Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nate32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
Hey,

I have a MacBook white from 2008 and I gave it to my parents, and they would like to mirror the screen to a TV with has Apple TV some websites.
Is it possible to jailbreak/hack or the Mac or the Apple TV to be able for Screen Mirroring?

I havent bought the Apple TV yet.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hey,

I have a MacBook white from 2008 and I gave it to my parents, and they would like to mirror the screen to a TV with has Apple TV some websites.
Is it possible to jailbreak/hack or the Mac or the Apple TV to be able for Screen Mirroring?

I havent bought the Apple TV yet.
For that old of a MacBook, you will have to directly connect it to the tv using and hdmi cable (assuming tv has hdmi input), adapter for connecting hdmi cable to the MB and I am pretty sure an audio cable from the MB to the tv. Using an aTV will give you that ability to mirror that old of a MB. That MB does not have the required hardware to mirror wirelessly.

Nate32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
Check out AirParrot. I use it to mirror my mid 2010 iMac to my Apple TV, and it works great. I think the full version is $10, but there's a free trial as well.

And should I buy a 2nd or 3rd gen Apple TV? I ask this because I heard that you cant jailbreak the 3rd gen.
Or whit parrot I can screen sound too?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Check out AirParrot. I use it to mirror my mid 2010 iMac to my Apple TV, and it works great. I think the full version is $10, but there's a free trial as well.
You're right. I forgot about that app, bought it and ended up not using it. I will note that a 2008 MB CPU may be underpowered. I have a 2009 duo core and got a lot of stuttering and my CPU got quite hot while using it. Definitely give it a good challenge during the trial period before buying.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I would agree with mic j in saying just hook it up wired. Air parrot kind of works, but in my experience with it, it's no where near fluid enough to mirror most things. You'll most likely see a lot of stuttering. Wire is the best on the older machines.

Nate32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
And do I have any other possibilities with a jailbreaked 2nd Gen Apple TV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.