Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozenuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
Hi,

I have a 17" Aluminium Unibody 17" Macbook i5 - A1297

It was water damaged but I brought it back to life with a little scrub up and a couple of replacement parts....but, It will NOT charge (No orange light...constant green.....battery not recognised)

Now since it runs sweet as a nut, its just annoying I have to borrow a friends MBR and charge my battery....so would like to know if the charge circuit is at fault and can be repaired?

The Battery runs the memory backup ok so it does actually drain...but other than that ...nothing.

If anyone if familliar with the circuit diagram I was drawn towards two SMD IC's - Q7055 & Q7056 which took the brunt of the corrosion... both are labelled with 7137 ... To1B??? - they seem to have 4 pins each?

photo.php

IMG_1550.JPG

Cheers! :)

Last edited:

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Temp Sensor ~ and unsure of other

I suspect that you are indeed on the correct path.. a T01B is a low operating voltage Temperature Sensor I believe, and may well be part of the Charge Circuit.. the 7137 I cannot say am familiar with.. but if easy for you to change, as pic appears they may well be, I imagine you could buy them both for $5.00 at a local Electronics Parts Wholesale/ Repair Shop..

frozenuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
I suspect that you are indeed on the correct path.. a T01B is a low operating voltage Temperature Sensor I believe, and may well be part of the Charge Circuit.. the 7137 I cannot say am familiar with.. but if easy for you to change, as pic appears they may well be, I imagine you could buy them both for $5.00 at a local Electronics Parts Wholesale/ Repair Shop..

I have included a better photo as the fist one didnt show up...well didnt for me anyway...

Cheers Bobcan on your reply :) - but before I do go to try and change it i need to be sure that is the part that is faulty.... As the laptop works well from mains I dont want to create any further damage :) ... The schematic points towards the U7000 but I cant find that on the PCB?

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
I have included a better photo as the fist one didnt show up...well didnt for me anyway...

I also have the following diagram if you or anyone can understand it better?

Cheers Bobcan on your reply :) - but before I do go to try and change it i need to be sure that is the part that is faulty.... As the laptop works well from mains I dont want to create any further damage :) ... The schematic points towards the U7000 but I cant find that on the PCB?

Hello again.. I can appreciate your trepidation accordingly.. Sadly, my 'expertise' is limited to having taken Electronics courses ~25 years ago, and then really only/any Pro Audio work I have done since.. and surely NOT up to date at all, or very integrated with ANY computer system designs, at all.. Hopefully some good nerds will chime in here to help.. Good Luck again!!

frozenuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
No problem :)

Hi Bob, Thanks again for your reply.... not a problem... Im in a similar boat was a bout a similar time I too done any electrical repair work anything like this....back then it wasnt all SMD!

As said, not in a rush or desperate to do it as the Mac works a treat on mains power...just a real pain to have to get a friends macbook to charge the battery every 4-5 months... shame there isnt an external charger you can get like with the earlier macbooks! ...or construct something but I bet there is more involved with these multipin multifunction batteries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.