Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today released a new ad for its Galaxy S5 smartphone, which mocks the iPhone for having both an unchangeable battery and a short battery life. The ad depicts forlorn iPhone users sitting along walls in an airport as they charge their iOS devices, while Galaxy S5 users eschew battery charging with Samsung's power saving mode and the Galaxy S5's replaceable battery.

"There they are. Clustered around power outlets, near the recycling bins, stained carpeting, and bathrooms. Tethered to the wall. Denied the freedom to enjoy even the most basic things, like grabbing a drink, or sharing a laugh with your co-workers. Or sitting with someone you know. You're stuck here until your battery says so."
An iPhone user charging his battery looks up enviously at a Samsung user, asking "Are you changing your battery? Is that the new Samsung?" While another Samsung user turns on power saving mode to save battery. "Don't be a wall hugger," says the ad.

Unveiled in February, Samsung's 5.1-inch Galaxy S5 is its newest flagship device, with a fingerprint sensor, a water resistant casing, and a heart rate sensor. One of the device's most highly-touted features is an Ultra Power Saving Mode, which activates a black and white display with limited app access when the phone's battery is low.

In power saving mode, users only have access to basic phone functions, such as making and receiving calls, accessing email, and browsing the web. It limits cellular connectivity to 3G, turning off LTE, and it also disables WiFi and Bluetooth. According to Samsung, this provides an additional 24 hours of standby time with less than 10 percent of battery left.

Apple does not have a similar power saving feature on the iPhone, nor does it have a removable battery like the Galaxy S5, but users do have quick access to settings like WiFi and Bluetooth, along with options to disable battery draining features like background app usage and location services. iOS 8 also adds a function that lets users see which apps are draining the most battery.

Samsung often turns to iPhone bashing to promote its Galaxy line of smartphones, with its most well-known commercial series depicting iPhone owners waiting in long lines for new iPhones while enviously eyeing Samsung devices.

Article Link: Samsung Bashes iPhone Battery Life, Calls Users 'Wall Huggers' in New Galaxy S5 Ad

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Maybe that will help push Apple towards improving the battery. I see no negatives about increasing battery life.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Without Samsung, this world would be a boring place! They keep us entertained with jokes. Galaxy is a bigger phone than iPhone thus includes a bigger battery.

UPDATE:

iPhone 5/5S: 1440 mAh
Galaxy S5: 2800 mAh

Like I said before, that's twice as much power but a slightly bigger screen.

Last edited:

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
The only one who should be able to make fun of Apple regarding battery life is Motorola. The Droid Maxx has amazing battery life, and I wish Apple would offer a less slim model with more battery life like the Maxx.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008
Lol

Samsung advertising that its phones have the best battery life is equivalent to Apple advertising that its phones have the biggest screens.

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
lol.... that was pretty well made. :)

I like the idea but do hope the extra is not going to cost me another 100 quid.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Sad part is, the iPhone battery life isn't that bad. Who needs promotion when Samsung does Apple's promotion for them? :p

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Samsung "innovation" at its finest...well, we can't fix the battery, but we'll let you swap a new battery in and/or make your phone useless in the time being. Translation: yeah, we can't fix the problem either. In other news, we've introduced a band-aid and duct tape to make it just go away.

Call me when their battery (or any battery) lasts more than 12 hours with regular use.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
apple can do 3 things...
increase battery,
make it user replaceable (not gonna happen)
do nothing (which most likely gonna happen)...

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Maybe that will help push Apple towards improving the battery. I see no negatives about increasing battery life.

I agree. There's a bit of truth to it. 3 years ago my phone outlasted the battery life of any of my friends with SGS II's... but now all my friends with SGS5 get through the day and I need to carry a battery pack charger around.

One thing apple continues to stagnate on is battery life, while everyone else has moved ahead. They made it a priority on they laptops, but it seems it's back burner for the phone.

oneofakind

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Bay Area
Damn

:eek: that was a shot below the waist ha iPhone 6 better have improved battery life. It's True but I'm a happy wall hugger when I need more juice, I wouldn't trade my happiness for anything in the world ha

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
apple can do 3 things...
increase batter,
make it user replaceable (not gonna happen)
do nothing (which most likely gonna happen)...

4: Invest heavily in graphene based capacitor technology and be the first phone with it. :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Samsung advertising that its phones have the best battery life is equivalent to Apple advertising that its phones have the biggest screens.

As much as I hate Samsung, the battery life on their Galaxy line is much better than the iPhone. And they're a company using third-party CPUs on an OS that isn't really optimised for anything.

Some people retort to Apple bashing with rightful indignation. Other times, they'll blindly defend Apple even when the competitors make a good point. This is the latter.

Last edited:

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I'm not a fan of Samsung, but...

Good show Samsung. I'm not a big fan, but that's a damn good commercial.

Apple better get the 1000+ member ad team to pump something out on the double.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I've heard that the battery life is worse on Samsung phones. The only Samsung feature I'd want is a water-resistant casing.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Okay, Another example of pointing out advantages of their product over another…. in this case it is battery.

Big deal.

Interchangeable battery? 1997 wants its innovation back.

I'd rather have a changeable battery than non replaceable. But thats my preference.

On the other hand… Back in 1997, small portable batteries like we have no weren't so common and cheap… so integrated battery isn't such an issue- unless you need it replacing due to a fault.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Well, it’s true. I was at the airport last week, tethered to the wall even though the batter was 87% full, afraid id have to manually go on power saving mode by rationing the use of gaming or limiting usage to just music listening 3 hours in to my upcoming flight. I do hate I cant just pop in a new fully charged battery but, Apple is already working on that and Samsung is sure to copy – faster than they did, the finger print thing. In cell display integration with solar charging on the iphone 8s

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
That is really funny since my friends with androids ARE always out of charge, while my 4S is still kickin.

Samsung is a joke with these false adds, at least in my experience.

I'll take my compact 4S any day over the fatass galaxy phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.