Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I am considering upgrading but I suddenly realized it might be more difficult to reach the top part of the screen than it is on the 4S.. Is this an issue at all that you've experienced?

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I am considering upgrading but I suddenly realized it might be more difficult to reach the top part of the screen than it is on the 4S.. Is this an issue at all that you've experienced?

Nope. More screen real estate, and still easy to operate with one hand.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Nope, the only difference you'll notice is how thinner and lighter it is. Go to a store and try it out for yourself if you're concerned.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Nope, the only difference you'll notice is how thinner and lighter it is. Go to a store and try it out for yourself if you're concerned.

Nice. Ya that's why I want it, my 4S feels heavy.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm 5'7 and have small hands. I find the 4" screen perfectly usable, though the upper left requires a slight shift in my hand.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Yes, I can't reach the top of the screen. Are you now not going to get one?

Seriously, go to the apple store or carrier of choice, I would think there would be a lot of floor models for you to try rather than asking someone who doesn't match your physical dimensions. (I'm assuming you're mobile and can drive; apologize if your not and can't)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Worrying about how big the 5S is? We're about to go super size with the iPhone 6.
The 5S is tiny, slim and ultra-light.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Initially you'll recognize the difference but after a few days you become accustomed to it.

Now after a week or so, pick up the 4/4s and you'll wonder how you survived with such a small screen and heavy phone!

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
My iPhone 5 has been just fine since I switched from a BB Storm. I do have to shift my hand a bit to reach the top of the screen, but swiping to go back and forth in Safari and some apps has made that easier. It is a bit tall if you're a woman and have shallow pockets.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Well, unless you're planning on keeping your 4s forever, you might as well get used to it. Phones aren't exactly getting smaller these days.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I find it somewhat hard to reach the upper right corner of the screen on the 5S without repositioning my grip on the phone. I didn't have this problem with the 4S. I also suggest that you visit a store, and use one before you buy.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I find it somewhat hard to reach the upper right corner of the screen on the 5S without repositioning my grip on the phone. I didn't have this problem with the 4S. I also suggest that you visit a store, and use one before you buy.

That's what I feared. How about reaching the Safari URL/search bar?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Personally, I have to reposition the 5/5s/5c in order to reach the top corner. However, I'm 5'1" and have small hands. YMMV.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Come on people, this isn't a problem. Of course a larger anything requires a slightly different grip etc. You're used to using a smaller device and will soon get used to using a slightly larger device. Look at the benefits of the larger device, and the negatives of the smaller device, rather than concentrating on perceived negatives with the newer one. The newer phones will be a big leap in size, the jump from the 4S to the 5S is minute.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Nope. Not an issue for me and I have small hands too!

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Personally, I have to reposition the 5/5s/5c in order to reach the top corner. However, I'm 5'1" and have small hands. YMMV.

How about the Safari nav/url bar?

----------

Come on people, this isn't a problem. Of course a larger anything requires a slightly different grip etc. You're used to using a smaller device and will soon get used to using a slightly larger device. Look at the benefits of the larger device, and the negatives of the smaller device, rather than concentrating on perceived negatives with the newer one. The newer phones will be a big leap in size, the jump from the 4S to the 5S is minute.

I honestly don't care about having a bigger screen. The only reason I want a 5S is the speed and weight/thinness.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How about the Safari nav/url bar?

----------

I honestly don't care about having a bigger screen. The only reason I want a 5S is the speed and weight/thinness.

Have you considered going to an apple or carrier store to actually try it out rather than asking people who don't match your hand size to give you their opinion.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Have you considered going to an apple or carrier store to actually try it out rather than asking people who don't match your hand size to give you their opinion.

Yeah I went to AT&T but 1. Most of the apps wouldn't load/open normally because the phone/wifi weren't activated and 2. The security thing latched on the back made me unable to hold the phone properly. I need to mess w my friend's.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah I went to AT&T but 1. Most of the apps wouldn't load/open normally because the phone/wifi weren't activated and 2. The security thing latched on the back made me unable to hold the phone properly. I need to mess w my friend's.

Go to a verizon or apple store, when I played around with them most apps were activated.

I understand about the security thingy, but what you are doing is akin to asking your friend to try on a suit you want and ask how he likes the fit.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

Where do you get the nerve to tell me this isn't a problem?

People on this forum really need to get a grip, and stop telling others what is right for them.

BTW, I prefer black phones, why don't you tell me why gold is better?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Well, unless you're planning on keeping your 4s forever, you might as well get used to it. Phones aren't exactly getting smaller these days.

I hope Apple doesn't totally abandon those of us who don't want to carry a supersized smartphone. But there will always be options if they do, even if those are almost unthinkable to me right now.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I hope Apple doesn't totally abandon those of us who don't want to carry a supersized smartphone. But there will always be options if they do, even if those are almost unthinkable to me right now.

I know, I'm wondering if I should just get a 5S now and deal with a "slightly" too big phone vs keeping the 4S which will continue to get slower.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I know, I'm wondering if I should just get a 5S now and deal with a "slightly" too big phone vs keeping the 4S which will continue to get slower.

Have you just beamed in from 1999? The 5S is a tiny phone. It's really, really small by today's standards. Small, thin and super-light.

You can probably pick one of these 8210 models up on Ebay. Retro too for the hipsters.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.