Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
I have some credit in my App Store account, enough to purchase Aperture and was waiting to see if a new version would be announced.

It has become obvious over the last couple of days that this not going to happen. Do you guys think it would be worth me making the purchase? I would prefer to use the credit I have in my App Store account, rather than leave it there.

I currently use Canon DPP and iPhoto, but want something a bit better.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I wouldn't buy it. If I had it already, I'd continue to use it until I couldn't, but I definitely wouldn't buy it now. Why begin using something that's already dead and will definitely be a problem for you down the road in 2-3 years?

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I have some credit in my App Store account, enough to purchase Aperture and was waiting to see if a new version would be announced.

It has become obvious over the last couple of days that this not going to happen. Do you guys think it would be worth me making the purchase? I would prefer to use the credit I have in my App Store account, rather than leave it there.

No. Use the money to buy different apps. Aperture is already out of date, you'll likely buy it and then quickly get frustrated with its lack of features that competitors already have.

Alex

killwilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Thank you for your reply, it was what I half expected.

I could get Elements 12 for the same cost from the App Store, or leave the funds there until Aperture replacement comes out next year, but would then have to buy Lightroom to use in the interim, decisions, decisions.:confused:

If the App Store sold Lightroom, I would probably have gone for that earlier.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
If you plan on staying with the Apple ecosystem for a while then I'd say just leave the money in there and chip away at it with whatever purchase takes your desire at the time. You mentioned using Lightroom 'in the interim', but you never know you might like it enough to use it full-time. I do, and have no desire to move platform at all. It really is very good. Then again, elements 12 is supposed to be decent so i don't think you'd regret that purchase either.

Alex

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Thank you for your reply, it was what I half expected.

I could get Elements 12 for the same cost from the App Store, or leave the funds there until Aperture replacement comes out next year, but would then have to buy Lightroom to use in the interim, decisions, decisions.:confused:

If the App Store sold Lightroom, I would probably have gone for that earlier.

From what I recall, Photos is not really a replacement for Aperture. Photos is a replacement for iPhoto.

Also, Elements is a stripped down Photoshop, and doesn't have photo management capability like Aperture and Lightroom.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Use the store credit to get LR and start getting used to it. Don't get in a rush to move libraries to it.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
From what I recall, Photos is not really a replacement for Aperture. Photos is a replacement for iPhoto.

Also, Elements is a stripped down Photoshop, and doesn't have photo management capability like Aperture and Lightroom.

There isn't a feature list for Photos so we can't say what it does or doesn't do (and I don't believe Apple has said it's strictly a replacement for iPhoto). Screenshots look a bit more sophisticated than iPhoto and Photos imports Aperture libraries (in Apple's statement). What that means, of course, remains to be seen.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
There isn't a feature list for Photos so we can't say what it does or doesn't do (and I don't believe Apple has said it's strictly a replacement for iPhoto). Screenshots look a bit more sophisticated than iPhoto and Photos imports Aperture libraries (in Apple's statement). What that means, of course, remains to be seen.

Looking at what Apple has done to iMovie, Pages, Keynote, etc., Photos might even be worse than iPhoto. There is nothing in Apple's software history to suggest that Photos will be an Aperture replacement.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Looking at what Apple has done to iMovie, Pages, Keynote, etc., Photos might even be worse than iPhoto. There is nothing in Apple's software history to suggest that Photos will be an Aperture replacement.

I don't think it will be an Aperture replacement. I think they're gutting everything, but I don't think it will be as simplistic as iPhoto either. Again, just going off of the screen shots.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I could get Elements 12 for the same cost from the App Store,

Sounds like the plan.

Elements will integrate with either Aperture or iPhoto and you can use it with Light Room if late you go that way. It really has everything a photographer needs from the full PS. Early releases of Elements were stripped down but not much is missing from "12". It has layers, masks and so on.

Apple's replacement for Aperture and iPhoto will be FREE and included with Yosemite. But don't get your hopes up. It will likely be very much "dumbed down" in order to have features the same on the IOS and Mac OS versions. It will be targeted to people who shot with the iPhone

----------

I don't think it will be an Aperture replacement. I think they're gutting everything, but I don't think it will be as simplistic as iPhoto either. Again, just going off of the screen shots.

Correct. It will not be as simplistic as iPhoto. It will be more simplistic than iPhoto.

So many people don't use iPhoto because it is "so hard to figure out". The concept of a managed library has so many people confused. Apple is trying to solve that problem. I think they also want to keep the IOS and Mac OS X versions at "feature parity" which means dramatically dumbing down the Mac version.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend the Mac App Store version of Elements, which is actually "Elements Editor." See below for a comparison with the non-App Store version:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buying-guide.displayTab4.html

What seems to be missing is the organization, which is exactly what you're looking for. The "iPhoto" language is what tipped me off. Perhaps they'll change that. The only Aperture-like application I know of in the MAS is Photo Supreme, and I've heard varying reports about it.

I'd use my MAS store money for either an editor, if you need one, or wait and hope. OTOH, some Aperture/LR alternatives are on sale now.

Capture One Express is at $49; a really good deal.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I think it depends on why iPhoto isn't cutting it for you. Do you need more organizational capabilities or better editing? In my case last year I was fine with iPhoto organization but needed better editing tools. That's why I went to Aperture. It would be a tough decision if I was in the same position now. I don't regret buying Aperture but I can't say that I would buy it now. Is it worth spending the $79 and learning time for an expected year of use?

I think it's premature to call Aperture dead. I plan to continue using it well into next year. I doubt I will upgrade to Yosemite until any issues have been fixed. I will also take my time to evaluate the new app.

Contrary to those that think the new Photos app will be significantly dumbed down, read my comments in a post in the Mac Applications section. I think we will gain more than we lose.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Correct. It will not be as simplistic as iPhoto. It will be more simplistic than iPhoto.

So many people don't use iPhoto because it is "so hard to figure out". The concept of a managed library has so many people confused. Apple is trying to solve that problem. I think they also want to keep the IOS and Mac OS X versions at "feature parity" which means dramatically dumbing down the Mac version.

Perhaps. They are definitely trying to solve the user problem and having access to (and manipulating) photos on all devices, something that no one, including Adobe, truly does well yet.

My own take is that, given Photos can import an Aperture library and that the level of control over images shown in the Yosemite variant of the application (or at least the one screen shot) is decidedly more than any current iPhoto implementation, and given the new additions to Core Image and a new focus on RAW processing discussed at WWDC, it's hard to say how the application will evolve. It won't (and can't) be Aperture 4 because it is a complete rewrite. But it may lay the groundwork for some interesting stuff.

I've said elsewhere and I'll say here that I am neither a "creative professional" (merely Enthusiastic Amateur) nor do I use Aperture or LR for my DAM so I have very little to lose if Aperture goes away. But Apple has opened up a lot of hooks into their image processing engine which can do some sophisticated non-destructive editing of images on multiple GPUs. So someone, if not Apple, can eventually do some excellent stuff free from the confines of Aperture or iPhoto. I'm intrigued, to say the least.

BobertKennedy

macrumors member
May 3, 2014

Since Aperture is facing extinction (https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/27/adobe-lightroom-vs-aperture/), your best bet would be the Lightroom/Photoshop CC subscription for $9.99/month. Although Apple has mentioned they will introduce a replacement product, Apple has a terrible record of maintaining backward compatibility -- which is the primary reason why I avoid Apple's software.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Since Aperture is facing extinction (https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/27/adobe-lightroom-vs-aperture/), your best bet would be the Lightroom/Photoshop CC subscription for $9.99/month. Although Apple has mentioned they will introduce a replacement product, Apple has a terrible record of maintaining backward compatibility -- which is the primary reason why I avoid Apple's software.

Or as an alternative, buy Lightroom and Photoshop Elements outright if that's enough for you. :) Or as you're an iPhoto user, hang on and see what the new Photos app has to offer if you don't want to change right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.