Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphisto538

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Just got a new MBA 2014 11" from the Best Buy promotion. When I went to About This Mac - More Info - It says "11-tolline, 2014. aasta algus" right below "MacBook Air". It should say 11 inch. Early 2014. Does anyone else have this problem on their 2014 MBA? All of my language settings are in English and the region is United States.

blck

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
That's strange... It appears to be in Estonian.
Try reinstalling the machine by booting up from the recovery volume (Google it if you don't know how)

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
It seems to be a common issue with new MBA 2014 models. Several have mentioned it. English is the default language, but several places will show what appears to be Estonian. A call to Apple will make them aware, not sure if there is a sure fire fix though.

macphisto538

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I've done the reinstall from recovery partition and also the internet recovery with the same results.

I went to three different Best Buys and the local Apple Store. All display model MBA 2014 units have the same issue.

Attachments

• MBA-2014.jpg
    MBA-2014.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 578

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
i started a thread on it yesterday as id just got a new air. you can change it with text wrangler but now i know its a common problem ill just leave it

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I've done the reinstall from recovery partition and also the internet recovery with the same results.

I went to three different Best Buys and the local Apple Store. All display model MBA 2014 units have the same issue.

I just got in 18 MBA's for my school, and they all have this issue. Strange!

I submitted a Bug Report to Apple.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Did 10.9.4 fix this for anyone?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
Seems to be exclusive to US (with the majority of them coming from Best Buy), haven't heard of anyone in the UK having this issue, my MBA didn't get it either.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Seems to be exclusive to US (with the majority of them coming from Best Buy), haven't heard of anyone in the UK having this issue, my MBA didn't get it either.

I'm from the UK and I have this issue with my macbook air 2014. In fact went into PC world today and looked at the Macbook air s in there and they all also had it

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I just received an email regarding this bug, they suggested to try this:

"Probably a bad cached name from the Applecare servers. Please delete the file at:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist and try again."

I'm unable to test it at this time, can someone try and see the results?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Aside from fiddling around in .plists, reinstalling from a Mavericks USB cleared this up where Internet recovery did not.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill

"Probably a bad cached name from the Applecare servers. Please delete the file at:

Ideal thanks deleting that file and rebooting fixed it

macphisto538

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012

I tried looking for that file. I did the ShowAllFiles terminal command, but that specific plist file isn't in the folder. Any ideas?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
This issue seems to be related to only the MBA. I haven't seen it mentioned on the forums for other machines.

Lou

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I tried looking for that file. I did the ShowAllFiles terminal command, but that specific plist file isn't in the folder. Any ideas?

Copy the entire text: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist

Click your desktop, click Go > Go to Folder

Paste that text, and you should go right to it, and you can easily delete it.

----------

This issue seems to be related to only the MBA. I haven't seen it mentioned on the forums for other machines.

Lou

Seems strange to me, I'm wondering if we'll see a future software update to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.