Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple continues to be the number one handset manufacturer among consumers in the United States and has also made small gains in operating system share, according to ComScore's newest monthly survey of U.S. mobile phone users covering the February-May 2014 period.

Apple's smartphone market share increased from 41.3 percent in February to 41.9 percent in May, allowing Apple to retain its position as the top handset manufacturer. Samsung also made small gains over the period, rising to 27.8 percent share. LG, Motorola, and HTC's share fell slightly.

comscoresmartphoneoems.jpg

While Apple is the top handset maker, iOS has always fallen behind Android when it comes to operating system share, given the large number of Android-based phones on the market. Apple did make small gains during the period, however, rising to a new all time high of 41.9 percent, up from 41.3 percent in February. Android, in comparison, remained flat with a 52.1 percent share.

comscoregraph.jpg

iOS continues to be the only platform to gain ground as Microsoft also experienced no growth and BlackBerry and Symbian each saw small drops in share.

comscoresmartphoneplatforms1.jpg

ComScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, which means it is more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies.

Article Link: Apple Makes Gains in U.S. Smartphone Market Share

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
No surprise, despite having nothing all that new and unique to offer. You know why?

Have you ever picked up an Android phone at your local phone store? They are SO BAD compared to iOS it's insane. The entire web it seems is now optimized for iOS and clunky, jumpy Androids try to display full web pages and don't **FEEL** good to use.

In the long run, unless Google or somebody else finds a way to smooth things out, this trend will continue.

mobilemac

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
It will be interesting to see what happens to iOS share once Apple is no longer hobbled by only selling 4-inch screens. Seems like almost everyone I know who has gone Android, has a 5-inch screen (and that was a big factor in their switch).

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
My god does it irritate me that they lump premium phones from a single manufacturer in with phones of varying price points from a hundred disparate manufacturers together and call it market share.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Stop the presses!!!! A whopping 0.6% increase! Time to break out the champagne.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If Apple releases 2 new screen sizes, there will be some "accelerated" growth! :D

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
No surprise, despite having nothing all that new and unique to offer. You know why?

Have you ever picked up an Android phone at your local phone store? They are SO BAD compared to iOS it's insane. The entire web it seems is now optimized for iOS and clunky, jumpy Androids try to display full web pages and don't **FEEL** good to use.

In the long run, unless Google or somebody else finds a way to smooth things out, this trend will continue.

Meh. I go back and forth between iOS and Nexus devices now. They each have their own learning curve, about six weeks to really get the OS down. Once I was proficient at both, it turns out they are more or less the same now neither offering much more than the other - except Android has a real notification system while Apple's version is pretend - and Apple has slightly more responsiveness due to superior capacitive screen touch sensing hardware that detects movement/touch in half as many milliseconds.

vanduynamite

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Wrong chart

First chart is a duplicate of the second chart. Should be showing OEM and not platform? Funny cause the percentages for Apple are the same in both charts.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
My god does it irritate me that they lump premium phones from a single manufacturer in with phones of varying price points from a hundred disparate manufacturers together and call it market share.

Exactly. Since every phone is essentially a smart phone now, it's pretty impressive Apples market share is so high in both handsets and OS.

The same is true to some extent with their computers. Because there are so many PC makers, Apple is usually up at the top of the list for computer sales, even when they only had 10% of the market.

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010

Entire web is optimized for iOS? Android tries to display full web pages? First of all the web is handled by web browsers. And I don't know what browser you've used on Android for it to display full web pages on default but that's some BS when it comes to stock or the other popular browsers for Android.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

If they don't do it this way, the real ugly picture of android will be revealed and fanroids will have heart attack everywhere. ;)

Meh. I go back and forth between iOS and Nexus devices now. They each have their own learning curve, about six weeks to really get the OS down. Once I was proficient at both, it turns out they are more or less the same now neither offering much more than the other - except Android has a real notification system while Apple's version is pretend - and Apple has slightly more responsiveness due to superior capacitive screen touch sensing hardware that detects movement/touch in half as many milliseconds.

Can you elaborate on "real notification system" and "pretend" one? :confused:

supermarino

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012

You realize on that chart the gain in Apple came from a drop in Blackberry, right? Not that this is a bad thing, I mean, those who switch didn't choose Android, but it's not as if those on Android phones are jumping ships to switch to iOS.

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010

You failed to read the data correctly.

icyrock1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014

They only seem to do it when it's a disadvantage to Apple. Remember when the iPad wasn't counted in the PC marketshare, but now it is?

Personally, I think they do it that way because it gets people to read there reports, giving them credibility and recognition (plus, more people will report it if they make Apple look bad, due to the shock value).

ebrown17

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013

Not trying to argue. In what way is the notification system "pretend" with iOS?I've messed around with android but never owned one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.