Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
So my 4S is doing some really weird things - sometimes decides there's so signal when there clearly is, calls don't come through (I just get a voicemail), randomly reboots itself and the phone will often die when the battery is at as much as 35%.

So I need a new phone. It appears I have 2 options:

1. Sell the 4S and buy a 5S. But the 5S is 9 months old and still at full price. In a few months the 6 will come out and I'll have an almost new but suddenly old 5S.

2. Hold out and hope I can cope with the 4S until the 6 comes out at which point my 4S will drop significantly in second-hand value. Plus, there's a chance my 4S will die altogether before the 6 comes out.

Unless there's another option I'm missing?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You could always buy the 5s unsubsidised (16GB model as they keep their value the best) and sell as soon as the 6 comes out. If you keep the box, accessories and the phone in mint condition, the loss you make should be relatively small - maybe $100-200, depending on where you sell.

Otherwise, you could go the opposite way and try and pick up a cheap (but working) iPhone 3GS or 4, again probably costing you relatively little. This should tide you over until the 6 is released.

However I'd definitely wait and try and get the 6, either by doing one of those things or just waiting it out. It looks like it will be a big upgrade, and it's only three months away now.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You could always buy the 5s unsubsidised (16GB model as they keep their value the best) and sell as soon as the 6 comes out. If you keep the box, accessories and the phone in mint condition, the loss you make should be relatively small - maybe $100-200, depending on where you sell.

Otherwise, you could go the opposite way and try and pick up a cheap (but working) iPhone 3GS or 4, again probably costing you relatively little. This should tide you over until the 6 is released.

However I'd definitely wait and try and get the 6, either by doing one of those things or just waiting it out. It looks like it will be a big upgrade, and it's only three months away now.

I would 100% recommend against paying full price for the iPhone 5s at this time. Absolutely DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE.

You aren't going to lose $100-200 with the 16gb model.

You are going to lose at at least $300 minimum if you pay full $650 plus taxes for the 16gb model with intention to resell it at Sept 2014 launch of new iPhone.

Why?

1. Apple lowers msrp of current top of line iPhone by $100 when they launch new iPhone or phase it out completely fast

2. You are competing with current used iPhone 5S being unloaded. Most will resell at $300-400 at most for the 16gb 5s model. Your "new" 5S with 9 plus month warranty won't command more than a $50 premium over current resell market. N

What I would recommend is if you absolutely need an iPhone for next 3 months to try to buy a used iPhone on Craigslist/eBay.

Most iPhone 5S used 16gb are selling for around $350-400 in excellent condition in the Craigslist market these days. Sometimes u can find huge bargains. I picked up a near perfect verizon factory unlocked iPhone 5s 32gb for $420 last month.

If you are able to pick up a used 5S for $350. You should be able to resell it for $300 easily come September 2014.

So consider the $50 "loss" just a 3 month rental.

That's what I would do. Look for used iPhones on Craigslist.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I recently bought a 16GB 5S through eBay with its original box, all accessories and in impeccable condition for £350. Not too bad considering Apple's RRP would dictate nearly £200 higher for the same product.

So you can definitely get some good deals for 5Ss on eBay -- they're not all that much more than the 4Ss.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I would restore as new just to see if that fixes your problem. If that doesn't work.

3. Pay the 4S replacement price at an Apple store for 100-200 (whatever it is). Then sell it when the 6 comes out and upgrade to the 6.

You'll be selling a virtually new iPhone so your get about as good of a price as you can. This will likely cover that 100-200 dollar replacement cost.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So my 4S is doing some really weird things - sometimes decides there's so signal when there clearly is, calls don't come through (I just get a voicemail), randomly reboots itself and the phone will often die when the battery is at as much as 35%.

1. Sell the 4S and buy a 5S. But the 5S is 9 months old and still at full price. In a few months the 6 will come out and I'll have an almost new but suddenly old 5S.

2. Hold out and hope I can cope with the 4S until the 6 comes out at which point my 4S will drop significantly in second-hand value. Plus, there's a chance my 4S will die altogether before the 6 comes out.

Yes. Get an "out of warranty" repair from Apple. Basically, they will give you an identical refurbished 4S at a cost much lower than a normal refurbished phone.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I would restore as new just to see if that fixes your problem. If that doesn't work.

3. Pay the 4S replacement price at an Apple store for 100-200 (whatever it is). Then sell it when the 6 comes out and upgrade to the 6.

You'll be selling a virtually new iPhone so your get about as good of a price as you can. This will likely cover that 100-200 dollar replacement cost.

It's $199 for 4s replacement out of warranty. Most credit card companies also reimburse double warranty so credit card may cover the out of warranty replacement cost

So Op. Hopefully u purchased with credit card and it's less than 24 months old.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014

It would suck to buy a 5s right now especially with such a small screen.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
It's $199 for 4s replacement out of warranty. Most credit card companies also reimburse double warranty so credit card may cover the out of warranty replacement cost

So Op. Hopefully u purchased with credit card and it's less than 24 months old.

Thanks all for the replies, some good advice.

I bought it over 2yrs ago, although it was faulty and got replaced by Apple - so the handset is less than 2yrs. Does that make a difference?

I think I might get a 2nd hand 5S and then sell it when the 6 comes out. It's all extra annoying because I've moved to a SIM only deal which had 4G - but of course the 4S can't do 4G!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It would suck to buy a 5s right now especially with such a small screen.

Yes because that darn 5S is so unusable and everyone needs a 5"+ smartphone. Exactly! All iPhones that pre-date any iPhone that may hit the market with a large screen are absolute garbage. What an intelligible statement and observation!

OP: If you need a phone then buy it. If you can get by with a non-smart phone or whatever then get the iPhone 6 when it comes out, do that. I mean, your iPhone 5S purchase today, if you were to make it, will still be a solid purchase. I assure you and if possible, i would offer a large sum of money to back this up, that if you buy an iPhone 5S today and the iPhone 6 comes out in 3 more months then your iPhone 5S will function exactly the same way. It will be "old" only because you bought it 3 months ago. The aging process of an iPhone is not somehow expedited because there is a new iPhone on the market.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks all for the replies, some good advice.

I bought it over 2yrs ago, although it was faulty and got replaced by Apple - so the handset is less than 2yrs. Does that make a difference?

I think I might get a 2nd hand 5S and then sell it when the 6 comes out. It's all extra annoying because I've moved to a SIM only deal which had 4G - but of course the 4S can't do 4G!

Yeah, unfortunately the credit card extended warranty only covers 2 years from the original date of purchase. So you won't qualify for the extended warranty.

----------

Yes because that darn 5S is so unusable and everyone needs a 5"+ smartphone. Exactly! All iPhones that pre-date any iPhone that may hit the market with a large screen are absolute garbage. What an intelligible statement and observation!

OP: If you need a phone then buy it. If you can get by with a non-smart phone or whatever then get the iPhone 6 when it comes out, do that. I mean, your iPhone 5S purchase today, if you were to make it, will still be a solid purchase. I assure you and if possible, i would offer a large sum of money to back this up, that if you buy an iPhone 5S today and the iPhone 6 comes out in 3 more months then your iPhone 5S will function exactly the same way. It will be "old" only because you bought it 3 months ago. The aging process of an iPhone is not somehow expedited because there is a new iPhone on the market.

I agree with you for the most part if you plan to keep the iphone 5S for the next two years.

But most of us on these boards think resell value and performance of the phone in addition to "timing of the new iphone" because of the way Apple prices their products. Unless their are sales going on it is just plain stupid to pay $199 on contract for a 16GB iphone 5S today.

I would consider the 5S if it were on sale with a contract like the $79 Walmart 5S pricing these days.

But I would not buy the 5S at $199 contract price. Absolutely do not recommend buying full $650 iphone 5S price either.

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Trade it in at Best Buy mobile or get the 5S at Walmart for a reduced price. I traded in my 5 and got $210 for it. I paid a $1.99 for a 32 gig 5S since the prices were reduced $100 for all models.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
You're right about that, totally how I feel.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Hold out and cope.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Assuming you are on ATT. Go buy a cheap GoPhone, Nokia 520 $70, to hold you over for iPhone 6.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I am in the same boat with my 4S. Restored made no difference. Its doing the same things as OP mentioned. I bought my 4S a little over 2 years ago. I tend to hang onto my phones for a long time and not always buy the newest. I love my 4S but maybe it is time to bite the bullet and buy a 5S and wait till the 6S comes outs and stay on the S cycle.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Get yourself a dumb phone for a few months. Maybe you'd like the freedom it brings.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If I were in your shoes, I would buy a 5S now, then sell it for a nominal loss when the 6 comes out. It sounds like your 4S is on it's last leg. I would sell it before I dies completely.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Finally upgraded to the 5S. My 4S just was not cutting it anymore, it served me well for 2 and a half years. Hopefully I get that out of the 5S and move on the 6S or 7.

I am getting excellent battery life out of my 5S.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.PNG
    IMG_0026.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.