Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
For those types of services it makes perfect sense to be honest. They now have the pull to make it happen. Were as before when releasing Android mobile they didn't really.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
This makes sense. No one wants TouchWiz on their watch. This isn't the same as no customisation on Android period, it's just Google's rules for OEMs on their licensing program. If you as a customer want to customise your product I'm sure xda will work out something.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I have no interest in Android Wear, TV or Auto, but even if I did, this wouldn't bother me at all..

I'm glad to see Google draw the line somewhere. I wish they could do something about Touchwiz so I could actually begin to consider a Samsung device..

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
While I do agree i have no desire to customize my tv/watch and my Android auto ui, I am rather troubled to where Android is going.

Will it be locked down eventually? No root, roms etc?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
While I do agree i have no desire to customize my tv/watch and my Android auto ui, I am rather troubled to where Android is going.

Will it be locked down eventually? No root, roms etc?

I remember there was talk of the next version being more difficult to root compared to current versions, but from what we know of Android L so far I don't think that's true, at least not yet (unless I missed something).

Google may make stock Android, and by association, the versions of Android used by OEMs, more locked down to get more enterprise customers on board with using it, but will they put a stop to open ROMs? I highly doubt it. Google has always supported the Android ROM scene with its own Nexus phones. I'm sure due to the open source nature of Android it will always be possible to create an open rooted ROM even if stock does become locked down.

This article is nothing to do with the openness of Android though. It's about Google's OEM program. There's no evidence the OS itself will be any more locked down than Android normally is. I give it a week max before one of those watches is rooted by someone on xda.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I remember there was talk of the next version being more difficult to root compared to current versions, but from what we know of Android L so far I don't think that's true, at least not yet (unless I missed something).

Google may make stock Android, and by association, the versions of Android used by OEMs, more locked down to get more enterprise customers on board with using it, but will they put a stop to open ROMs? I highly doubt it. Google has always supported the Android ROM scene with its own Nexus phones. I'm sure due to the open source nature of Android it will always be possible to create an open rooted ROM even if stock does become locked down.

This article is nothing to do with the openness of Android though. It's about Google's OEM program. There's no evidence the OS itself will be any more locked down than Android normally is. I give it a week max before one of those watches is rooted by someone on xda.

What about the fact that aosp gets the the door shut when it comes to Gapps? If google keeps bundling up everything in the play store android will be more locked down.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
What about the fact that aosp gets the the door shut when it comes to Gapps? If google keeps bundling up everything in the play store android will be more locked down.

This is true, but CM is already writing more and more open source replacements for these apps. They have their own dialer, their own music app, probably gonna make their own version of everything else Google is making proprietary too. I hope they do their own gallery. Definitely not using the Google+ Photos app, that thing is a crock of ****.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah i dont see a reason to worry. If Android locks everything down, they will lose a ton of customers. Its what draws most to Android on their phones and Tablets. I completely understand why they would do it on the TV and Auto. Completely different animals we are talking about here.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
In my eyes this is good.

Too many manufacturers put their crap on the phones which slow it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.