Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So my boyfriend bought me a refurb Philips blu ray player from Groupon as an early birthday gift (probably a mistake right there). I set it up and tried to watch Star Trek: The Original Series, but it took forever to read the disc and finally said "unknown disc" and wouldn't even attempt to play it. I tried several discs from the box set and got the same message. I then tried National Treasure, and it worked just fine. Frozen also works. However, it wouldn't play Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Les Misérables, or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It also wouldn't play Enchanted on DVD even though I believe it's supposed to play DVDs. For that one it says "no disc".

I haven't been able to update the firmware yet since it's Ethernet-only, and my only USB device I had on hand is formatted for Mac. Hopefully once I get my flash drive it can update and maybe start working properly. Also, it doesn't have any parental controls set.

But before my bf starts complaining to customer service, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any insight? I don't think it's a region issue since the player is Region 1, and my blu rays should be too. A lot of them aren't labeled, but they were purchased either from Amazon itself or Best Buy. Why it won't read a DVD I have no clue.

TIA for any advice you can offer!

1hitwonder

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Im no expert however

Hi

I would almost certainly try an update however i would be worried that a new device won't play certain titles. Even more of a worry is that it wont play dvd's.
In my experience a firmware update has resolved playback issues for me but i have pretty much a 1st generation Bluray player, also i find Bluray takes forever to load so can't see a problem there. Im sorry i can't offer much more in the way of advice.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
A Groupon refurb is not a "new device". You really need to upgrade the firmware before doing anything else. It's like buying a used computer and finding it is running WinXP or OSX Lion. Update before you say it has a compatibility problem. If you have internet access, you must have a way to attach ethernet, even if it is inconvenient. You don't have to leave it there forever, just long enough to get firmware.

BD has a long history of incompatibility with older players and new discs when they come out with some new feature. It has settled down, now. Most manufacturers have always put out firmware that will play the discs. BD discs are not all the same, it is not surprising to find some that don't work they way you want, often all discs from one studio since they are likely all made the same way.

Get it updated, and if you still have problems, I'd just return it if possible. Think: Panasonic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.