Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two weeks ago, Reuters released a report suggesting the iWatch's screen might measure in at 2.5-inches diagonally. The rumor came as a bit of a shock, because previous reports had all pointed towards a device with a much smaller display, in the range of 1.3 to 1.7 inches.

Previous concept images and videos have all centered on designs with smaller screens in line with past rumors, but SET Solution has created a new concept video demoing what a 2.5-inch iWatch might look like.

While it is hard to determine the size of the watch in the concept video given the lack of a reference point like a wrist, the slight curve to the display and the rectangular shape are also design details that were provided by Reuters. According to the site, the iWatch will protrude slightly from the band to create an arch shape that will fit around a wrist, and the face is expected to be "slightly rectangular."

Very little is known about the iWatch's user interface and operating system, aside from rumors suggesting that it will run a version of iOS 8. The iPhone-style app display in the video is pure speculation, as are the device's dimensions and battery life.

In addition to a 2.5-inch display size, the iWatch may also be available in smaller variations, as rumors have pointed towards multiple sizes and styles to fit a wide array of fashion preferences. The device is also expected to include multiple health and fitness sensors, wireless charging, and access to features like Messages and notifications through iPhone/iPad integration. Currently, rumors are pointing towards an October release date for the device.

Article Link: 2.5-Inch iWatch Concept With Curved, Rectangular Display Demoed in New Video

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
All these concepts are just trying to recreate the iOS on the wrist. The moment you try to set out on that goal, it just doesn't work.

I'd be disappointed if my iWatch was just iOS with health sensors.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Wow. You might as well just slap a iPhone 4 on your wrist. Way to big.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
I'm starting to have my doubts. I know this is a concept, but 6 day battery life in a profile of THAT size hmmm. If Apple can't 'get it right' they just won't do it, and if the early reviews of Android Wear are any indication -- they aren't worried yet.

I'm beginning to prepare myself for the biggest gasp of 2014 when they announce the iPhone 6 and there's no 'One More Thing.'

How is it possible for there to be zero leaks whatsoever if it really were to launch in October. Best kept "secret" since the 2007 iPhone.

creanium

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
All these concepts are just trying to recreate the iOS on the wrist. The moment you try to set out on that goal, it just doesn't work.

Agreed.

Remember in 2006 when people making "iPhone Concepts" were all convinced it would just be a big iPod that can make phone calls?

iphone_041.jpg

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
The idea that the iWatch will be a miniaturized iOS device is off base. I see the device using a set of APIs similar to CarPlay. Yes it will have sensors, etc., but it will essentially mirror data from the iPhone in a very set and well defined manner. I think we can safely assume the "app grid" will not be making its way to the watch face.

ensee

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
I'm sure a lot of the iPhone concepts which floated about before it was announced in 2007 were basically iPod derivatives. This is what's happening again. Mini iPhones for your wrist. I really hope it's something more original.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't want a watch that does the same things my phone does. I'd love having a watch that shows the time and indicates GENERALLY if I've received important text messages/emails (Subject/Sender) or calendar alerts. But I don't want to interact with a watch all the time for everything I do with my phone.

I'd much rather a watch track my steps, activity, heart rate, that kind of thing, and offer some utility in terms of showing me important things. But the minute my watch is telling me it's time to check the crops in Farmville all is lost.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Can't imagine apple'd fundamentally change the paging interaction, as shown here, to swipe up/down instead of left/right. For a lot of reasons.

But the video is pretty.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
This is the concept for the new Galaxy Gear 3 AMOLED/Hyper Active/XXZR4Ti....S That's actually Tizen, which they are skinning to look exactly like iOS. I will be called tiOSen SS+UltraHD_Mark ZVXZ Premium Edition. Rolls off the tongue right?

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
What an aweful watch, the accuracy is appalling!

My $5 Casio is accurate to about +/- 10 seconds.

That watch is out by over 7 hours !!!!!

Still, I'll probably queue up for it anyway..

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
The video was all right, but did anyone else think the music was just tops? I also liked their logo at the end. Good stuff.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
That doesn't look "slightly rectangular" to my eyes. Along with many others here, I'm hoping Apple's concept is much better than slapping iOS as done on the iPhone onto one's wrist.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Lamest concept yet, and that's saying a lot.

----------

While it is hard to determine the size of the watch in the concept video given the lack of a reference point like a wrist

And do you know why? Because it has no size. Because it's a concept video. It does not exist.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Where the hell do all these things come from? Do people do them to show off their ability to make marketing videos or something? These things look like they take tremendous amounts of time to create. Of course, MacRumors loves showing off these things, too ("demoed" is probably not appropriate).

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Where the hell do all these things come from? Do people do them to show off their ability to make marketing videos or something? These things look like they take tremendous amounts of time to create. Of course, MacRumors loves showing off these things, too ("demoed" is probably not appropriate).

I believe many of them are actual final student projects.

I half agree with you... but then again... back in early Jan of 2010 I would have agreed with "I'd be disappointed if my iTablet was just iPhone OS with a larger screen" but that's exactly what Apple did and they made it work with the simplicity. I can easily see Apple doing the same thing with the iWatch (especially if the 2.5" screen is accurate). Adjust a few apps, take out a few apps, add a few apps, add some sensors, and bam iOS on a wrist. I mean that's exactly what they are doing in the car.

----------

I think we can safely assume the "app grid" will not be making its way to the watch face.

You sure about that? The iPod Nano is 2.5" and it has an app grid ( and it's not even running iOS).

No way apple is going to just do a mini iPhone for the wrist. If they do it will be named iphail

A couple months ago I would have agreed with you, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense and the more "Apple" it seems to me. If it's 1.3-1.7" then no way, but if it's 2.5" I can easily see them doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.