Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Is there any way I can administer a web site directly from the finder?

I have a GoDaddy site that I rarely update, but I would very much to drag and drop things rather than use a terrible ftp-style program or web portal to do so.

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
If your willing to pay for something, take a look at transmit. Gives you a split-screen view with your local files on one side and server files on the other...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
. but I would very much to drag and drop things rather than use a terrible ftp-style program or web portal to do so.

I just use "ftp" from the terminal. It's about as simple as can be.

The terminal actually has a drag and drop feature. Drop a file icon onto the terminal and the full path to the file name(s) appear as if you typed it. This makes ftp very quick and easy.

I think most web browsers handle FTP also with easy drag and drop file transfer. Try it. Safari or Firefox should just work.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'd highly recommend you stop using FTP altogether. It is insecure and can lead to server breaches. A much better alternative is to use SFTP which actually encrypts the connection between your computer and your server so that the password is not sent in plain text across the internet like it is with FTP.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Again, I iterate sshfs over MacFUSE. If you're not understanding what it is, it is basically mounting a remote volume via SSH (assuming the server is running sshd) such that you have a network volume you can mount on your local host that is accessible via Finder and is connected via SSH (secure shell). Hence, "sshfs" (ssh filesystem). Unlike SFTP which is using ftp style protocols over an SSH tunnel, SSHFS is a filesystem in userspace (hence "FUSE") and is facilitated by the FUSE modules/drivers to generate that kernel to userspace bridge to create the virtual FS.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If your willing to pay for something, take a look at transmit. Gives you a split-screen view with your local files on one side and server files on the other...

+1 for Transmit, although you can do the job with free (e.g. Filezilla) or shareware (cyberduck) , transmit is a nicely put together app.

Again, I iterate sshfs over MacFUSE.

The practical upshot of this is that since the remote files turns up as a mounted 'volume' any Mac app can access them directly.

Transmit 4 gives you a choice of using the dedicated FTP/SFTP client (which replicates most of the Finder functionality) or mounting the remote site as a volume using 'TransmitFS' (similar functionality to MacFUSE/SSHFS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.