Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Who cares about color?
It's the same damn phone regardless.
My friend wouldn't buy a 5S because they didn't have the color he wanted.
There are tons of threads here talking about color, including this one.

More than likely people will put it in a case and never even see the color.

Why do people care so damn much over something so stupid?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Probably because it's not stupid to some people.
^^^Right.

Apple having a Black/Slate iPhone 5 was a major factor for me in purchasing the iPhone 5.

Apple NOT having a Black/Slate, but rather a Space Gray and/or Silver iPhone 5s was a major factor for me in NOT purchasing the 5s.

That said, I understand where you're coming from, OP. One's color choice should not color their perceptions of others (see what I did there, LOL?).

Last edited:

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
A lot of people I know don't put their iPhones in covers, so to them color does matter.

And besides that :apple: gives us very little in terms of customization, so let us enjoy the little we have ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Henry Ford had it handled well...

You can have any color you want as long as it's black...

Hobson's choice!:p

Some folks like something more than the Hobson's choice offered by Ford.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
People have a choice and they want to exercise that choice. That's not stupid, IMO. Not as much as this thread, at least.

Its the same reason why your car/clothes/whatever is the color that it is.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Didn't answer my question. What is so earth-shattering about a color?

I don't know, but obviously your friend felt the value of a color, or lack thereof, was more important to him/her than the rest of the iPhone. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Everyone is entitled to their own preferences, including colors, and what value they place on it over other features of a phone. You should ask your friend why color was more important than anything else.

If I didn't like iOS so much, I'd go with an HTC One in red, if I were going strictly on design and color.

Attachments

• HTC-One-Red.jpg
    HTC-One-Red.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 58

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I don't ever think the limiting factor of a phone should be a color. I do agree it's nice to have a choice, but it's an insignificant one at that. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks obsessing over something like this is ridiculous.

----------

Don't ever buy a car. :D

I buy white cars. Do you want to know why? They have high resell value. I could care less what color it is as long as it's in higher demand.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I don't ever think the limiting factor of a phone should be a color. I do agree it's nice to have a choice, but it's an insignificant one at that. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks obsessing over something like this is ridiculous.

Obsessing is one thing...enjoying a choice is another.

I get black, or whatever is closest to it...but I also understand that others prefer to have a choice...which does not obsessing make, imo.:)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on something that will likely be using every day, possibly for 2 or 3 years, why would you want to settle for anything but what you really want? I specifically use either no case or a clear case so that my space grey colour is visible. No, the colour isn't the most important thing in the world, but again, why not get the product that appeals to you in as many ways as possible?

You may have no esthetic preferences, but most human beings do.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Obsessing is one thing...enjoying a choice is another.

I get black, or whatever is closest to it...but I also understand that others prefer to have a choice...which does not obsessing make, imo.:)

You personally aren't. But people make threads talking about colors, saying one is better than the other, etc. and it's all a bunch of hogwash.

----------

So you do care about color. Just checking.

Nope. My situation is somewhat of a paradox. I care about resell value, not how my car looks.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Nope. My situation is somewhat of a paradox. I care about resell value, not how my car looks.

Naw. You care about color. You can confide in us. If resale value colors your choice of car hue, then you care about color. Just face it - you're as bad as the rest of us.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Who cares about color?
It's the same damn phone regardless.
My friend wouldn't buy a 5S because they didn't have the color he wanted.
There are tons of threads here talking about color, including this one.

More than likely people will put it in a case and never even see the color.

Why do people care so damn much over something so stupid?

I do and no it's not. I don't know why I care so much about color but I do.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I couldn't agree more with ya, OP—phones should be treated as equals regardless of color, gender, or sexual orientation. :p

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You personally aren't. But people make threads talking about colors, saying one is better than the other, etc. and it's all a bunch of hogwash.

I believe that the threads to which you make reference are more concerned with the absurd issue of gender specific color issue than that of choice in phone color,

I couldn't agree more that the threads concerning themselves with gender specific color issue are pathetic in the extreme.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I believe that the threads to which you make reference are more concerned with the absurd issue of gender specific color issue than that of choice in phone color,

I couldn't agree more that the threads concerning themselves with gender specific color issue are pathetic in the extreme.

With that said, I'll take black or Space Gray.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014

Thanks!!

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009

That's partly what I'm referencing. I have seen various theads saying "Gold this", "Silver that", and "Space Grey blah blah blah" etc. It's like a color cult. Why not just call the damned thing grey? Apple could call a color "****-stained grey" and people would totally roll with it and not notice how ridiculous it is.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
That's partly what I'm referencing. I have seen various theads saying "Gold this", "Silver that", and "Space Grey blah blah blah" etc. It's like a color cult. Why not just call the damned thing grey? Apple could call a color "****-stained grey" and people would totally roll with it and not notice how ridiculous it is.
I like the idea and name of space gray since it reminds me of space or a spaceship or something.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I like the idea and name of space gray since it reminds me of space or a spaceship or something.

Well why do they have to be so specific? Why not go and attach an adjective to literally every other color in their product line? Apple might as well buy out Crayola.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I liked how Apple called the iPhone 5 Black/Slate. 'Cause calling it slate reminded me of a slab and since it was black/slate it reminded me of the monolith from 2001, the movie.

One of the major reasons right there than won me over to the iPhone 5. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.