Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that it will be removing its Quickoffice app from Apple's App Store in the coming weeks. The move comes as Google looks to integrate Quickoffice into its Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps. Current users of Quickoffice will be able to continue using the app, however new users will not be able to download the app once it is removed.

quickoffice.jpg
Quickoffice for iOS was originally introduced in 2013 and was designed to allow users to view and edit Microsoft Office files, with its launch coming after the announcement of Apple's iWork suite for iOS. Quickoffice also featured integration with Google Drive storage, along with the ability to create .ZIP folders and view charts.

For users looking to continue using Google's web-based office suite on iOS, the company's Google Docs [Direct Link], and Google Sheets [Direct Link] app can be downloaded from the App Store at no cost. Google Slides for iOS will be released in the near future.

Article Link: Google to Remove 'Quickoffice' from App Store Soon

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I don't trust companies to maintain software. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Adobe and others have repeatedly shown utter disregard for user's data. They discontinue products, discontinue data access (read/write of old file formats), etc. Apple is a fool to do this because it means I won't update my hardware so they loose a lot of sales (6x for our family).

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Judging by the (many, angry, pitchfork-laden) reviews on the App Store, this is Google finally putting QuickOffice out of its misery, after gutting it a while back (they ripped out the existing widely-used ability to read/write files from Box and DropBox, leaving a choice of... Google, for cloud storage). Would have been nice if they had the decency to kill it first.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Apple is a fool to do this because it means I won't update my hardware so they loose a lot of sales (6x for our family).

It's Apple's fault that Google is taking down one of its own apps?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't trust companies to maintain software. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Adobe and others have repeatedly shown utter disregard for user's data. They discontinue products, discontinue data access (read/write of old file formats), etc. Apple is a fool to do this because it means I won't update my hardware so they loose a lot of sales (6x for our family).

No kidding - so mad that AppleWorks was discontinued. Having to upgrade to iWork? What BS!

Thank god for companies like IBM, still making Lotus, the office suite that everybody stopped using 20 years ago.

(I wish I was kidding about that, but no, they really still flush money on Lotus, year after year.)

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
QuickOffice can edit MS Office documents? Sure it can, just like all the other "compatible" office suites out there. Until you come across more than a "basic" document edited in MS Office that uses any one of the numerous extra features.

Which reminds me, want to get under the skin of a Linux user?

Tell them you won't use Linux because you need MS Office. When they tell you there are alternatives that can edit Office docs, bring up things like macros or scripting. Then they'll tell you hardly anyone uses those features and they aren't really needed.

Then drop the bomb: ask them why Linux users are always talking about the powerful command line scripting functions you can use in Linux. Why are they such an important feature for Linux, but are "useless" for Office?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I deleted Quickoffice after the update that removed access to dropbox, making it Google Drive only.

Google has made it clear I shouldn't expect any privacy for data that passes through (or is permanently indexed on) Google-owned servers, and I didn't want to have to go through a mental exercise to determine "how private is this particular information?" for every document or spreadsheet I opened or edited.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
QuickOffice can edit MS Office documents? Sure it can, just like all the other "compatible" office suites out there. Until you come across more than a "basic" document edited in MS Office that uses any one of the numerous extra features.

Which reminds me, want to get under the skin of a Linux user?

Tell them you won't use Linux because you need MS Office. When they tell you there are alternatives that can edit Office docs, bring up things like macros or scripting. Then they'll tell you hardly anyone uses those features and they aren't really needed.

Then drop the bomb: ask them why Linux users are always talking about the powerful command line scripting functions you can use in Linux. Why are they such an important feature for Linux, but are "useless" for Office?

I don't understand what your point is. The most popular office alternative on Linux actually has both macros and scripting.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is it possible to somehow download apk to laptop for future installation?

Connect the phone to your computer, open up iTunes, right-click on the phone and select Transfer Purchases. It'll put an icon in the Apps section of iTunes, and then you can right-click on this and choose Show in Finder to get to the ipa file (apk is Android).

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Thank god for companies like IBM, still making Lotus, the office suite that everybody stopped using 20 years ago.

(I wish I was kidding about that, but no, they really still flush money on Lotus, year after year.)

IBM hasn't released a new version of Lotus for over six years, and they officially discontinued it last year.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

It's Apple's fault that Google is taking down one of its own apps?

Did you miss the bolded portion of pubwvj's comment? It was an indictment against them all. Pub is saying Apple shouldn't do it because they will lose his money. Hope that helps with your question.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I loved quickoffice when it had dropbox access. When Google purchased the company and removed dropbox access, suddenly it was as if all my files were taken away from me, for ever :(

The app fell to the last page of my iphone as I waited in hope that dropbox access would return. As the reality became clear, I deleted Quickoffice in one of my iphone app purges.

Now Google is killing quickoffice, but it died for me long ago.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Considering the latest version of Office for Mac is 2011, I think we've all been patient enough. :(

Howso? The next version of Office for Mac isn't late or anything. Since we saw 2013 released for Windows last year, we will most likely see 2014 released for OS X sometime this year. Standard procedure as far as Microsoft is concerned. They've just recently made a quality iPad app too which was in high demand.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
IBM hasn't released a new version of Lotus for over six years, and they officially discontinued it last year.

Interesting - I didn't notice that they dropped the word "Lotus". Anyways, version 9 of IBM Notes (previously called "IBM Lotus Notes") was released last year, and they just released a patch for it a few months ago. IBM's product roadmaps show that they have funding set aside to continue its development into 2016 (and the roadmaps don't go beyond that, so you can't read into that for what they'll do beyond 2016).

Fun fact: 89% of Notes installations are within IBM itself. When IBM touts the growth of Notes, it's mostly fueled by additional installations from IBM hiring more employees. Few companies actually choose to use Notes/Domino instead of Exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.