Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanmojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
My iPhone 4's flash light is always on, very dimly, all the time. I can't get it to turn off. I see this is a common issue, I have tried a few things:

1. Rebooting iPhone.
2. Letting battery run out. (The light stays on even when the battery has died, so I guess there is some reserve power there even when the iPhone says the battery is dead.
3. Tapping the iPhone on the back (some people have said this works).

Can't seem to fix it. I suspect it is making the battery drain faster. Any other tricks to take care of this without replacing the camera?

Thanks.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Wow, that's really strange!

The circuit that drives it must be leaky, allowing a tiny bit of current to flow, just enough to make it glow. And I guess that circuit is on the "always on" side of the power circuitry.

Does the flash work when you turn it on with the flashlight button or take a picture? The phone is obviously defective but I'm curious.

Hey, maybe you can see it as a new feature unique to your phone! Never lose it in the dark again; just set it down facedown. Heh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.