NEC PA series and some Eizo monitors.

NEC PA series is very popular with a lot of serious photographers and especially the "Spectraview" series. What makes these monitors a winner is not just the larger gamut but ability to properly calibrate and the bit depth.

Apple monitors are great all around monitors but really are not the best price per feature deals one would think where any sort of graphics are concerned.

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
Do report on this when you get it, I'm leaning towards this or the Asus PB278Q.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you all. I’ve used the monitor for a couple of weeks now, and it defiantly has its short comings.

For one thing, there is a definite buzz that I can hear coming from the back of the monitor. It isn’t loud; but it’s definitely there and it’s annoying. It only occurs when I turn it on; after I get to the mac desktop the buzzing stops.

The advertisements say that this is “bezel-less” but it’s not. I can clearly see a 1’’ black border all the way around.

It does have a glass front, which I like; however, the glass sits about 2cm out from the chin and the back panel has a cheap, plastic feel to it. The stand, a-la iMac, is metal. It is very sturdy and there is no wobble.

The colors are great though and the text is very sharp and clear. There is an overall “crispness”-for lack of a better word-to the icons and text, most likely due to the “layer bonding” previously mentioned.

I find the OSD a bit clumsy to use but all the features that you would expect are there.

Also I came across a rather odd thing; if you plug in a display port-to-mini-displayport adaptor the monitor refuses to power on. I have no idea why this is so.

To be honest, I’m not happy with it. I’m going to try and sell it on Amazon and get a U2713HM as a replacement; I just hope that I won’t notice the crosshatching issues people have reported.

----------

yes likewise - reports shows it is the thunderbolt display killer , with sames specs and half the cost

http://computer-monitors.findthebest.com/compare/4-847/Apple-Thunderbolt-Display-vs-ASUS-PB278Q

I am just going to use it for basic movies & music & websurfing

Posted above.

----------

Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

Dell U2713HM

ASUS PB Series PB278Q - (the one you mentioned)

I'd like to find one with a least 92% of the sRGB color space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.