Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
My ipad air has a mind of its own when browsing the web. I have used both safari and chrome. I get the same results.

My screen stutters, stops, expands, stops and then scrolls by itself. :(

I did a restore as new. Same results. I thiught this was happening on one particular site but it's happening on other sites.

It's driving me nuts and only started 2-3 weeks ago. I took to the Genius Bar yesterday, he doesn't think it's the ipad but it's the web sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
My ipad air has a mind of its own when browsing the web. I have used both safari and chrome. I get the same results.

My screen stutters, stops, expands, stops and then scrolls by itself. :(

I did a restore as new. Same results. I thiught this was happening on one particular site but it's happening on other sites.

It's driving me nuts and only started 2-3 weeks ago. I took to the Genius Bar yesterday, he doesn't think it's the ipad but it's the web sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would try to do a factory reset and set it up as new to see if that solves the problem, beyond that I've heard of other people experiencing similar problems. It's a real pain because if it doesn't happen all of the time it's difficult to prove when you bring it in as you've found out.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You sure you aren't holding your thumb too far on top of the screen???.

Otherwise it's a defective touch screen if the software restre doesn't work.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Ya, more I see it, the more I think something's wrong.

I did take it in to have it looked at. Of course these issues never happened.

He said it was probably the website.

But it happens on many different sites.

Thanks

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
You sure you aren't holding your thumb too far on top of the screen???.

Otherwise it's a defective touch screen if the software restre doesn't work.

This sounds like a good suggestion to me, the finger rejection is good but it's not perfect. This would explain why the problem appears to happen at random and why the screen appears to expand.

Trellaine, try making a deliberate effort to only touch the screen with one finger and no other part of either of your hands and see if the problem still happens.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Actually I generally scroll with one finger to begin with. And these issues are still random. It drives me nuts. As it shouldn't do this. I was going to to try and video the issues but that's kinda difficult. The screen also will scroll by itself sometimes. With no touching at all.

This all started happening about a month ago.

But the genius guy told me it's probably the website(s) issues. He also says if it was a screen issue it would probably occur on the home screen. Shrug.

Dunno what to do? Drop it off and tell them to check it out?

Thanks for all replies. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.