Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AgileBits recently launched an iOS 8 version of 1Password for beta testers, which includes support for Touch ID and app extensions, two new developer features introduced with iOS 8.

With the update, 1Password beta testers are now able to use Touch ID to unlock the app's main password, which then allows the app to supply passwords directly to Safari using extensions. The entire process has been demoed in a two Vine videos from Gabriel Nevado (via MacGeneration), who accesses his 1Password content using Touch ID and is then able to enter a password from the app directly in Safari using the Share sheet.

Accessing 1Password on an iOS device with iOS 7 requires users to enter a master password each time the app is opened, and while the app has a built-in browser, it is not possible for the app to input passwords in Safari automatically. With iOS 8's new APIs, apps like 1Password are able to provide a much simpler user experience.

1passwordbetanoteinfo.jpg
1Password beta notes image via Dave Teare
Earlier this month, MacStories shared an in-depth look at app extensions, which allow third-party apps to share services with other apps. The feature also lets developers create widgets for the Notification Center and it allows for custom system-wide keyboards for the first time. Touch ID integration for third-party developers is also one of the 4,000 new APIs Apple introduced with iOS 8.

The iOS 8 1Password update is only available to beta testers at the current point in time, but will likely be released to the public following the official launch of iOS 8, which is expected this fall.

Article Link: App Extensions, Third-Party Touch ID Access Demoed With iOS 8 1Password Beta

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Combining two of the new APIs—it looks great!

Yes, looks amazing. I can't wait for the 1Password update -- not having to enter a master password every time I use the app will be awesome. Entering passwords directly in Safari is pretty useful too.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
The minute I saw the extensions and TouchID stuff from the WWDC keynote, I've been waiting for this.

Cannot wait!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
iOS 8 is going to be amazing.

PS: For anyone that's jailbroken on iOS 7.1.2, iTouchSecure in Cydia has third party Touch ID access. I'm using that to hold me over until the fall.

Last edited:

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
This will be amazing, but a little disconcerted by the statement that the device's passcode can also be used to unlock 1password. I would rather have that disabled and have my master password as backup. Don't know if that is possible.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I love 1password use it all the time. However, I question how the encryption works on the backend. The current database is encrypted with your password. How does it work now ? Is my plain text password being encrypted and then the TouchKitID token is used to decrypt that in a chain ?

I hope they release some tech specs on it or I won't consider using that feature.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This will be amazing, but a little disconcerted by the statement that the device's passcode can also be used to unlock 1password. I would rather have that disabled and have my master password as backup. Don't know if that is possible.

The PIN code is currently optional in 1Password for iOS 7. I assume that this will remain so. They wouldn’t create such a weakness for those devices that don’t have Touch ID, I’m sure.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Can it preselect the right 1password entry (username/password combo) for you based on url or is that part still manual? Looks much better user experience anyway.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I wonder how one gets involved in the beta? Would love to test it. iOS 8 developer here, and I bought iOS 1Password because it's brilliant. :)

PapaC

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
Does keychain access and Touch ID make apps like 1password obsolete?
Never used touch id, so excuse the question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.