Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches $49 Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter in Online Store

Apple today launched a new $49 Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter in its online store, offering users of the new Mac Pro a way to easily secure their machines using existing Kensington locks. Previously, users had to resort to custom building their own locks or ordering more expensive third-party solutions.

Apple's lock adapter is a simple metal bracket that secures the lift-off cover of the Mac Pro to the base of the machine with a security cable, preventing access to the machine's internals. The cable lock can then of course be secured to a bulky object or dedicated security ring found on some desks to make it difficult for thieves to steal the machine.

Quote:
The Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter lets you use a compatible Kensington or similar style third-party lock (sold separately) to keep your Mac Pro secure. The adapter attaches without tools and does not modify or damage the Mac. With a compatible lock connected, the Mac Pro Lock Adapter secures the housing to the enclosure, preventing access to internal components.
Since the Mac Pro's appearance in its retail stores, even Apple has had to use alternate methods to secure the machines, opting for an Ethernet-based alarm system that simply sets off an alarm when the Mac Pro is removed rather than securing it in place.

The Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter is available now in the Apple Online Store for $49. The adapter is not yet being offered for immediate pickup in Apple's retail stores, but will presumably be making its way to the company's stores around the world in the coming days.

Article Link: Apple Launches $49 Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter in Online Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:32 PM   #2
HowEver
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this will herald a return of safety mechanism ports to the Retinas and Airs.. Oh, who am I kidding. We'll just have to hold those tight wherever we go.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:33 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

My heart skipped a beat before reading the last six words of the title.
AngerDanger is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:33 PM   #4
AndresITC
macrumors newbie

Love but i couldn't resist.
AndresITC is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:41 PM   #5
VersaceX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresITC View Post

Love but i couldn't resist.
You really should've tried harder. That is really tired.
VersaceX is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:48 PM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G5

I guess they have to offer something.

(And that's exactly the level of enthusiasm they had when designing this ugly product!)

Better option: lock it in a cabinet away from easily-tempted eyes. And turn on Find My Mac in case it walks off anyway.

(No lock or cable will stop more than a casual thief. Which is still protection worth having. But an expensive enough item could attract someone who actually exhibits tool-using behaviors.)

You could probably wedge an old Kensington-style lock into a vent slot--and although it would totally fail to lock into place if you tried twisting it, it would at least LOOK like a lock—and that might be enough to deter the most casual thieves.

P.S. Amazon sells a slightly-nicer-looking (and slightly-more-expensive) 3rd-party option. And I kind of expect cheaper options to come along that use only the vent slots--which would also let you choose exactly where you want the cable lock to connect.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Iconoclysm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
P.S. Amazon sells a slightly-nicer-looking (and slightly-more-expensive) 3rd-party option. And I kind of expect cheaper options to come along that use only the vent slots--which would also let you choose exactly where you want the cable lock to connect.
Would the vent slots prevent access to the internals?
Iconoclysm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:06 AM   #8
ricci
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I guess they have to offer something.

(And that's exactly the level of enthusiasm they had when designing this ugly product!)

Better option: lock it in a cabinet away from easily-tempted eyes. And turn on Find My Mac in case it walks off anyway.

(No lock or cable will stop more than a casual thief. Which is still protection worth having. But an expensive enough item could attract someone who actually exhibits toopl-using behaviors.)

You could probably wedge an old Kensington-style lock into a vent slot--and although it would totally fail to lock into place if you tried twisting it, it would at least LOOK like a lock—and that might be enough to deter the most casual thieves.

This is your personal opinion! The level of excitement and enthusiasm was very high for the video and music businesses ! As my music studio has 4 12 core models locked in environment climate control cases! Locked cases and ADT works for us! We don't care about looks, functionality is paramount !
ricci is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:26 AM   #9
iZac
macrumors 65816

At least to stop it being opened, in the Shanghai Apple Stores they just glue a tab into the lock slider so you can't open it.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Hmmmmm, if I were a criminal ....

Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:20 AM   #11
JustinePaula
macrumors regular

"Can't innovate any more, My ass"... Proves how thick this idiot is, an ass is a donkey, and they cannot innovate...

More to the point, why is the power cord on the same vertical plane as the inputs to the device?? Really for $49 Mr Ive could have at least painted it black!!!
JustinePaula is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:49 AM   #12
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I like that it prevents someone from opening it
CrazyForApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:52 AM   #13
JustinePaula
macrumors regular

Agreed, but why now?? Apple had so long to work on this problem, did they only now figure it out, or has some smart rich user sued for bad design, if I had the money, it would be what I would do, class action for bad design, as really it is a shockingly bad design for at least 5 reasons.

Would love to know at what point Mr Ive was told of the need to add this $49 extra, on a $3000 machine, Apple cannot pay the $49!!! Did Dr Beats cost that much??
JustinePaula is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

It has always seemed weird to me that apple does not build in physical security measures into its hardware. As Apple has continued to improve security with Touch ID and find my Apple tools, they should also build in physical security. Otherwise schools and businesses will continue to hesitate purchasing apple. Other hardware companies build in the physical security into their hardware making it more justifiable from an asset management perspective.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 07:14 AM   #15
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

And so the best product pipeline in 25 years continues....
Applefan 2013 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:02 AM   #16
seinman
macrumors regular

As if these security locks actually prevent theft. I work for a company that deployed 20 tabletop projectors, all locked to sturdy bolted-down conference tables with laptop locks. After a year, 15 of them were stolen. Most by people cutting through the wire (sometimes with simple scissors and a lot of time, but the easy way is a quick snip with bolt cutters), one by someone who actually brought a Dremel or similar tool to work with them to cut the lock right off the projector. We had some laptops secured the same way, and simply pulling them hard enough broke off the part of the case that the lock was connected to.
seinman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:13 AM   #17
LoadStar
macrumors newbie

No security cable, bracket, or whatever prevents theft. Anyone who believes that they do is deluding themselves. All they are is a deterrent. Okay lock systems will just deter the opportunistic thief; better lock systems will deter the more determined thief. But either way, with the right tools and enough time, any security mechanism will be able to be bypassed.
LoadStar is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 09:11 AM   #18
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
No security cable, bracket, or whatever prevents theft. Anyone who believes that they do is deluding themselves. All they are is a deterrent. Okay lock systems will just deter the opportunistic thief; better lock systems will deter the more determined thief. But either way, with the right tools and enough time, any security mechanism will be able to be bypassed.
Very well stated LoadStar. Risk and cost need to be balanced. I have insurance on all my equipment, and data is backed up to a different secure location. If my equipment is stolen, it's inconvenient, but that inconvenience isn't worth much more than $50.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 09:31 AM   #19
D-Dave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinePaula View Post
Would love to know at what point Mr Ive was told of the need to add this $49 extra, on a $3000 machine, Apple cannot pay the $49!!! Did Dr Beats cost that much??
Agreed! Apple should provide this part to any customer free (well maybe add shipping/handling) and be done with it. Mostly because it was a design error on Apples Part. Damn it, even the silly Fujitsu Box in my Office (which is only ~1000 €) comes with a Kensington "Hole"
D-Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:06 AM   #20
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
class action for bad design
I don't think that comment even needs a response, just letting it speak for itself.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:11 AM   #21
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerDanger View Post
My heart skipped a beat before reading the last six words of the title.
$50 Mac Pro? Sign me up!

Actually, it could have read “Apple Launches $49 Mac Pro Lookalike Trash Can”, and I would have bought that as well.
GeneralChang is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:26 AM   #22
robot prom
macrumors newbie

Apple needs to include this free with the Mac Pros. Not putting a Kensington slot on the Mac Pro is a design fail. We're holding off deploying these in offices and labs because there's no way to secure them, even from casual theft. Every other Mac has a slot you can attach a security cable to, why is the Mac Pro different?
robot prom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:35 AM   #23
jdiamond
macrumors regular

That was a really awesome point about faux security...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinman View Post
We had some laptops secured the same way, and simply pulling them hard enough broke off the part of the case that the lock was connected to.
Still, a Kensington Cable has to be one level better than just leaving a $4,000 laptop sitting unattended on a table in a public cafe? To me, it's like the difference between leaving $4,000 in hundred dollar bills sitting out in the open, vs putting it in your wallet in your back pocket. Sure, any pick pocket could still get your wallet, but it seems a little less opportunistic.

As another example, people do use locks for their bicycle, even though you can cut the lock...
jdiamond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:01 AM   #24
Meister
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
"Can't innovate any more, My ass"... Proves how thick this idiot is, an ass is a donkey, and they cannot innovate...
More to the point, why is the power cord on the same vertical plane as the inputs to the device?? Really for $49 Mr Ive could have at least painted it black!!!
Its a ****ing lock. Who expects innovation around every turn?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Hmmmmm, if I were a criminal ...Image
Obviously. Nevertheless we also lock houses, cars and bikes, when locks can be broken ...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:17 AM   #25
4jasontv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post
Its a ****ing lock. Who expects innovation around every turn?
Speaking of turns, this really improves my favorite MacPro feature. Now when you try and turn the device and light up the ports it doesn't work... for security!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Hmmmmm, if I were a criminal ....
... you would take all of their peripherals?

Last edited by 4jasontv; Jul 2, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
4jasontv is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion